Quilter Tone Block 200

ZenGugs

I did some of the beta-testing on the Tone Block 200, and I can tell you without a doubt, it's VERY cool. I found that it's an incredibly versatile tool to have in your arsenal, and that it's really the answer for guitarists that do a lot of fly gigs. It's especially great for the Axe-Fx stuff. The Axe-Fx, Tone Block 200 and a rack, and you're able to go anywhere on the planet, plug into any outlet and cabinet, and go. The tone of the unit is very simple and clean, which is exactly as I hoped it would be, and the unit takes pedals very well.

Check one out when you get the chance.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
How do you accomodate for say a preamp (Tech 21 Liverpool,etc.) w/ out having a proper effects loop? The tone shaping seems to be fairly minimal as well. I actually have an Aviator 1x12" Combo and prefer using channel 2 since it has more than one single tone knob. Great products for sure!

Irreverent

Silver Supporting Member
I just got my Tone Block 200 and spent about 30 minutes with it. So far, I'm really digging it!

I purchased it to have as a fool-proof backup amp. I'd considered other contemporary solid state amps, but the size, weight, and pedigree of the Quilter Tone Block 200 were too much to pass up, so I took the plunge.

I played it with my Yanuziello straight in, and through a Reverend 4x10. It sounds really good. The controls are deceptively simple. Each knob has 21 detents, and the interaction of the three provides surprising versatility. I'm already happy enough with it that I know I'm gonna keep it, however, I've hardly scratched the surface. I've gotta see how it sounds with a reverb pedal, and the rest of my board.

The amp can get SUPER-loud and remain crystal-clear and super-clean. You can use the GAIN knob to get some dirt, but then clean things up readily with the guitar volume. The CONTOUR pot is VERY broad-ranging, and affords an impressive palette of tone. The amp seems very responsive to the volume and tone controls on the guitar.

As for power, I just barely got past the 40W setting, and even that was getting ridiculously loud. With the GAIN completely cranked, you can get some pretty cool overdriven tone even down around the 10W setting.

In short, I'm impressed, and looking forward to additional experimentation and experience with this killer, tiny, four pound powerhouse.

I think it is worth the street price of $399.

Peace

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
So are you using it as an amp? I thought it would be best driven by some type of guitar preamp/ preamp pedal?

Irreverent

Silver Supporting Member
So are you using it as an amp? I thought it would be best driven by some type of guitar preamp/ preamp pedal?
That is my intent. I think it runs just fine as an amp with no pedals. I don't think it needs a preamp whatsoever. I just got it today, but running guitar-->cable-->amp-->4x10 cab sounded quite good--certainly something I'd have no problem playing at any gig. Does it get me as jazzed as my Metropolitan? No. But it sounds damn good in the simple setup I've described, and frankly, it sounds better than I expected. However, I bought it as a backup amp, and would run my board in front of it as I do with all my other amps.

Peace.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Cool. I have an EHX 44 magnum that I use as a power amp and it works quite well...however I have been curious about the Tone Block. The 44 Magnum sounds flat like a power amp. I use a Tech 21 British as a preamp that is on all the time for my base clean-ish tone. it really helps to give me a more amp like feel.

uburoibob

Treehugger, both in the forest and with strings.
Silver Supporting Member
Most folks I know who have gotten them for backups have role-reversed and started taking the Quilter to gigs.

I LOVE my little MircoPro 200 with the 8" speaker. When I first got it, the lower mids sounded artificial. That was the speaker needing to be broken in.

It's an AMAZING little amp that I love and regularly play my Yanuziello through.

Bob

logdrum

I brought my Tech 21 British (Marshall) character pedal to my LOMS (Local Owned Music Store) Just before this one into a Mesa 1x12. The only Marshall I really know is the Vintage Modern and this setup with the Tone Block got the JTM 45 thing going on.

This goes well with the Tech21 which I occasionally use with my Roland JC-120. It's better. because my generation of the JC-120 has the hiss as most JC-120's do. This doesn't

BUT if I could use my character pedal in front of the Bad Cat unleash, that may be better for me because I need an Attenuator as well.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I brought my Tech 21 British (Marshall) character pedal to my LOMS (Local Owned Music Store) Just before this one into a Mesa 1x12. The only Marshall I really know is the Vintage Modern and this got the JTM 45 thing going on. This goes well with the Tech21 which I occasionally use with my Roland JC-120. It's better. because my generation of the JC-120 has the hiss/ This doesn't BUT if I could use my character pedal in front of the Bad Cat unleash, that may be better for me because I need an Attenuator as well.
I have the tone black and the unleash, but I haven't experimented with pedals directly into the unleash. I think poster Guinness Lad posted about how he runs pedals straight into the unleash sometimes. I can't remember if he recommended running them in front or through the effects loop. You should definitely search for that post.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I had an Unleash for a bit and ran the tech 21 british into it and it sounded great. It has to run into the effect return of the unleash to work.

Trending Topics