Quilter Aviator Mach 3 -

jellodog

Silver Supporting Member
As a new Mach 3 owner I would appreciate you sharing what your "perfect 65 settings are.
I'll happily oblige, but I honestly don't think it would be of much help to you... unless you're using the exact same single coils with the same cab and drivers that I'm using along with the same boosts into the front of the amp... I would definitely choose different EQ and gain settings if I just plugged straight into the head or used whatever speakers you're using.

And this is for a "warm clean" tone. You might want something else?

Not meaning to come off as secretive or weird (or rude!)... I just don't know that it would translate to your world (?). Should I go and take a photo anyway?

Last edited:

Stratofuzz

I'll happily oblige, but I honestly don't think it would be of much help to you... unless you're using the exact same single coils with the same cab and drivers that I'm using along with the same boosts into the front of the amp... I would definitely choose different EQ and gain settings if I just plugged straight into the head or used whatever speakers you're using.

And this is for a "warm clean" tone. You might want something else?

Not meaning to come off as secretive or weird (or rude!)... I just don't know that it would translate to your world (?). Should I go and take a photo anyway?

Yes, please share a photo

And yes, I know that it not going to provide for me what it does for you.
Just curious on what does work so well for you.

Myself, I have been a high noon on all the dials of the '65 setting as it sounds like a Blackface amp.
(No need to scoop the mids like on my old 101R)
So my settings are pretty much no big deal on the Mach 3.

But I do have a Fender Reverb Tank and a Bearfoot Spanish Inquisition in front of it.
This is going into a 2 x 12" semi-closed back cabinet with 2 12" ToneSpeak Austin speakers.

Those are designed for a Deluxe Reverb and supposedly the next level of the Eminence Alessandro GA-SC64 speakers. (Have a Deluxe Reverb head that I bought before the Mach 3)

jellodog

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, please share a photo

And yes, I know that it not going to provide for me what it does for you.
Just curious on what does work so well for you. [...]

mach-3-boosted-65-web.jpg

There you go. Less bass than in this photo than the one taken during the first few days of ownership earlier in this thread. I reduced bass to get rid of muddiness. I'm constantly surprised at how much bass one can remove in order to retain clarity of the amplified guitar tone.

I mostly use the neck pickup on a strat with Lollar blondes or the neck & mid position of a Jazzmaster. If I want to go to the bridge pickup then I just roll off treble using the guitar tone knob. I also use a GristleMaster Tele that I use the bridge pickup on a bit more (it's a Tele!), so the guitar tone knob is essential to tame that brightness with these settings. Anyway, that might also help to explain the core settings of the amp for the base tone.

If I wasn't subtley boosting into the amp, then gain would be around 1pm, similar to how I would use it on the Superblock US for a pushed clean.

The cabinet is a farely deep and wide 2x10, so even though it is 1/3 open, it has a pretty full bass response - much more than a DR cab would have, I think. The cab is raised off the floor. I'm going for more of a Vibrolux flavour of the '65 BF voice. The treble setting surprises me but perhaps it's because of the 1028k alnicos which aren't as strident as some Jensen ceramics.

I don't know how much I'm boosting into the front, but it's probably only 4 or 5 dB (?), using a low gain setting on an Xotic Super Clean boost / buffer - it's just enough to fatten single coils and add a little mids signal shaping, before presenting that signal to the preamp for further shaping.

I don't usually play it louder than say 90dB at present, so keep that in mind too. Never gigged. If I wanted to use the full power of the amp, I have a Copperback in a 1x12 that I can use, but so far I'm only playing at low to moderate volumes. I'd be surprised if I ever use it above the 35w level, which is half of the safe combined 70w rating of the 2 speakers in the 2x10.

Last edited:

jellodog

Silver Supporting Member
One thing I forgot to mention is that I absolutely love the speaker outs we have on these devices:

4 Ohm
8 Ohm
16 Ohm
2 x 8 Ohm

Having that 4 Ohm output so that I can run 2 x 8 Ohm speakers in parallel from a single out is such a gift.

It's the same for the OD202. So much flexibility. Now whenever I'm looking at back panel photos of other amps online, I'm not interested at all if they don't offer all that :p

Last edited:

Xevyn

One thing I forgot to mention is that I absolutely love the speaker outs we have on these devices:

4 Ohm
8 Ohm
16 Ohm
2 x 8 Ohm

It's the same for the OD202. So much flexibility. Now whenever I'm looking at back panel phoros of other amps online, I'm not interested at all if they don't offer all that :p

Yep it has everything you could need...fx loop, 4/8/16 ohm compatibiity, headphone jack, line out and footswitch. Now if I could just get my hands on the 6 button footswitch :)

jellodog

Silver Supporting Member
Yep it has everything you could need...fx loop, 4/8/16 ohm compatibiity, headphone jack, line out and footswitch. Now if I could just get my hands on the 6 button footswitch :)
I know we are relentless as gear users... always asking for more when what we already have is amazing. BUT...

I feel that we got so close with the 2 simultaneous channels and 2 x 8 Ohm speaker outs - how hard would it have been to just add a back panel switch to enable the option of a FULL STEREO rig!!?

I have managed to resist sending emails to Pat asking for that though. I would imagine he's exhausted by people always asking for extra features when he's worked so hard to give us what we have now.

Xevyn

I know we are relentless as gear users... always asking for more when what we already have is amazing. BUT...

I feel that we got so close with the 2 simultaneous channels and 2 x 8 Ohm speaker outs - how hard would it have been to just add a back panel switch to enable the option of a FULL STEREO rig!!?

I have managed to resist sending emails to Pat asking for that though. I would imagine he's exhausted by people always asking for extra features when he's worked so hard to give us what we have now.

There is always more we can ask for. Presets, firmware updates, USB connectivity, etc, etc. :D

DGA

Reverb has them.
The unit is build like a tank, very solid. I like having all functions readily available.
That's one thing that lured me in. I've used modelers and found that I don't like having to go onto a computer or into menus for anything. I want a knob/switch/button tied to every function on the unit.

ford

Modz
Staff member
Top Boost! It's got a nice sharp edge to it.

But there's only 2 British flavours, surely? Top Boost and Plexi.
SWEET is the regular AC30 channel I believe. It is certainly supposed to be a Voxy tone.

jellodog

Silver Supporting Member
SWEET is the regular AC30 channel I believe. It is certainly supposed to be a Voxy tone.

Dumble-inspired?

From the Mach 3 manual:

"In contrast to the edgy “in your face” sound of PLEXI and TOP BST, the SWEET voice provides a singing soprano-like quality that focuses on the musically important harmonics, even when using overdrive, which is a noted attribute of a certain very expensive and unobtainable high-end amp."

And then there is a little ilustration of an amp head that looks a lot like an Overdrive Special with the word "Sweet" in the logo position.

It's a pleasent voice, anyway - full, with a smooth top end; and indeed, it's pretty sweet!

Last edited:

ford

Modz
Staff member
Dumble-inspired?

From the Mach 3 manual:

"In contrast to the edgy “in your face” sound of PLEXI and TOP BST, the SWEET voice provides a singing soprano-like quality that focuses on the musically important harmonics, even when using overdrive, which is a noted attribute of a certain very expensive and unobtainable high-end amp."

And then there is a little ilustration of an amp head that looks a lot like an Overdrive Special with the word "Sweet" in the logo position.

It's a pleasent voice, anyway - full, with a smooth top end; and indeed, it's pretty sweet!
Ah... hadn't seen that image. Yep..... has to be a Dumbley tone then. Good find.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom