Quite possibly the best $30 I have ever spent on a pedal

mysterious1s

Just got my Caline Pure Sky off ebay for $30 shipped, brand new and it is a killer drive pedal even if I had paid 3-4 times that. I purchased the pedal purely out of curiosity. I cant comment on the quality of the build or durability yet but as far as tone is concerned it is quite nice for a mostly transparent low-mid gainer. Similar to my Timmy but cant get them to sound exactly the same, the drive is just a tiny bit smoother and ever so slightly more compressed that the Timmy. Similar to my Signa drive with the toggle in the upper position. I have a feeling that it is very similar to a Lovepedal OD11 which is being delivered today. I Highly recommend this pedal if you are not sure about spending the cash for one of the previously mentioned pedals.

Last edited:

olejason

Pretty sure it IS a Timmy. They're most likely using a different IC and that's why they sound a little different. The OD11 is also a Timmy clone.

tremolo3

It does sounds like a timmy. I couldn't tell the differences on a blind test with a SF Twin at high volumes.
Construction is OK and price is excellent.

mysterious1s

It doesn't have the toggle but it sounds most like my Timmy with the toggle in the down position which is the most compressed setting I believe. My comparison was done at lower volumes in my music room, sitting directly in front of my amp, not in a full band context which may be harder to tell a difference, if at all.

Dan-o

( I sold my custom Tim 4 years ago which I maybe shouldn't have but I couldn't justify the $250 bucks which was more like $300+ back then) I JUST got a PURE SKY in the Mail along with a Caline Blue Ocean Delay ( Mad Prof Clone) for $56 bucks total & in only 5 days time Shipping from China??? Will report - thanks for starting the thread.

thecornman

I have the Caline Blue Ocean Delay and Englishman Distortion and both are excellent sounding and working pedals! I am really never surprised any more how good some of the cheap copies are now. Had great results with many.

mysterious1s

I JUST got a PURE SKY in the Mail along with a Caline Blue Ocean Delay ( Mad Prof Clone) for $56 bucks total & in only 5 days time Shipping from China??? Will report - thanks for starting the thread.
Those are the 2 Calines that I own as well, both are excellent pedals. Both very similar to the pedals that they are supposedly clones of but definitely a little different. I have played the Blue Ocean side by side with the DBD and could not justify keeping the DBD as they were SO close. The DBD was a tad warmer sounding but not enough of a difference to keep.

I have been comparing the Pure Sky with both a Timmy and an OD11 and I can easily tell the difference between them with certain settings but at times it is almost impossible to tell them apart. Although they are very close I just cant bring myself to sell the Timmy and could easily use both pedals on the same board for totally different purposes.

Dan-o

yes agree I liked both very much after playing them for a few hours last evening...Pure Sky has aspects of the Tim I owned but not all the clipping options...but nevertheless I would say its got some great tones and it compliments my Barber LTD SR (which has a flat eq & no mid hump) very well. I don't see needing any other pedals for lo gain between those 2 I have everything covered now. The PS also gets a decent mid gain that my Barber doesn't quite hit.

I was thinking the PS might replace my EHX Soul Food but they are very different & I still like the Soul Food as a clean boost into fuzz pedals to add string definition & on its own as well.

As regards the Blue Ocean that's a pretty amazing pedal for $25 I'm not a huge delay fan but it worked well with everything from the Pure Sky to my Devi Ever brutal US Fuzz its not super warm but its much warmer than many delays out there that cost 4 x more.

I think I'm going try another soon.

Dan-o

Those are the 2 Calines that I own as well, both are excellent pedals. Both very similar to the pedals that they are supposedly clones of but definitely a little different. I have played the Blue Ocean side by side with the DBD and could not justify keeping the DBD as they were SO close. The DBD was a tad warmer sounding but not enough of a difference to keep.

I have been comparing the Pure Sky with both a Timmy and an OD11 and I can easily tell the difference between them with certain settings but at times it is almost impossible to tell them apart. Although they are very close I just cant bring myself to sell the Timmy and could easily use both pedals on the same board for totally different purposes.
I just got the Caline Orange Burst CP-18 yesterday...I haven't tried the Xotic BB so I cannot compare but it's got a GREAT harmonic "sparkle" thing going on a & a really wonderful transparent drive with a nice Bottom. I'm liking it a bit more than the Pure Sky overall. I have the CP-25 Highwayman ( Xotic RC Boost) coming Monday which I'm hoping will be another nice Xotic clone. So that will be 3 Overdrives & a Delay for $110...and the build quality is fine.

Fulldrive-1

Bad Monkey is another bang for buck OD pedal. You can get them used for $20. I'd put it on the board and gig with it, it's that good.

PaulC

I can't even get the parts to make a Timmy for less than that. I don't know how they can make a profit even after shipping at that cost. This really scares me. I get that there's no R&D cost if they lifted all of that from me, but the parts costs after the fact are still something I can't compete against. This is really disheartening.

PaulC
Timmy pedals

Last edited:

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
I can't even get the parts to make a Timmy for less than that. I don't know how they can make a profit even after shipping at that cost. This really scares me. I get that there's no R&D cost if they lifted all of that from me, but the parts costs after the fact are still something I can't compete against. This is really disheartening.

PaulC
Timmy pedals
:(

MadFrank

Silver Supporting Member

PaulC
Timmy pedals
Yes, it must be. Your reputation, innovation, service and integrity are your real advantages against this competition, Paul.

Yes, it must be. Your reputation, innovation, service and integrity are your real advantages against this competition, Paul.

Amen to that. The Timmy is one of the staple drives on my board and the very best OD pedal I have come across, for my purposes at least.

For this thread's purposes though, I have bought and tried both the Caline Orange Burst & the Joyo Vintage OD. Both are serviceable OD pedals, with which a gigging musician could count on to make the night through. And there is nothing bad with either of those. And I have to say that they stand pretty well against certain other US-made ones.

BUT...

placing them next to the right OD pedal (well, the right one for me)... sorry folks, they can't hold a candle. And the difference in the sound quality is apparent. That's my personal take on it.

guitarman3001

I have the Caline Blue Ocean Delay and Englishman Distortion and both are excellent sounding and working pedals! I am really never surprised any more how good some of the cheap copies are now. Had great results with many.
I have both of those too. The Englishman does the hot rodded Marshall thing very well. The Blue Ocean sounds good............when it works. The downsides of a $30 pedal is cheap parts. When I turn it on, half the time it has no output. As in it kills my signal. I have to step on the switch 3 or 4 times to get it to actually work. Once it's on it works fine but if I have to turn it off in the middle of a song, I never know what's going to happen when I turn it on again.

Trending Topics