Quickly Impressed by the Bogner Burnley

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Longer, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Longer

Longer Member

Popped into a GC and played the burnley for about 15 minutes. Used an American Strat through a Twin RI to best mimic my setup.

Yeah! The burnley at lower volumes sounded great. The Tight switch killed for my dirt rhythms and the Fat was thick and singing on leads.
    I was truly impressed.

So... To those who own it;
    What amp are you using?
    Does the burnley sound even better loud?
    In a band mix?
    Are you digging it more and more?
    Any reason I shouldn't pick it up?
    Please do tell!

2. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

Isnt this the pedal that put Bogner out of business? My condolences Bogner.

3. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

I had similar impressions at a recent hour long play at Guitar Guitar (UK kind of GC place)

Lovely at everything, the only thing I'd note is I found it better with the F/T switch on F all the time - but I expect that might changed during a band mix setup...

I'm probably going to sell my Wampler Triple Wreck I've got sitting spare, and might get the Burnley to try out against the Suhr Riot and Blackstar LT-Metal that are on my new board just now, based on my hour with it, it's got a good chanced of kicking either (or both maybe?) of the above off my board!

4. Longer

Longer Member

Yes, I got the same feeling, that it could possibly knock a pedal or 2 off the board!
    But I try to never buy something instantly. I prefer to torture myself for a few weeks. :)
    Anyway, just wondering if people are still digging theirs.

5. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

also picked one of last week. I have to say I was quickly impressed too. The F switch with the gain all the way up will make a chord sustain forever. Really thick. Gigged with it, and it was loud. Really loud.

However, after doing a A/B test with it and lots of other OD pedals and stack options, I think I am going to return it. It has a big sound, but also a very limited frequency range. Lots of mid freq, and I want less color. I get the love for it though. I love the Bubinga version.

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I have a demo coming very soon-
    I think it's a really outstanding pedal, but it wants to be used into a bright amp- so if you play a Fender with the bright switch on, or have say a Deluxe Reverb RI, or maybe an ac30 top boost, this pedal will work great.

7. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

^^^^That was my impression from demoing it Pete. Bright amp would be a good match.

8. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Agreed

I found it really dark but sweet with gain and sustain. Reminded me of my OCD but with more gain and saturation

9. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

It is a heavenly pedal for me. I use Strats, and play leads on the bridge pickup, and run my pedals into a clean fenderish amp.
    With that it mind, it works wonderfully in fat mode to really beef up the eq, smooth out the highs, and provide plenty of sustain and output.
    I use it for my high gain lead sound exclusively.

10. samtheman

samtheman Member

One of my fav pedal...

/sam

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

I could never get it to work live for me...the levels were off...

Tonally it turned my strat and tele into a Les Paul and it sounded great but my levels were always off...kick it on and solos were too loud and then kick it off and my cleans were too quiet...I was always reaching for my volume control and as the singer in my band I can't have that...

Where I like to set the volume (11-2oc) and gain (1-2oc) is way louder than my clean tone...

Setting the volume lower yields a thinner and more compressed tone...also I liked to set the gain higher as the pedal gets brighter as you up the gain...

Set like that I never had a problem with it being too dark as I use Celestion Golds...just the on/off level differences were too drastic for me...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  12. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I'm still LOVING the Bogner Burnley pedal!
    [​IMG]

It just has the distorted tone that I go for & it sounds great at any volume too.

I use mine through the clean channel of my 50 watt EVH 5150 for low volume practicing at night. It's the only way to play through this amp at my condo too!

Here's a quick clip I made in the "FAT" mode at a very low volume & it just has a very nice sustain too.

http://instagram.com/p/x-rM_gykHI/

I did take my Rig & pedals over to my friends huge studio & we blasted this thing at a very LOUD volume & things only got better from there. We a/b'd it with the Blue Channel of my EVH & w/ his Splawn Street Rod & we could make it sound like either amp too! It was very convincing.

I say "Get it" & "Keep it"!

Good luck in your gear search too!

Peace! X-Mann

13. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I also have started recording w/ the Bogner Burnley direct through the front end of my Eleven Rack Digital Modeler too. It also works very well & has its own unique flavor. I go through a clean amp module & run the pedal through the input just like you normally would w/ a real tube set-up.

You can hear the Burnley from 1:12 to 1:46 as my lead solo over the 1st verse section in this video.

http://youtu.be/rCWDxu-_ECY

The video is actually an annual Carvin Christmas NAMM Jam that I do w/ othee Carvinites. FYI

Results will vary based on your set-up & use, but I'm not selling this pedal at all since it sounds SO good for what I try to do w/ it.

X

14. ken374

ken374 Member

I had a 68 custom twin with the burnley it didnt sound great, I always used the bright off. The 68 deluxe reverb sounds better because it doesnt have a bright cap. Some reason having that cap in the circuit it had some highs in it with pedals. Another twin owner said the same. I got rid of the amp after a year and now have the new DSL 40 it kicks serious ass!prb better then most amps I owned and I had lots. It can be bright once the speaker breaks in and diff premap tubes im pretty impressed.

15. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

The Burnley sounds great live.