Quilter - Interesting Story

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by glennscottharris, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the post.. This should not be ignored...Bump

2. teemuk

teemuk Member

Those are one of the earliest amps that actually introduced the concept of having a master volume control. See how they didn't even label it like that back then. Instead they labelled it "output power".

They also made these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...and the amp sections to these:
    [​IMG]
    Then they switched to these and gained a worldwide success:
    [​IMG]
    ...in 2010 they made a slight return back to guitar amps with these:
    [​IMG]
    ...and now that Patrick Quilter's semi-retired he's back to his roots making these things that could likely be their best guitar amp product so far:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

teemuk.. Thanks for the pictoral history... Great stuff... I think I'm going to buy his new little amp... Was he involved with the Tom Mitchell amps??? I used to sell Mitchell amps at my store back in the 70's

4. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Ha, the history. I remember those OC clubs, Finnegan’s Rainbow, and the outdoor band shows.

[​IMG]
    A few years ago I found this Mitchell Sand Amp ^ in town here for $50. [A few lbs. of sand in a bottom compartment...for ballast? wtf?]

[​IMG]
    When the transistors finally blew I chopped and rebuilt some parts [a speaker, logo badge, etc.] into this little EL-84 tweed tube combo kinda reminiscent of the Mitchell Boogie combo they once made [see flyer]. One of the first retro amps.
    [​IMG]

5. teemuk

teemuk Member

It's actually a scheme that tries to eliminate cabinet resonance and turn the cabinet (material-wise) as transparent as possible. Some quality hifi speaker cabinets are actually made out of stone but that material is damn hard and expensive to shape so the next best thing is to make ordinary wood-based cabs, in which walls are compartments that are filled with fine sand. Wharfedale introduced cabs with sand-filled baffles or side walls already in 1950's or something but Mitchell's SandAmps could be only guitar amps utilising the idea.

As far as I know, Quilter began to sell the Bantam amp design (the same they had formerly manufactured for L.D. Heater Co.) for Mitchell in the early 1970's. Mitchell fitted the circuit to the SandAmps and the operation lasted to circa late 1970's. I'm not sure if Quilter Sound manufactured the SandAmp cabinetry or not but if I had to guess I'd say they likely came from another source.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Oh, I get it now. I always wondered. To dampen vibrations.