• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Quiz : Asus2 vs. Aadd9 - What is the difference

What is the difference between Asus2 and Aadd9 ?

• Asus2 has no 3rd

• Aadd9 has no 4th

• There is no difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ben

What do you mean, 'discuss without revealing'? I can answer the question, but that would presumably be 'revealing'?

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Well, a sus2 definitely has no 3rd, but an add9 can have no 3rd too. Generally I'd call it a sus chord if I wanted the tension pulling it to resolve to a 3rd, and an add9 if not. I think the distinction is similar to modes...same note but it's useful to call out what function you want those notes to play.

I started responding before the OP was edited to the "not revealing" thing. Not sure what that means.

Last edited:

vhollund

What do you mean, 'discuss without revealing'? I can answer the question, but that would presumably be 'revealing'?
Just to drive people mad i give out paradoxes as guidelines :D

Never mind that then

seacon

I'll jump in.... yes, I interperet them as different.

As for your poll, the first two options are true, but you can only select one option.

Asus2 has no 3rd
Aadd9 has no 4th

abracadabra

Asus2 has no 3rd. it is suspended, not defined as major or minor. A and E with a B added.

Aadd9 has no 4th. it is an A major (A, C#, E) with an added B.

JonR

As said above, the first two statements are both true, but we can't vote for both!

Also as mentioned, the (only) difference between the two chords is that Aadd9 has a 3rd but Asus2 doesn't.

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
I'm realizing that putting a quiz in this section is tricky. It seems like every quiz I've participated in has either had issues with the answers or has led to pages of discussion. It is fascinating.

abracadabra

^^^yep. if there were a 7th then it would be A9 (a groovy chord) :)

edit: should have said "flat 7th"

Last edited:

Ben

A9 is a dominant chord, and contains A C# E G B (assuming no notes are dropped to aid voicing). Aadd9 is an A major triad with the 9th added (hence the name): A C# E B. Asus2 has no C# in it: A B E. Asus4 also has no C# in it: A D E. If the C# was included, this would be written as an Aadd11. If it had the C# and the dominant 7th, G, it would be A11, and when voiced fully would contain the notes A C# E G B D. That chord is quite a 'crunchy' one though, and is used less than A9 or A13.

ShavenYak

The two statements are both true, but only one describes a difference between the chords. If I posted a poll:

What's the difference between Eddie Van Halen and Alex Van Halen?
1. Alex plays drums on the albums.
2. Eddie is male.

only one is the correct answer despite both statements being true.

Anyone thinking there is no clear answer to this poll must have done really poorly on multiple choice exams in school.

vhollund

I think most people have gotten bad points in school at one point so let's not...

There's a trick answer on purpose
It seems that everyone got it right so far

Last edited:

cubistguitar

no right answer

Asus2 is ABE
Aadd9 is AC#EB

thats the difference, and if you play in an ensemble is not neccessarily about what exact pitches you play as long as they are from the pitch groups i listed for each chord.

vhollund

Yes,
What makes you say there's no right answer. :)
Would "Aadd9" allows for the 3rd to be included" have been more correct ?

Trending Topics