Quieting the Beast? Am I right?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by tolstoy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

Ok, so I performed the Quieting the beast wiring mods from the GuitarNuts site on my strat. Is this mod supposed to remove all noise like noiseless pickups, or is it just supposed to quiet a certain type of noise? My pickups still hum...but there is no buzz on top of the hum. Is the mod supposed to just remove the buzz while leaving the 60cycle hum alone...or am I missing something? Body is completly shielded allong with the pickguard with copper. A joints are soldered together, all grounds meet at a centralized location (a washer) which is then insulated using shrink wrap, and a shieled cable is used for the connection at the output jack with the shielding connected only to the ground lug of the output jack side. The bridge ground has been connected directly to the shielding via a ring connecter being screwed to the body in the bridge pickup cavity. All pots ans switches have been wrapped in electrical tape to avoid any accidental ground loops caused by touching the shielding inside the cavity.

Everything looks right, but all the comments about this mod make it seem that it a miracle and the guitar should be dead silent when done. I have to report that this is defintly not my experience thus far. Did I remove the noise the mod was supposed to remove, or have I missed something and the guitar should be dead quiet now?

Tolstoy

2. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

I'm pretty sure shielding will ONLY take away the 'buzz' since that is caused by EM waves produced by things like lights and things, and the shielding blocks those signals, but leave the 'hum'.

3. tone4days

tone4days Member

laz has it right, afaik .. is it quieter than it was before you started?

t4d

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

man, my tele hums like a biotch...any tipe guys? does sheilding paint really work, and wheres a good place to get some?

5. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Five letters... B..P..S..S..C :AOK

6. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

If you want to get rid of HUM either get a humbucker or you can wire two single coils like a humbucker. For instance, on a strat, I belive that the bridge would be normal but the middle you would reverse wind and switch the magnetic polarity which in effect creates a humbucker when both are engaged.

But that being said, shielding your guitar certainly wont HURT if your trying to reduce noise.

HUM is just part of living with single coils..

7. dmczern

dmczern Member

8. Cthross

Cthross Member

I did this mod to my strat and didn't think it helped at all. Then one day while I was sitting in front of my computer with the guitar plugged into Guitarport I was doing something and took the pickguard off my strat. WOW! There was all that noise I had been missing. The shielding works really well and takes care of extra noise but not the noise inherent to single coils. I couldn't believe it. I slapped the pickguard back on and took it back off a couple of times because I couldn't believe how much noise it was shielding. You can get some pretty bad noise from a computer monitor and the shielding had blocked that until I removed the pickguard.

Ultimately though I removed the shielding. It seemed to take away some high end from the single coils in the guitar and made them seem a bit lifeless and dull. Took out the shielding and that snap and bounce of the single coils came back.

9. khromo231

khromo231 Guest

Shielding will reduce the RF interference, the high pitched hiss that comes and goes when take your hands off the strings and then put them back on the strings.

Shielding won't have any substantial effect on 60 cycle hum, the angry, lower pitched hum that comes and goes when you switch from position 1 to 2 on a strat with a RWRP middle pickup. Get familiar with the difference between the two types of noise, as you need different solutions for each of them!