Quilter Aviator 12" vs Roland Blues Cube Artist

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleman, May 22, 2015.

1. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Yesterday I was able to A/B/C a Quilter Aviator 12, Roland Blues Cube Artist and a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI. at Alto Music in Middletown NY. I used the DRRI as a baseline to compare the other two SS.
    I was able to try a Tele, LP and Strat through the amps.
    Here is what I thought:
    Clean Tones:
    Channel A on both the Quilter and Roland / Vibrato channel on the DRRI
    All 3 had a nice clean tone. The EQ option is limited on the Quilter as it only has a single tone knob. As a result it could not get a bright as the Roland and Fender. The quilters single tone control very much limited the EQ option on the channel and to me made ti sound slightly boxy.
    The cleans on the Blues Cube were very nice. Full and rich the Roland hung in there with the Fender in 15 watt mode and had near the same level of touch sensitivity. Very tube like. Tone wise it could get as bright as the Fender. As the volume was increased up to about 5 the low end on the DRRI started to flub out a bit the Roland remained solid. The multi power options enabled the same tone to be achieved at any level (1/2 watt, 15 watt, 45 watt, 80 watt) A very nice feature that makes the amp very flexible IMHO.
    Both the Quilter and the Roland set at "max" power could stay clean to very loud levels. Tough to say which is louder as I was in a shop but based on the specs, 200 watt Quilter / 80 watts Roland I'd guess the edge wold go to the Quilter.
    OD Tones:
    Channel B on the Quilter and Roland / a Cranked DRRI
    I started with the drive level at 12:00 on each. There was a bit more gain present on the Roland and it was extremely touch sensitive. The pick attack could definately effect the attack on the gain. I liked it, very tube like. This was not the case with the Quilter. I found the lead tones more usable on the Roland. Not saying they were Ideal lead tones but for me the Roland sounded better. With the drives turn up to about 2:00 on both I compared each amp to the DRRI up at about 8 on the dial. The Roland came closest to the tone but had a solid low end where the DRRi did flub out as they are known to do due to the small transformers they have.

With Pedals:
    Running into the front end of the Quilter and Roland.
    Both took pedals pretty good. I ran a Barber Gain Changer and Dual UnLTD into each amp with no issues at all. Each of these amps would be a great pedal platform. I did think that the Roland worked better with the pedals as when they were engaged they sounded more like par t of the amp than a pedal being pushed into the front of the amp. Not sure many may know what I mean by this but my DR. Z RT. 66 was the same way with pedals. They seemed to become part of the circuitry.

The Verdict:
    I already own a DRRI so that was there just as a baseline to things too.
    While both the Quilter Aviator and Roland Blues Cubes are great SS amp for me I preferred the Roland.
    So much so that I ordered one based on the demo the store allowed me to do.

Looking forward to gigging with it and I can give a gig level report once I do.

Lef T, bluescube and remocity like this.
  2. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Nice review. I have a friend who is looking to go from tubes to a lighter amp.
    Thanks for sharing your observations.

3. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

What of the "Don Johnson" Tone Module?

I hear it gives you that "80's" vibe!

4. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

Good review, thanks! I have been following these two amps for a while but haven't had a chance to actually play either. I have watched a lot of videos though and have come to similar conclusions. I'm actually looking at two SS amps right now, the Roland Artist and Orange Crush Pro CR120. I am leaning towards the Roland mostly because the channel feature where you can combine chann 1 & 2 intrigues me

Teleman likes this.
  5. Teleman

Followup to my initial demo with the Roland blues Cube. I ended up buying the Blues Cube Artist and use it as a clean platform for my pedalboard.
    I've played about 10 gigs with it since the middle of June and the more I use it the more I like it. I had a Quilter Aviator 1x12 for a short while And i feel the Blues cube takes pedal better and has more of a tube feel than the Quilter. I did own two Fender Deluxe Reverbs and recently sold one because I did not see me using it in the future.

6. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Do you like the clean and dirt of the Roland more then the DRRI?

7. Teleman

I do like it more than a DRRI. It's low end stays tight at volume unlike the deluxe. I use the Blues cube as a platform for pedals so that's where I get my dirt from.

8. johnhager25

johnhager25 Member

9. cSmart

cSmart Member

I still have and love my Blues Cube Artist after more than six months now, usually with the Ultimate Blues tone capsule installed. I've never thoroughly liked an amp this long. Has anybody hear heard of anyone getting the BC-Artist and eventually selling it for something else?