• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Quilter Amps

dognmoon

I did some gigs with buddies over the summer who were using these Quilter Amps and was really blown away at how great they sounded.

I'm pretty sure it's a Class D Solid State, but it responds and squishes like a warm tube amp. A couple months later, I was invited by Quilter to come in and shoot some videos for their site. I never knew how the vids turned out until I just saw an ad for the company in the new Guitar Player this weekend and went to the site. Lo and behold, the 6 videos were up- and I'm actually pretty happy with them!

You can read a little more about the amps and the video shoot on my site here.

Enjoy!
-corey

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
I've got a friend who has one too, he uses it mostly for practice from what I gather. Personally...I thought the sound was kind of over-processed--it sounded very much like it was emulating tubes...i.e., not all that authentic sounding. But it seemed like it would be ideal for low volume settings; a decent practice amp. It had lots of fun features as well.

dognmoon

I've got a friend who has one too, he uses it mostly for practice from what I gather. Personally...I thought the sound was kind of over-processed--it sounded very much like it was emulating tubes...i.e., not all that authentic sounding. But it seemed like it would be ideal for low volume settings; a decent practice amp. It had lots of fun features as well.
I hear you. You're correct in that they work really well as a practice amp solution, but having heard my buddies on stage in a very loud, live setting- I assumed they were using the Bogners and Twins that I've seen them with in the past. It was convincing.

BUT, that what we always say- that's why lots of gear exists... so we can find the thing that tickles our ears and pushes the inspiration all the way down to our fingertips. :)

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder how much of that over processed sound is in the pre amp vs the power amp section. You could always use it as slave amp to run some Tech 21 Character pedals,etc in front of.

Bikedude

Platinum Supporting Member
Isn't Quilter the Q in QSC? I have a K10 FR, and its quite nice.

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
QSC was originally Quilter Sound Company. Yes, same guy. Go to their website, some history there.

He's definitely onto something in terms of the architecture of his power stage. He really wants to design SS guitar amps, but I think the non-tube future is aleady here and it's modeling. I think he'd do well to look at what Matrix has done in terms of offering high-power lightweight class D solutions to high-end modeling users. Seems like a market made for him.

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
Some guys over at the SurfGuitar101 forum love them. There's some good info over there if you're so inclined to check it out.

rockometeramp

A friends instro/surf band uses one for his pedal steel. Sounds great, and kept up with a drummer and viroverb 2x15(I think) in a bar setting. No idea which model he used though.

Rocco

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I had one out on a 1 month trial... it was a punchy little amp but I felt the 8" speaker was to small. And as much as I love tube compression. This little amp seemed to compress just to much....my own personal issues with it was that it was very Fender voiced and I don't like the sound of any Fender amps. Fender players may love it. I was hoping it was Vox rhythum voiced and old school Marshall lead based..not the case. The Rev and trem are just great.... its built very well and the footswitch can do many things.. also the little bugger only weighs 10 or 12 pounds and comes with a nice cover and a wicked footswitch...I think they should keep this model for the Fender sound and make a black and white one same format that is voiced for Vox and marshall....it isn't a Pritchard amp but is also not priced like one....

Glowing Tubes

Silver Supporting Member
I have been seeing the ads for these amps and find them to be about the most aesthetically un pleasing amps I've ever seen. To the point where it's difficult to take the ad seriously.

Sirloin

I have been seeing the ads for these amps and find them to be about the most aesthetically un pleasing amps I've ever seen. To the point where it's difficult to take the ad seriously.

:agree The "Fisher Price" of guitar amps. I would have to hide it in some other cab. I'm so vain... :bonk

billyguitar

I had one for a month trial with the 8" speaker. I couldn't really complain about the cleans except I think the 12" version would have been better. The 8" got a bit spikey on peaks. I'm afraid the real deal breaker for me was the distortion channel. It was a modern sort of distortion and just not what I like. Younger guys might be fine with it. In the end I decided I liked my Evans JE150 with a Tone Tubby and a Garage Sound Drivertrain better, much better actually. To be honest that is a tough combination to beat for size and sound so I can't really fault the Quilter there.

tsar nicholas

It's funny how some really dig the look and some don't! I think it's wunderbar, I like a little whimsy

I'm interested in the clean sound and would love to hear some real-world clips / additional reports

edit : I was just tooling around on their site and noticed that they offer a 12" version for a hundred bones extra

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
OK Richard, now you have to buy one and sell your Pure 64 to me!!

Blue Bee

Seem like it would be a great jazz amp if its all about fender cleans with a little natural compression.

Does it do mild OD or edge of breakup fender tones Ok? Has anyone tried running pedals into the clean channel?

tsar nicholas

I just wrote to Quilter inquiring about the suitability of the amp for 8-string guitar / low frequencies. The very nice cat Christopher over there promptly sent me the following demo video, pretty nifty.

I gotta say, these things are looking more interesting by the minute

Trending Topics