quietest eq pedal for solo boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joemail75, Dec 15, 2005.

1. joemail75

joemail75 Member

what is the quietest eq you guys have used? i hear alot of bad noise stuff about the boss eq, any others quieter? im looking to use one for a mid boost for leads

thanks

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

If you just want a mid-boost, a boost pedal may be the way to go. I'd personally recommend the catalinbread super chile picoso, but many people here love the Xotic RC Booster.

For EQs, I love my boss eq-20 (completely different monster than the ge-7). Dead quiet, 9 memory settings (can switch between a superior eq'd tone and a solo boost if need be!), 10 bands, and super awesome. If you only want one eq setting, check out the snipered GE-7
    www.tone-jam.com

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

My Super Duper 2 in 1 is super quiet. I use the two sides together and get a fantastic mid-boost. It sits really well in the mix, cuts through and most importantly, sounds great. M.E.

4. Sherman

Sherman Member

5. Erik

Erik Member

I've got an old GE-7, the "made in Japan" kind circa 1985 or so...it is VERY quiet. (The only pedal that has never been sold by me...I've had it for years.) Who knows...maybe I just got a good one.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think you were lucky!

I wrote some reviews on this at User Reviews on HC, but basically, I was amazed at the noise they generated, and went back and tried all the others they had in stock, and they all did it.

I kept mine though, and bought the mod for it from Brian Wampler. Took me a year before I got around to actually modding it, and it was dead easy, and after that I liked the pedal so much I bought a used one from a guy, will be modding that too.

That is the best thing about this pedal, I bet you can buy them used for a song, because of the damned noise, then it is mainly 3 IC chips, and 2 Caps (while in there...Wamplers mods give more cap replacements if you want enhanced bass, or cleaner mids...but they have nothing to do with the "quieting down the noise" part of the mod, which is just basically the three IC's...I tried it just after that and is was WAY quieter, I then did two caps which helped just a touch more) and it takes no time and very little contortions and boom...you got a great pedal!

7. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

8. Luke V

Luke V Member

Man, I thought I was done buying pedals, but that Morning Dew pedal is shouting at me to take it home. :)
    Well, I just ordered the last prototype of the Morning Dew. I'll let you know how it sounds and how quiet it is.

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member