Quilted Carbon Fiber - yes, you read that right.

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by John Blazy, Oct 5, 2017.

1. John Blazy

John Blazy Silver Supporting Member

Decided to give this product its own thread, apart from my other molded laminates (if interested, its here- https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...struments-components-pedal-faces-etc.1869647/ )

I am currently an indirect supplier to PRS, Fender CS, etc with my Opal looking laminates (Red Burl, Black Sea, etc seen on PRS website as "Crystal Lava" - google guitar and Dichrolam to see or see link above), but I recently filed patents on my molded carbon fiber "veneer" in which I mold unidirectional CF into real wood figure like Quilt, Bee's Wing mottle, Flame, etc.

My figured CF is the most literal duplication of wood figure ever made, and actually has greater chatoyance (light reflection / refraction) due to the refractive index of carbon fibers, and said fibers ability to trace light along itself. Unlike wood cells, CF has no cell walls to block light.

[​IMG]

It appears to be about 1/4" deep within its .090" thickness (thinner in lower topography figures like "Fiddleback").

Without giving away too much info, the unidirectional CF is molded into the 3D textured sheet, then back filled with black resin, then the top female quilt cavities are filled with non hazing, non blushing, UV stable clear resins with special adhesion promotors and adhesion pre-treatments (I was an adhesives / coatings chemist prior to inventing Dichrolam™ / Figured Fiber™).

[​IMG]

It glues to solid wood, sands and CNC mills easily, then sand the top with 320 to receive any coating of your choice. You can even longboard sand it for glass-flatness if needed, as it can handle sand-through of the resin into the CF with no visual witness lines (resin is .020" thicker than peaks of the CF).

Here are the advantages, if you still don't get it:
    • Molds were made based on the best 5A grade quilted maple examples I could find, then used creative license to augment and emphasize the figure so that it is 6A grade ALL THROUGHOUT the panels, not just in small areas like real quilted maple. This means that you don't have to buy expensive billets just to find enough top grade for one guitar, then cut around it.
    • It has been bookmatched IN THE MOLD. No need for lining up panels, and machining the edge for glue-up.
    • Chatoyance is higher than quilted maple - greater contrast.
    • Black or dark colored quilt has only been possible in the past by dying quilted maple, which muddies up the pores, destroying much of the chatoyance. Clearly not an issue with CF.
    • Pre-filled surface. Quilted CF does not need multiple sealer coats to fill the cross grain exposure prior to topcoats.
    • The CF has the same expansion / contraction as real wood - will move with radial grain, and does not move at all longitudinally. Therefore it can be glued directly to solid wood.
    Then there are the creative options:
    • New molds can be made for other figure types like Bee's Wing Mottle, Angelstep, etc (Bee's wing Mottle is currently on the drawing board)
    • Figures that don't exist in nature are possible, like combining quilt with flame, where there are double and triple ripples between the quilt billows.
    • Once I get the $5K minimum order, I will be making Aramid (Kevlar) sheets, which are highly reflective gold fibers. Imagine THAT guitar.
    • Various colors of candy tinted topcoats can be used for color like the Blood Red Candy I used on the burst in the guitar above. https://www.paintwithpearl.com/

I also recently perfected solid carbon fiber fingerboards with the 3D "Flame" figure, in which the figure goes all the way through the 1/8" thick laminate, showing its 3D figure regardless of how much is removed during radius machining and final sanding. Fret slots cut great with CNC carbide mills.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From my research, carbon fiber fingerboards are used in the market (Washburn), but the only downside is that they don't look any better than ebony, so why use it.
    Until now, thanks to my 3D figured fingerboards that now solve the "looks" problem.
    Nuno Bettencourt uses them and calls them "faster" for whatever reason. They do have insane resonance and are very lightweight, ultra strong, as you can imagine CF to be.

Samples available. PM me or email me - dichrolam@att.net.

reentune, frankencat and derekd like this.
  2. Blix

Blix Member

Wild! Take some pictures in daylight, pictures taken with flash aren't very flattering.

3. John Blazy

Here ya go. Premature, still need to get it finished and setup before I pull out the DSLR and studio lights.
    [​IMG]

Jerry and narad like this.
  4. John Blazy

Sample kits are available. Guitars are currently being built in the Quilted Carbon Fiber by a major boutique builder, and PRS received their 2nd sampling by their request, FYI. Just sayin.

5. John Blazy

Clsp of the fingerboard in the carbon fiber, prior to cutting fret slots. [​IMG]

derekd and narad like this.
  6. John Blazy

Getting gold Aramid fiber samples soon. Imagine quilted in gold fiber.

7. John Blazy

Latest in solid Figured Fiber™
    [​IMG]

dogbone94, cbm and narad like this.
  8. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member