Quietest Distortion Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by D 2 Z, Aug 14, 2008.

1. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

What did you find to be the quietest distortion you tried when not playing anything. Im looking at marshall gain and higher.

I heard radial tonebone was pretty quiet but only from the ad which could just be advertising.

2. hide

hide Member

when i had the tonebone classic previously, my Rat2 was quieter on the same gain settings.

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

My Vintage RI Rat is pretty quiet. My volume is usually set at unity so I haven't tested higher gain stuff at higher volumes. But for the most part, very quiet distortion box.

4. Pavel

Pavel Member

I find the CMATMODS Brownie (BSIABII) quiet for a dirt pedal.

5. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

Jetter Gain Stage Green. Best distortion pedal I've ever owned.

6. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

But was it quiet. I really dont like any hum or background noise but i dont want to use a noise suppressor.

7. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

It's quiet. It's like a DS-1 that really sounds like a Marshall. I've owned other higher end distortion pedals over the years. This one is different.

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Jetter's are amazingly quiet

9. jstone

jstone Member

Sorry guys :)
    Quiet distortion ????
    A new term for me...
    I like my distortion pedals to be loud and clear :)

10. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

In this context, this is a distortion box that brings the least unwanted noise to the table. I've had distortion boxes that picked up radio stations and/or made my amp squeal uncontrollably; even with pedal gain at moderate levels.

My take on the distortion pedal that introduced the least amount of "unwanted noise" has been the Diamond Fireburst. I don't think enough pedal builders pay attention to shielding, circuit design or even component selection as it applies to either noise rejection or the potential of creating unwanted noise in the signal.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  11. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Anyhting Pete Cornish!!

12. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Quietest distortion pedal?
    The one that is off! :BEER

Well, on a serious note..
    Skreddy Screwdriver (I suppose everything by them?)
    Demeter FUZZulator
    T-Rex Mudhoney (or anything by them)

Can't agree on the RAT.. Mine is a lil bit noisy..

13. jstone

jstone Member

I did understand that...but honestly the two words noise less and quiet sounds wrong for a DISTORTION unit.

Composition is important. I use mostly WIMA and AVX capacitors in my designs since they are much better sounding and more quiet than the rest of the bunch.
    Opamp's and Transistors are also responsible for noise generation in a distortion pedal circuit. We can not forget that most of these components are design for other purposes.

Shielding are typically most needed with open circuits most pedals are housed in its shield / ground. And are by shat shielded by a 2mm thick housing.

Well I prefer to like the sound when playing and would rather have a higher noise floor than a terrible sound. Sometimes things are that simple from the designers point of view.
    Yes I guess we all try to make the noise floor as low as possible but it is DISTORTION we are talking about here... :)

14. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

OceanEFX Pearl Drive is really quiet, even with the gain dimed.

15. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

Thanks for the feedback (pun mercilessly intended :) ). I went to your site (nice design - BTW). Your Rat (Rattus Rector) incantation looks way intriguing- I also like versatile pedals and that one seems to have it spades!

When building a distortion/high gain pedal, I'm sure one has to make concessions between noise floor and dynamics/character of the tone generated. But you're right, if the tone sucks, it won't matter how quiet the pedal is! Conversely, I've sent great sounding pedals packing because they either generated too much noise and/or rejected too little. That said, I don't believe all pedal builders consider noise floor to the extent that you just professed.

16. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

MXR Doule Shot Distortion is extremely quiet. 18 volts operation.

17. jstone

jstone Member

Hi stratman76
    Thank you for mentioning my RR. :)
    Making a distortion!!!
    There is really not that much to do apart from trying different components while prototyping a pedal, I used about one year on my RR and learned a lot... among these that different people are doing different things and that one thing lead to another... in the end I just had to trust my ears. When AB testing various versions I came up with the pedal as it is today. It is not quiet but then again it is has a noise floor way under the original. And far lower what I expected when I started..

If you have read some of my post here you will know how much I loved the original Rat. EVEN if it was not so very quiet....not that it was that noisy either.

I believe that there lives one song in every guitar and to pick the right guitar for that one song might not always be easy to predict. I have a similar view on guitar effects in general and specially on OD / DIST units... there are many great sounding pedals out there made by various manufacturers and builders.

Pick the one you like to PLAY with even if it is a little noisy.If it works for you your audience will appreciate your performance even if they hear some noise. And it is easier to preform when you like the sound.

Anyway this might be nothing but some thoughts from an old guy :)

18. blesscurse

blesscurse Member

Anything new in the high gain/low noise category?

[​IMG]

19. bpayne82

bpayne82 Member

I once had a Suhr Riot that had a great 80s modded Marshall tone that was quiet. I miss it dearly

20. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion

Maxon Vintage Series DS-830 Distortion Master