Quilter Tone Block 202 ?

Z Tone

I’m looking for a light weight amp that is gig worthy if thats possible. I currently have a Deluxe Reverb Re-issue which I do like but I’m aging now and have had back surgeries in the past. I have been looking at the Quilter Tone Block 202 with a light weight 1x12 cabinet as an alternative. I do use pedals also.Can someone tell me your experience with the Quilter TB202 vs a tube combo? Thanks in advance!

Bunther

Silver Supporting Member
I have that exact amp. It’s extremely clean. And no hum. Dead quiet. To my old ears it seems more like a 35w amp because SS amps don’t produce that over saturated sound. It’s a good pedal platform. The line out is useful if you need to run through the PA. The reverb is good. I didn’t get the standard Celestion speaker, probably should have because the focal frequencies for the treble and mid weren’t quite where I wanted them to be with an Alnico Cream. It’s a good amp, just a wee bit sterile sounding compared to a tube amp. If, you are seeking a Fendery sound you should look at the Fender Tonemaster.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I currently have the Toneblock 201, Overdrive 200, and Overdrive 202. I usually use them with a Mesa cab with a Mesa C90 in it but have also used with a Carvin 2X10 which I recall may have older Webers in it. I also have two tube combos amps, an Origin 5 and a vintage GA-35RVT, and a 100 Watt Marshall SLX head, and a Helix.

Quilters are some of the most versatile amps I've used. The EQ is very responsive. The only tube amps I've had with EQ that responsive were Mesas. I wouldn't call them sterile, but like every versatile amp or pedal not every settings is going to be to my taste. Saying it could only do a 35 watt equivalent tube amp whatever makes me strongly disagree with the previous post as does the bit about saturated tube sound. I can't my Quilter to sound exactly like my 5 watt Marshall or my SLX, but it can definitely sound enough like a tube amp that I use the tube amps I have less than I expected and felt quite comfortable getting rid of boutique offerings I've had like a Fargen Blackbird, Mesa rack gear, and a Reason Bambino.

I would agree with the previous poster on one point, if you're looking only for the sound you can get from a very specific Fender combo amp, then the tonemaster does seem like a decent choice.

I've tried the tonemasters and prefer my Quilters, but I also prefer amps like Mesas and Reason to Fenders and Fender clones and to some extent even my Marshall because of the versatility I believe Mesa and Reason offer to the Fender/Marshall paradigm.

I'm happy going completely direct to amp with a Quilter, but I can agree that it takes pedals well. If I do offer a caveat, it's that I can make some gain pedals sound like crap through an overdrive 202 if I keep the Quilters gain higher and it's output low. When I use it with pedals I tend to lower the gain on the Quilter and use it like I wound a high headroom Fender (or the Fargen Blackbird) as a pedal platform.

And for tube amps, I personally much prefer the versatility of going with heads vs combos. That I own combos at all, or tube amps at all, is mostly because I know someone who can fix them at a reasonable price and in my area I have repeatedly gotten good deals on tube amps.

Brettski

I have a TB 202. I crank the gain, turn down the limiter and hit it with a hot OD. I know it's not the typical use case, but it's a good crunchy distorted sound. It's not a tube amp, but it responds more like one than any modeling solution I've tried. It comes with me to every gig, either as a main amp or as a backup. It'll get stupid loud too with the limiter off. If you're out in bars playing covers, it'll do FINE. If you're playing Red Rocks as a hired gun for Aerosmith, you might want to look at other options.

Z Tone

I’m not looking for exactly a Fender sounding amp just a good clean sounding amp that takes pedals good that doesn’t weigh a ton. My drri is plenty loud for my use I was hoping someone could tell me if the Quilter would be at least as loud as my drri.

Russ73

OP I use a 101 with a DV Mark 2x12.....24lbs.....you might wanna look into a cab with Neos in em like the DVs and I run high gain pedals all night long....the thing is some sound great and some dont....like my BE OD sounds pretty killer but my Sansamp sounds horrible where as the Sansamp sounds great through a JC 120 that I've used as a backline....there were a bunch used on the GC used site def give it a shot they have their own thing going on as far as tube tone vs SS....

