Quilter Tone Block 202 ?

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Just got my 202, plugged it into my Mesa combo's C90...Holy crap! Loud, clear, flexible, works great with my pedals.

This will 100% get the job done as either a backup or just as my main amp in many cases.

Finally, something that doesn't sound like a digital reproduction of a tube amp. I use to have MicroPro MK2 HD, this is is immensely better through a regular guitar cab and guitar speaker. The MP was decent, this is great.

My search is over...just need a cab and speaker - although I have to say, the C90 sounds really freakin' good with the 202. Gonna bring it to rehearsal this week and give it workout with the band.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
Just got my 202, plugged it into my Mesa combo's C90...Holy crap! Loud, clear, flexible, works great with my pedals.

This will 100% get the job done as either a backup or just as my main amp in many cases.

Finally, something that doesn't sound like a digital reproduction of a tube amp. I use to have MicroPro MK2 HD, this is is immensely better through a regular guitar cab and guitar speaker. The MP was decent, this is great.

My search is over...just need a cab and speaker - although I have to say, the C90 sounds really freakin' good with the 202. Gonna bring it to rehearsal this week and give it workout with the band.
i've thought about this exact pairing. glad to know it's a good fit!

DontheMon

just got a tornado neo 100 that works well with the cleans and the barely overdriving sound on my OD202...creamback 65 sounds a little better when distorted but then it's 65 watts so have to keep that in mind when I use it...

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
i've thought about this exact pairing. glad to know it's a good fit!
it's really good, I was playing it some more this afternoon. With 200 Watts I'm worried I'll blow the speaker unless I get something that can handle the power, although at the 50 Watt setting it's freakin' loud!

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
just got a tornado neo 100 that works well with the cleans and the barely overdriving sound on my OD202...creamback 65 sounds a little better when distorted but then it's 65 watts so have to keep that in mind when I use it...
I was going to get a 200W speaker - then last night I tested using the 202 with the band.

I plugged it into a Fender Twin cab - not sure what model speakers - sounded really great with plenty of volume just past the 50W setting. Soooo, I'm wondering if I really need a 200W speaker or could get something rated at 100W or so...

DontheMon

I was going to get a 200W speaker - then last night I tested using the 202 with the band.

I plugged it into a Fender Twin cab - not sure what model speakers - sounded really great with plenty of volume just past the 50W setting. Soooo, I'm wondering if I really need a 200W speaker or could get something rated at 100W or so...
Oh 100 is fine...I have a jensen tornado neo 100 and RWB and texas heat though thats a bit higher...It is nice to have that celestion neo 300 watt but I think highest I got it was 150 on the dial...but anything 70 and over is more than fine. If you were gigging I’d do at least a 100 or over...you’d probably get best both worlds, lower and higher sound volumes...

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member

That's kinda why I had the C90 in mind...using 200w sounds like it would be a rare thing. Plus, I generally really like the C90. So you're helping me along, here. Ha!

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Oh 100 is fine...I have a jensen tornado neo 100 and RWB and texas heat though thats a bit higher...It is nice to have that celestion neo 300 watt but I think highest I got it was 150 on the dial...but anything 70 and over is more than fine. If you were gigging I’d do at least a 100 or over...you’d probably get best both worlds, lower and higher sound volumes...
I started the master at about 11 o'clock, found our drummer to be a bit too loud still, then moved to maybe 1 o'clock and it was actually too loud LOL. Gain was around 9 o'clock. Does the Jensen Tornado handle overdrive well?

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
That's kinda why I had the C90 in mind...using 200w sounds like it would be a rare thing. Plus, I generally really like the C90. So you're helping me along, here. Ha!
It sounds very good - I actually like it better with the Quilter than the Mesa LOL.

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member

I would suggest the WGS ET-90. That might be a good match. My ET-65 sounds great with my 101R.

Al

DontheMon

I started the master at about 11 o'clock, found our drummer to be a bit too loud still, then moved to maybe 1 o'clock and it was actually too loud LOL. Gain was around 9 o'clock. Does the Jensen Tornado handle overdrive well?
Just that edge kinda, like the gain dial sounds good but pedals gets a little too fuzzy/undefined...the clean is great though like good reverb pedal it’s a tone master...I’ve always wondered how that clestion red back would sound...ha maybe in a few months...but I can experiment more might be a week we are going away. I’ve just been clean and touch of gain with the neo though mostly and a fender reverb pedal...

A440

Silver Supporting Member
I’m enjoying my superblock US and contemplating a 101 Reverb if similar with increased headroom…

Jim Kelley

Platinum Supporting Member
I’m not looking for exactly a Fender sounding amp just a good clean sounding amp that takes pedals good that doesn’t weigh a ton. My drri is plenty loud for my use I was hoping someone could tell me if the Quilter would be at least as loud as my drri.
It would blow the speaker in your Deluxe if you let it. I’ve played outdoor gigs where the guitarists used them. They definitely get the job done. If you like your pedal setup it’s a good solution.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I would suggest the WGS ET-90. That might be a good match. My ET-65 sounds great with my 101R.

Al
So, back from vacation(s) and finally ordered a cab from Mojotone. I am thinking of going with the Et-90. Just a follow up question...have you ever used it to amplify a modeler (FM3, Helix, etc...)? I'm hoping to get something I can use with the Quilter but also to amplify my modeler sometimes. I know it'll work, but wondering if you've tried it?

ellis dee

it's really good, I was playing it some more this afternoon. With 200 Watts I'm worried I'll blow the speaker unless I get something that can handle the power, although at the 50 Watt setting it's freakin' loud!
i have blown more than one speaker with the 202. need to be careful.

ucnick

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW below is part of a discussion I had with Pat Quilter about speakers tto use with my old TB200 I owned a few years back, you folks may find it informative. I did:love:.

As a result, I do use a EPS12C in an old Lopoline convertible cab and it works very well with my TB202, as well as my Fryette PS-100.

Pat Quilter 2016:

With respect to your power ratings: modern guitar speakers have high temperature voice coils that absorb a remarkable amount of power but they are still coupled to vintage-style cones that were originally mated with 25W voice coils, because these cones have historically desirable tone properties. The result is that most “guitar speakers” will audibly begin to protest with various forms of “quacking” (cone breakup) or even bottoming out, before reaching the thermal limits of the coil. If you pay attention to these signs of distress you will find a reasonable operating point, which will probably be less than 100W on the British-style Weber. The Eminence Commonwealth is probably based on a cleaner pro-audio cone which may be more generic sounding but will probably hold more volume before cone breakup sets in.

For a lighter weight rig, I can recommend an Eminence EPS-12C as a highly efficient, 300W neo-magnet 12-inch speaker with a full bass, warm clean mids, and a nicely tempered slightly crisp treble, as a speaker that should take the full power of the Tone Block and provide a lot of good-sounding stage volume. It’s the only speaker I have heard that outperforms our HD speaker (Celestion BN12-300S). Our Steelaire 15 is based on Eminence’s EPS-15C, but I had them do mods to open up the treble response of the stock speaker which cuts off sharply above 2.5kHz, as desired by most pedal steel players.

Pat Quilter

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Food for thought... the Quilter Mach 3 combo uses a Celestion Copperback 150W speaker. Might be a good choice as well.
I had watched some comparisons with the Copperback, Redback, and a few others. I was leaning towards a Redback honestly...didn't love the Copperback but it's really hard to know without trying it in my cab with my amps unfortunately.

makerdp

Yup that's the problem with buying speakers and pickups... your experience is going to be different than other peoples'. Lot of variables even before you get to the subjective aspect of it all.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom