1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

R-7 ...........extremely high output p/u's.....why?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pedalcr8z, Aug 21, 2008.

1. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Curious why Gibson p/u's are so extremely high in output? I've only owned McCarty's in the past which I guess are on the low output side....I've lived with single coils mainly for 40 years and so my humbucker experience is limited....curious why vendors don't publish measured output of their p/u's......the R-8 I have owned and my current R-7 just seem like an enormous amount of output. I have just added a Bogner Shiva EL-34 based 1x12 combo to my stable and geez, vol on ch 1 at 9 o'clock with MV at 10-11 o'clock and with the R-7 the sheer volume is enormous![​IMG]

2. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

seth lover worked for gibson and invented the humbucking pickup. one of the rules for the pickup was louder than a fender.

3. jtm622

jtm622 Member

First plug a stock Tele or Strat into your favorite amp's clean channel - unplug either of them and then plug in a stock Les Paul Standard...
    Louder? I'd say that big Seth succeeded...

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

In my experience, it isn't the pickup that is that much louder. The historics themselves tend to be loud acoustically, and the pickups only amplify that. I have two historics with burstbuckers and they are both very loud guitars---I have three historics without BB's (some with low output Lollars) and they are also very loud. Compared to PRS (which I own), they are just louder in every respect. I just turn my amp down a little more. The specs of the Burstbuckers show they are not typical high output humbuckers---it is coming from the guitar's resonance and overall design.

Me---I like output and slamming the front end of the amp.

5. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

When you say high output, what is the frame of reference that you're using? '57 Classics and Burstbuckers are medium output pickups.

6. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

thanks guys...........the guitar is loud acousticly, guess I never entered that into the equation!

7. m@2

m@2 Member

i don't know the technical reasons, but I agree the r7's p/u's are quite loud (I just have the stock p/u's, whatever Gibson puts in them). Thats what I like about mine, very different from my tele/esquires. Also, very dynamic when you use pick attack and volume knobs to control the tones.

8. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I have a 1975 335 with humbuckers. It is not nearly as loud as my R7 and R8, even though it is a louder guitar acoustically. I think part of it is also the midrange wallup that a LP will give you.