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I’m not looking for exactly a Fender sounding amp just a good clean sounding amp that takes pedals good that doesn’t weigh a ton. My drri is plenty loud for my use I was hoping someone could tell me if the Quilter would be at least as loud as my drri.
easily. They can get louder than my 100 watt Marshall.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I use a Non-reverb quilter 101 head in a Quilter DockBlock 12HD cab (I got the 101 before they offered reverb built-in) - The 8ohm Celestion cab is 19.5lbs and the head 2.5 so between them the rig weighs like 22lbs. I got the head as a back up but the full 100watt Surf setting sounds so great I just often just grab that for the gig. The live recordings of our band tells me I'm playing a clean Fender-something amp. Sometimes I'll use my Mesa TA15 head into that cab and keep the 101 head strapped in the back as the on-demand backup if needed - that little rig can keep up with my 9-piece horn band indoors or out. Here's a shot of the Mesa TA15 with the Quilter BlockDock 12hd cab at a summer beach gig - the 101 head is tucked in the back. I always use a Palmer PDI09 direct box to the PA instead of mic'ing the cab, less spaghetti at my feet.
eFKFFRK.jpg

Z Tone

I use a Non-reverb quilter 101 head in a Quilter DockBlock 12HD cab (I got the 101 before they offered reverb built-in) - The 8ohm Celestion cab is 19.5lbs and the head 2.5 so between them the rig weighs like 22lbs. I got the head as a back up but the full 100watt Surf setting sounds so great I just often just grab that for the gig. The live recordings of our band tells me I'm playing a clean Fender-something amp. Sometimes I'll use my Mesa TA15 head into that cab and keep the 101 head strapped in the back as the on-demand backup if needed - that little rig can keep up with my 9-piece horn band indoors or out. Here's a shot of the Mesa TA15 with the Quilter BlockDock 12hd cab at a summer beach gig - the 101 head is tucked in the back. I always use a Palmer PDI09 direct box to the PA instead of mic'ing the cab, less spaghetti at my feet.
eFKFFRK.jpg
How do you like the Quilter BlockDock?

micycle

I agree with the others who have chimed in suggesting the Tone Master series as an option. If you already have a Deluxe and like what it does, it's a pretty lateral move aside from being able to lift it with a couple of fingers!

I had a 12-year gap where I got rid of my Deluxe for something easier to carry, and spent the bulk of those years trying to find something that was light but sounded and behaved like a Deluxe. I wish I'd known about the TM amps sooner than last summer, it would've saved me a couple of years of window shopping and amp flipping! Sound guys at clubs love the direct out, too, the few times I've been on a crowded stage and taken that route.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
How do you like the Quilter BlockDock?
I like it a lot. I lucked into finding one used at a very good low price within the first year they were available (I don't think the seller realized what they had), so I didn't think I had much to loose in checking it out. It can get very loud and not break up, the Neo Celestion speaker was originally designed to be a Bass speaker. I've found that it is very transparent pushing out the full frequency delicacies of my Suhr VP60LP single coils, the mid-forward girth and sweet top end of stock Gibson P90's and my PAF voiced hum bucker guitars. I play in a classic R&B/Motown/Blues Rock 9-piece band so I do a lot of funk strumming and Steve Cropper chord partials on the top 3 strings, it cuts through our dense band mix exceedingly well - just like any of the mid-powered classic black panel F-voiced amps (35-40 watts and up) we're so used to. Our mix-board recordings from gigs confirm all that. In all I feel that it, and my 101 head were the best gear purchases I've made in the last 5 years easily. The Quilter DockBlock 12HD and the 101 head sure take the back-pain out of load-in's & outs and do so sounding just right for the tone and voicing I need. If I want to take one of the old-school tube amps out to a gig, the Quilter BlockDock cab & head are an easy, no-pain-no-strain light-weight back-up amp to just bring along and have tucked back stage. Quilters are great gigging tools.

Z Tone

I like it a lot. I lucked into finding one used at a very good low price within the first year they were available (I don't think the seller realized what they had), so I didn't think I had much to loose in checking it out. It can get very loud and not break up, the Neo Celestion speaker was originally designed to be a Bass speaker. I've found that it is very transparent pushing out the full frequency delicacies of my Suhr VP60LP single coils, the mid-forward girth and sweet top end of stock Gibson P90's and my PAF voiced hum bucker guitars. I play in a classic R&B/Motown/Blues Rock 9-piece band so I do a lot of funk strumming and Steve Cropper chord partials on the top 3 strings, it cuts through our dense band mix exceedingly well - just like any of the mid-powered classic black panel F-voiced amps (35-40 watts and up) we're so used to. Our mix-board recordings from gigs confirm all that. In all I feel that it, and my 101 head were the best gear purchases I've made in the last 5 years easily. The Quilter DockBlock 12HD and the 101 head sure take the back-pain out of load-in's & outs and do so sounding just right for the tone and voicing I need. If I want to take one of the old-school tube amps out to a gig, the Quilter BlockDock cab & head are an easy, no-pain-no-strain light-weight back-up amp to just bring along and have tucked back stage. Quilters are great gigging tools.
I to play a Suhr single coil guitar. The Quilter sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. Light weight and dependable. Thanks for the input!

jazzkritter

Gold Supporting Member
TB202 and Dock Block 12.
Not only has it replaced my 74 PR but my Walter Woods too and that’s a compliment!
Coming from a jazz perspective it’s clean but has character. Easier to lock in round warm tone than the 101 I had. Gives a nice sense of response. The BD has the Celestion Neo bass speaker and it has pulled me off a 15 year love of Eminence DeltaLites.
Decision not regretted at all!
jk

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
bumping this thread...decided to try out the Toneblock 202. I need something solid for a backup amp, and a small footprint for some of our gigs (tight spaces), and lightweight. I never thought I'd care about lightweight but age does affect some stuff LOL.

So, what are the speaker recommendations - I saw the reference to the DockBlock - any other speakers folks like with this amp head?

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I'm gonna run it through my C90 in my Mesa cab just to try it out. If I decide to go with the 202, I'll get a lightweight cab and speaker

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Tone Block incoming, will have it this week (Friday). If I like it through my Mesa C90 I'll definitely keep it.

If I do keep it, I'm wondering if I should just go with a MojoTone lightweight cab and EM12 Neo. I'd like to use it to also amplify my FM3...any of you guys using it this way?

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
Tone Block incoming, will have it this week (Friday). If I like it through my Mesa C90 I'll definitely keep it.

If I do keep it, I'm wondering if I should just go with a MojoTone lightweight cab and EM12 Neo. I'd like to use it to also amplify my FM3...any of you guys using it this way?

I have the 101R and 10" BlockDock. I also have 2 single 12" cabinets; a Forte' 3D and a LopoLine (now Mojotone) oversized 12". The Forte' has an MC90 and the Lopo has a WGS ET-65. The Forte' sounds the best, the Lopo next, and the BlockDock last. That said, the BD doesn't sound bad, just not a full as the other two. However, the BD and head weighs about 20 pounds, the Lopo 27, pounds, and the Forte' 45 pounds.

I think what you are proposing would sound good.....

Al

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I have the 101R and 10" BlockDock. I also have 2 single 12" cabinets; a Forte' 3D and a LopoLine (now Mojotone) oversized 12". The Forte' has an MC90 and the Lopo has a WGS ET-65. The Forte' sounds the best, the Lopo next, and the BlockDock last. That said, the BD doesn't sound bad, just not a full as the other two. However, the BD and head weighs about 20 pounds, the Lopo 27, pounds, and the Forte' 45 pounds.

I think what you are proposing would sound good.....

Al
Yeah, I think it'll be ok too...I need a speaker that can handle the 202, just in case I turn it up too much by mistake. In the beginning it'll just be for backup so I can manage it, but utlimately I'd like a nice light solution for smaller venues.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom