Quilter MicroPro Gen1 to Mach2 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrplyr1, Apr 23, 2015.

1. gtrplyr1

gtrplyr1 Member

Question for those who have upgraded from the original MicroPro to the Mach 2.

Anybody here who purchased the Mach2 wish they would have stayed with the Gen1 instead?

I loved my Micropro 8 and sold it to purchase the mach2 but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Im still considering just taking my lumps (only lost $150 on my resale) and getting another gen1 since new ones are still available.

Anyone go from the 8 inch speaker to the 10 and wish they had kept the 8 instead?

Also the Aviator Gold is now a contender too.

Any feedback from actual users who upgraded is greatly appreciated.

2. Myakka

Myakka Member

I have/had the MicroPro 8/12, the Mach 2 8/12 and the Mach 2 12 HD. I feel the Mach 2 is an upgrade from the original. The voicings are more useful. I am actually torn between the surf and the Full Q and go back and forth between these two. The 8/12 is the way to go for me. I do play at lower volume levels and the full range 8" really sounds great at lower volumes whereas the 12" sounds a bit muddy. The 8 and 12 together almost gets a 3D sound. I was not impressed with the sound of the 12HD. But, i play clean to slight break up and, as i said, at lower volumes.
    Remember that the 10 and 12 inch speakers are guitar speakers and the 8" is a full range. I play acoustic through this rig, too so i kind of like the full range sound.
    And, my personal opinion is the Mach 2 looks better. I am glad i upgraded to the Mach 2.

3. telephone

telephone Supporting Member

Will have to agree with Myakka as I too had/have the same setup. The voicings are indeed better on the Mach2, along with just about everything else. However, I'm still scratching my head with the reverb implementation. Tried the 12HD side by side with my Mach2-8 for a few days. Sent the 12HD back as it just didn't seem to outshine the 8 by any perceptible margin. I thought the 12HD might bridge the gap between my lust for a Steelaire and the flexibility of the Mach2. Nope. Picked up a Steelaire and gigged it for the first time last night. That there, is a special amp.

4. gtrplyr1

gtrplyr1 Member

This is good info I appreciate your help.

When I had my micropro 8 I most often used the full Q which makes me think I wouldn't mind going with the aviator gold since it is supposed to have better od voicing now than previously but I really thought the limiter on the micropro was great and that alone was worth the price difference.

I thought the reverb on the gen1 was excellent, I am not a reverb guy but I did like and use it on this amp.

Thanks again for the response.