• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Quilter vs tube amp

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
As I posted in another thread… I’ve had a lot of Quilters - and they have always been good-sounding, versatile and extremely portable alternatives to tube amps

But the SuperBlock UK I just picked up is at another level, in terms of really nailing the sounds

GerryJ

Is the Superblock US really loud enough for pristine cleans with a band? Or one of their other models? Thanks.

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Platinum Supporting Member
Is the Superblock US really loud enough for pristine cleans with a band? Or one of their other models? Thanks.
I say not really, others here say yes. My drummer seems to hit harder than others, so it seems my experience is not reflecting the reality of other TGP'ers.
One trick: if you boost the input with a clean pedal you will get more volume as the amp has quite high headroom.

I have no experience with other Quilters, but obviously they have higher wattages. What makes the new superblocks so cool is that they are extremely close to their tube amp colleagues not only in terms of tone but in feel as well, so I am not sure if I'd go and try older Quilter releases. There are fans of those as well here so I am sure you will get a different opinion here soon.

Kerrang

Depends on the band. I haven’t compared them with a decibel meter but I’d bet the Superblock US has a louder pristine clean than a Deluxe Reverb. It’s rated at equivalent of 25 “tube” watts and I think that’s an honest even conservative rating. I’ve had no problems getting pristine clean in two different four piece bands, rock and blues. I suppose if you’re in a bigger band with a loud drummer, two guitars, keys and more you might want a bit more clean headroom - but - maybe not. It’s a very impressive little piece of equipment. Note also its combo sibling the Aviator Cub is rated at 50 watts.

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
Depends on the band. I haven’t compared them with a decibel meter but I’d bet the Superblock US has a louder pristine clean than a Deluxe Reverb. It’s rated at equivalent of 25 “tube” watts and I think that’s an honest even conservative rating. I’ve had no problems getting pristine clean in two different four piece bands, rock and blues. I suppose if you’re in a bigger band with a loud drummer, two guitars, keys and more you might want a bit more clean headroom - but - maybe not. It’s a very impressive little piece of equipment. Note also its combo sibling the Aviator Cub is rated at 50 watts.
I compared my Quilter 101R (50 watts) to my Mesa Express 5:25+ here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/quilter-101r-vs-mesa-express-5-25.1980355/

Since then, I have put a Radio Shack analog db meter on both, and the Quilter and Mesa were pretty much equal. There is a point where the Mesa doesn't get any louder and just continues to break-up. The Quilter, OTOH, just gets louder. I'm becoming very curious now about the Superblocks...

Al

marsos52

I have PRO BLOCK 200 and a DR Z Therapy and a Amplified Nation Wonderland overdrive

I can the quilter close the the Wonderland and almost dead on to the Z

i mostly have the limiter dial at 9 to 10 O'clock and the gain in the 2 O'cock area

and I get sag thats very tube like

Kerrang

I compared my Quilter 101R (50 watts) to my Mesa Express 5:25+ here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/quilter-101r-vs-mesa-express-5-25.1980355/

Since then, I have put a Radio Shack analog db meter on both, and the Quilter and Mesa were pretty much equal. There is a point where the Mesa doesn't get any louder and just continues to break-up. The Quilter, OTOH, just gets louder. I'm becoming very curious now about the Superblocks...

Al
The SB US is amazing to me. I was mostly a convert with the 101R, but the SB US has made me an evangelist. This, from a guy who has a couple really beautiful sounding boutique tube amps and was a tube snob. I’m tempted by the SB UK but I’m pretty happy with the Brit style sounds I can get from the US with my MIAB pedal.

jellodog

Honestly - I keep saying this in multiple forums (and I'm probably annoying, I know), but my feelings are the same as the others here (Jon, Kerrang, Al, GenoVox etc.):

I don't know what they changed with the more recent Quilter devices, but clearly there's been an evolution in the hardware and sound because it is just so good now (once you get used to dialling in the EQ, Limiter and Gain relationships, which isn't difficult). I'm now a convert.

If you've tried a Quilter device from a few years ago and weren't sure you liked it, then it's worth trying one of the new ones. The SB US is an affordable way to dip your toe in the water (if you already have cab).

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
The SB US is amazing to me. I was mostly a convert with the 101R, but the SB US has made me an evangelist. This, from a guy who has a couple really beautiful sounding boutique tube amps and was a tube snob. I’m tempted by the SB UK but I’m pretty happy with the Brit style sounds I can get from the US with my MIAB pedal.
So what is the major difference between the 101R and the SB US?

Al

Kerrang

So what is the major difference between the 101R and the SB US?

Al
The differences are subtle to me - l like the 101R a lot - but I perceive they’ve taken things to the next level with the voicing and response (“feel”) with the Superblock. The three voices are all cool, distinct from each other, all useful, and definitely consistent with the labels they’ve given them (blonde, tweed and black if I remember right). I like the overdrive and its interaction with the limiter better. I like the highs better as well - they are more sparkly and detailed sounding to me. It actually sounds better to me than my Princeton RI, and takes pedals better as well.

Think Floyd

Gold Supporting Member
I heard a friend play through his Quilter head; it was either a Tone Block 202 or an OverDrive 202. He liked it, but I didn't care for it at all. However, the Aviator cub seems like something I'd like to try, if I ever see one around here.

Kerrang

I heard a friend play through his Quilter head; it was either a Tone Block 202 or an OverDrive 202. He liked it, but I didn't care for it at all. However, the Aviator cub seems like something I'd like to try, if I ever see one around here.
I think a lot depends on getting it dialed in right. I’ve certainly heard crappy sounding tones from tube amps, thinking at the time that the players weren’t getting the best out of them.

jellodog

I think a lot depends on getting it dialed in right. I’ve certainly heard crappy sounding tones from tube amps, thinking at the time that the players weren’t getting the best out of them.
This! True of the Quilters too. The active EQ is extremely versatile, but of course you can just as easily dial in crappy tones with that sort of versatility, as you can good tones.

I was initially disappointed with Voice 3 on the Quilter OD202 - it's the scooped Mesa Mark II / blackface-ish voice. I was using my Mojotone Fender-style cab with a Neo Creamback. My first impression was that the OD202 Voice 3 was a little thin and cold compared to the Superblock US with similar settings (fairly neutral on the dials), so I stuck to the warmer and more harmonic dumble-ish Voice 2, which is really nice - but it didn't have as much of that Fendery roundness and punch.

A couple of days later, I went back to Voice 3 and tried harder to dial in with my ears rather than my eyes. I added a lot more bass than I thought that I needed, a hair more mids, tweaked the limiter, gain and cut a lot of treble...

And ahhhh... there it was!

Really happy with the OD202 now. With a good outboard spring reverb, I've got Voice 3 sounding somewhere between a Deluxe Reverb and a Super Reverb. Amazing.

I'll tell you what though - it made me realise what incredible value the Superblock US is too, because the '65 voice in the SB US is just so good and very similar. I didn't need the OD202, but I'm on a bit of an investigative Quilter odyssey at the moment.

Last edited:

Think Floyd

Gold Supporting Member
In this situation, he's an excellent player with a good ear; it's just that it didn't sound good TO ME. It's just like how many people love that Fender Blackface sound, but I hate the mid-scoop!

Kerrang

In this situation, he's an excellent player with a good ear; it's just that it didn't sound good TO ME. It's just like how many people love that Fender Blackface sound, but I hate the mid-scoop!
My favorite most used voice on the SB US is the “57” (tweed). It is not mid scooped and can be dialed to even early Marshall/bluesbreaker-ish tones.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom