Quitting drinking and guitar playing dynamics...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Social Exodus, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Supporting Member

Thanks, I'll check this out...

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Good luck staying sober. It's been 29 years for me since this last January. My life keeps getting better and better ever since I stopped. I needed/need a program to stay "arrested", but it's not a lot of work for me to maintain, IME. I hope whatever method you choose to stay away works for you. If I can help in any way, let me know.

3. skip

skip Member

i ordered that book-- will give it a read
    can't hurt

4. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

A small amount of alcohol can be helpful in the same way that a benzo can be helpful to sharp shooters or snipers. As CNS depressants they can steady your hand or calm nervousness.

I had a psychiatrist that prescribed Ativan to help with a bout of anxiety and stage fright I was experiencing about 18 years ago. I would take a small dose before performances.

A beer or glass of wine has a similar effect.

That said, neither are an ideal solution. I can't say I have found the perfect alternative, but fortunately the more comfortable I am with a particular performance situation (group, material, venue) the less it is even an issue anymore. The best way for me to avoid tension or performance anxiety is to show up early, set up early, and find a corner to sit and practice for awhile. If I am warmed up, calm and comfortable, than any tension goes away.

5. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

I play for a living and quit drinking almost two years ago, and I am pretty sure my playing early in the night suffered, but my playing later in the night has improved. Lol.

If you don't want to drink don't drink, the rest will take care of itself. It will take time.

6. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

I used to think I was better after a few...

I was kidding myself.

7. 0018g

0018g Member

I quit drinking while playing live, an I guarantee you it made me a better player. I finally realized I was hired to play, not getting paid to act like a sloppy idiot.

Heinz57Pep likes this.
  8. S1Player

S1Player Member

I've never read once of someone that's achieved mastery or a high level of excellence of a physical skill - attribute that mastery to alcohol. Why would guitar playing be a unique exception in the first place?

9. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Member

Had to quit - Many Many years ago. But as far a playing goes ,at the time (Back in the Dark ages when there were many gigs and you could almost make a Living) - I played and sang for a Living. I had to walk into a Bar a few nights later and do it Sober (My Own Decision).
    I ruined Many a Friendship and Gig, but as far as actual playing goes - it only Improved upon Being Sober. I usually had a rule to not have a Beer till maybe the 2cnd Break. I would reach that "Sweet Spot" as you say during the 3rd set. After that my playing would be reckless and by the end ......
    But, I was certainly a good entertainer and from that aspect, it was mostly a positive experience. After hours & on Days off is where it started going the wrong way.
    Upon getting and staying Sober, the playing and entertaining (And Living) Improved.

10. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

I like this idea - can you talk a bit about what stretches you do specifically?

I also play better with a couple of beers. I don't know if anyone brought this up, but OP, what type of beers do you drink? To me, the best thing from this "craft beer" revolution is that one or two beers of something high quality don't make me feel nearly as crappy as one or two buds, etc. There must be some kind of preservative, or something in the mainstream brands that messes with my system.

11. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Supporting Member

I don't drink Bud, ever. That stuff gave me a headache at age 18. Probably the Beechwood aging process I figured. Normally some Sam Adams variety (Rebel IPA lately), Corona with a lime in the summer and Yuengling Lager ('cause I live in Pennsylvania lol). I think a lot of it is just my age really as my friends all experience varying degrees of the same things. It's just time I think to set it aside at least in the mainstream of my life, saving it for truly special occasions. For me, I believe meditation and exercise routines are likely the best answer, along with the best advice in this thread so far -- practice until you could do it while you are asleep.

12. Multicellular

Multicellular Member

Nothing too complicated or sophisticated. Whatever I was taught in judo. basically running each limb through its range of motion putting a little pressure at any extreme, just enough to feel a little initial discomfort.

A doctor I dated had explained to me once that stretching does work like the way I thought it did, like the muscles were like fabric that could become more stretchy..rather, stretching causes them to be more relaxed and cause less resistance to extremes. I think that that feeling of the muscles being more relaxed relaxes me. No guarantee it will work for others.