Quilter Tone Block Cant get it clean! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bruce85, May 8, 2016.

1. Bruce85

Bruce85 Member

Hey guys.

I just got one but I cant get a clean sound out of it.

Im using it at about 2 watts at home with the gain knob set around where it says guitar however all I get is an overdriven sound.

I tried a valve head through my cab and its clean as it should be.

What am I doing wrong?

Or is the unit faulty?

Thanks!

2. slybird

slybird Member

I own a 101. I use Les Paul guitars.

Ignor the guitar label. Lower the gain to below line. Gain at a 9:00 position should be pretty clean with Full Q voice (Quilter's standard, what's on the Tone Block). Wattage setting shouldn't effect the gain at all.

If you want cleaner get the 101. The Surf voice is really nice and is loud enough for all but the loudest bands. I typically use the Surf voice with the gain set in the 2-4 range.

3. teemuk

teemuk Member

Toneblock is very different to other amps: "Master" control actually sets the overload point of the power amplifier in terms of output power limit, and if you dial it to "2 watts" then you simply face headroom limits of a 2-watt amplifier. There's no headroom for really "clean" playing with that setting, but the overdrive characteristics should be similar to generic tube guitar amps. Unfortunately that doesn't help much if you want clean sound.

Most people who want clean cleans use >50W amplifiers that have headroom to reproduce the signal cleanly, including transients. Clean signal has huuuuge crest factor compared to compressed/distorted "clean" signals so plenty of headroom and output power is needed for undistorted signal reproduction. But generic amps have a "Master" or "Volume" control that works differently: It does not decrease actual output power of the power amp, it simply attenuates its input signal.

The control similar to this function in ToneBlock is the "Gain", which controls input signal sensitivity. Generic "Guitar" setting should be around 12 o'clock or a bit below and the right hand range of the dial should introduce more overdrive to the signal.

So if your problem is that you can't get cleans out of the amp try turning the Master control up and Gain control down. Now headroom of power amp should increase allowing cleaner signal reproduction at higher volume levels and the input signal's magnitude should decrease below overdrive threshold of the amplifier. You simply need to find the "sweet spot" at your playing volume levels.

Bruce85 likes this.
  4. Bruce85

Bruce85 Member

Okay thanks guys.

I wasn't sure if you could play a guitar through it with it set in the line level section.

So basically if I set it as two watts I must turn the gain down to line level for when playing at home and if im gigging and I want a clean sound then when I have the master set to say 40 watts and the gain pointing to around 'guitar' then it should still be clean?

Thanks!

5. slybird

slybird Member

No. Set your gain and leave it. Once you have your gain and TriQ set the only knob you touch is the power setting. It should sound consistent from 1 to 200 watts.

6. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

like slybird said, set the gain the lowest and then crank the master. Your guitar may have loud pickups overloading the preamp gain stage...

Bruce85 likes this.
  7. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

By the way I just checked the Quilter website. The new Tone Block 201 now share the exact same EQ section than the 101 Head !

8. slybird

slybird Member

I can't imagine they will continue to sell more Tone Blocks with this offering. I might sell my 101 for the DI and extra watts, but I can't imagine ever needing the extra power.

9. Bruce85

Bruce85 Member

10. blowery

blowery Member

Like everyone said, set the gain to how you would like it, i.e. clean, edge of breakup, crunch then adjust your wattage to the level you need volume wise. The controls are a little different than a traditional amp, but you will get used to them. IMO, I would honestly send back this and get the Tone Block 201. All the features of the Mini 101 AND Tone Block together!

Yeah thats crazy, the only option I would really need/like is the D.I. option. Then it's a complete pedal board setup into FOH if you want to. Does the D.I. on these have any speaker emulation?

11. Bruce85

Bruce85 Member

Thanks so far guys.

I honestly dont mind the limited features of the Tone Block 200. That's what made me choose it over the Pro Block as I don't need the extra features. Same goes for the new 201.

I just wasn't sure if you could run it safely in the line level section of the gain dial with an electric guitar.

I see the Pro and 201 just state 0 and 10. Guess perhaps to avoid this kind of confusion.