Quiz inside (with audio): Can you tell which guitar is which?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Danielle, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Danielle

Danielle Member

Hello all!

I thought I'd try something fun this weekend since I have some free time this afternoon!

Here is the survey:
    http://goo.gl/forms/xlmW2OQQli

Here is the audio (5 and a half min):

There are TWO things to guess (amp and which guitar is which).

I recorded some brief, sloppy 30-second sound samples with a number of various guitars through exactly the same rig and settings. I thought it would be fun to see if you can all guess which guitar is which.

In order to keep it as straightforward as possible, I have done zero editing or processing, in fact I'm just posting the entire clip as a 24/96 uncut wav. There was no post-production—no compression, no EQ, nothing.

I used just 1 guitar cable and just 1 amp for the whole thing, no pedals. I did not move the mic the entire time nor adjust the amp settings the entire time.

I've got some decent mid-priced mics here and at first I was thinking I'd use an SM7 or a Blue Baby Bottle or something, but as I was setting up, I decided that no, I'm just going to do this entire thing with my old, cheap Zoom H2 + an Audio-Technica Pro24 stereo field mic instead.

This is exactly the same setup I use to record my live shows (just for my own review, with the mic on a 9' boom stand), and I thought it would be more fun—and more challenging—to see if you all could tell which guitar was which using a budget-minded, live-in-the-room recording setup. I figure, there are plenty of sound comparisons online with proper studio mic'ing and so on, but my goal is to see if you can tell the difference in something closer to a live setting - no studio tricks, no fancy mics, not even an interface. Just a budget stereo field recorder and a budget stereo field mic, solo'ed (not in a mix), in a my living room. I apologize for the sloppy playing in advance by the way... I did this in about 10 minutes total; I neglected to remove my cat from the room first and he got curious—I was trying to shoo him away with my foot while I was playing! ;)

Aside from trying to guess the guitar, I thought it would be fun to list some amps I have and you see if you can guess which one I used. Just FYI all the settings on the amp are flat.

Since some of these amps are single channel, some are solid-state, and some don't have effects, I used a simple low-volume, clean, dry tone to make it harder to guess. If you hear any air it's just the room. I mic'ed the loudspeaker about 8" away centerfire on-axis. Please note that the Pro24 is a stereo mic.

The cardboard pictured is in front of the loudspeaker just for the photo, to disguise which amp I used. It wasn't there while I was recording of course:

[​IMG]

For comparison purposes, prices are included. Prices are what each amp would have cost brand new; I couldn't find some of these numbers online so I guessed based on available info (I rarely buy new)

1st: Which amp do you think this is?

1. Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 (60 watts 6L6) ($950)
    2. Fender Blues Jr 1x12" (modded to 30 watts 6L6) ($1100 as modded)
    3. Roland Cube 40GX 1x10" (40 watts solid-state) ($250)
    4. DV Mark Little Jazz 1x8" (45-watt solid state) ($400)
    5. Fargen Custom Shop Blackbird 1x12" (30 watt 6L6) ($2500)
    6. Line 6 DT-25 1x12" (25-watt EL84 hybrid) ($1000)
    7. Friedman PT-20 1x12" (20-watt EL84) ($2100)
    8. Fender red knob Deluxe 85 1x12" (85-watt solid state) ($250?)
    9. Fender Super-Sonic 1x12" (60-watt 6L6) ($1400)
    10. Kustom The Contender 1x8" (18-watt hybrid) ($100?)
    11. Markbass MicroMark 801 1x8" (50-watt solid state bass amp) ($500)
    12. Markbass Little Mark II + Schroeder 1210L 1x10+1x12" (500 watt solid-state bass amp) ($1400)

Since some of the guitars I used don't have bridge pickups or tone knobs, and some of them have single-coils and others have humbuckers, I used either the neck humbucker (for the humbucker guitars) or the neck + mid pickup together (for the single-coil guitars) to make it harder to guess, so you can't listen for hum. All clips were recorded with the pots wide open.

See if you can guess the amp, and see if you can guess the correct order of the guitars! I'll edit this post to include the correct answers tomorrow (Sunday 17 April) evening.

2nd: In what order are the guitars played?

These are NOT in the correct order below. I will reveal the correct order tomorrow.

1. '96 Ibanez Pat Metheny PM100, stock (Japan) ($3k?)
    2. '97 Parker Fly Artist, stock (USA pre-refined) ($4700)
    3. '98 Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat (ash/rosewood), stock except for GraphTech Stringsaver saddles (USA) ($1500?)
    4. 2015 partscaster (24.75" scale wenge neck with ebony board, ash body, Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups) (Warmoth) ($600?)
    5. 2005 (?) Eastman T186MX (carved 335 clone) (China) ($1800)
    6. 1993 Schaefer 16" carved archtop (USA) ($7500)

If you guys enjoy this, I might do it again with some other guitars and/or other amps, too. Anyway let me know which one you think is which and I'll reveal the answers tomorrow!

2. Danielle

Danielle Member

Seeing as this got no replies, do you all want me to post the results? I'll write it up if someone asks me to. The quiz got 38 participants but I also posted it on Reddit.

3. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

For me, since you had them all dialed back to give you the same "jazz" type tones, it made it difficult to hear much besides that, Nice, but not much for me to go on

4. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

no one will reply because many of these guys don't want to admit it's almost impossible to tell the difference between guitars.

there's a guy on here who claims he can hear the difference between quarter sawn and plain sawn maple necks :)

27sauce likes this.
  5. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

And this too :)

6. Danielle

Danielle Member

Actually it wasn't really dialed back; the amp was set totally flat, and the guitars were all set wide open. I used the neck humbucker on the humbucker guitars, and the neck + mid setting on the single coil guitars. Other than that I just played some single note stuff and some chords. This is as "bare" a test as you can get I think. No effects, no EQ, no compression, no overdrive.

So here are the results! 54 people took the quiz; 46 answered all the questions.

I'll post your all's answers first, and then reveal the correct answers below.

[​IMG]
    Correct answer: Solid state

[​IMG]
    Correct answer: DV Mark Little Jazz 1x8" 45-watt combo

[​IMG]

Correct answer for guitar #1: '97 Parker Fly Artist (about 90% missed it)

[​IMG]

Correct answer for guitar #2: Warmoth partscaster (About 63% missed it)

[​IMG]

Correct answer for guitar #3: '98 Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat (about 66% missed it)

[​IMG]

Correct answer for guitar #4: Ed Schaefer 16" carved archtop (about 76% missed it)

[​IMG]

Correct answer for guitar #5: Eastman carved 335 copy (about 80% missed it)

[​IMG]

Correct answer for guitar #6: Ibanez Pat Metheny laminate archtop (about 85% missed it)

[​IMG]

Equal numbers preferred the partscaster and the Schaefer carved archtop. Please note that the Schaefer and the Ibanez Pat Metheny both had 12 gauge flats. The rest had rounds. The Fender had 12-gauge rounds; the Eastman had 13-gauge rounds, the Parker and the partscaster both had 10-gauge rounds.

If you randomly guessed on each guitar you had about a 17% chance of getting it right. Considering that the modal response for the guitar that was actually the Parker Fly was the 335 copy, and that the modal response for the guitar that was actually the Ibanez Pat Metheny was the Parker Fly, I'd say you guys have no idea what you're doing ;)

Hope you had fun!

7. icr

icr Member