R.E.M The Forgotten Supergroup

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DRS, Aug 2, 2019.

1. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

In most cases, a "supergroup" is a band that includes members of other already successful bands. Them Crooked Vultures, Divine Fits, and Monsters of Folk are fairly recent examples.

chrisjw5 likes this.
  2. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Actually, @Droliver speaks for me too - so that’s two. How is stating your opinion “sh!tting all over” a thread? I call it healthy debate. Unless I missed some nasty insult up thread somewhere.

Droliver likes this.
  3. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

a) That "brief moment in time" lasted at least a decade and seven or eight albums, depending on who's counting. That's a lifetime in rock 'n roll years.

b) "Cultural radar" tends to circle back from time to time. You might be surprised at how R.E.M.'s influence is reflected by future generations; it's too soon to tell what their legacy might be.

c) I don't see the other groups you've mentioned having a big influence on the current generation either. Yet you seem to single out R.E.M. for denigration because you don't like their later work. I'd argue that every criticism you level at them could just as easily apply to U2. And the Cure.

chrisjw5 and A-Bone like this.
  4. one4five

one4five Member

So has U2. So has Metallica. So has "grunge." So has any countless number of artists. That's how pop music generally works: popular for a while, then gone while new trends emerge. To say artists don't have lasting influence just because their work or style is not front and center in the current scene is beyond ridiculous. Just ignorant, really. It seems like you have some personal issues with REM, lol.

chrisjw5 and OM Flyer like this.
  5. Quartermass

Quartermass Member

The I.R.S. era R.E.M. (Jesus that was alot of "periods") catalogue is ingrained in my psyche and cannot be seperated from my formative years. They were (and always be) a supergroup to me. Cheers.

6. DRS

DRS Member

It's similar to T-Bone Walker. Nobody name checks Mr Aaron Thibeaux Walker but the guys they do name check owe their licks to the source.

7. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Read the whole thread. I stand by what I wrote. I chose my words carefully.

I try to avoid threads with artists I don't care for or don't get, because if they're mentioned here, the odds are high that they're tremendously successful by any definition of the words success - and I realize that my tastes are not universal. If I am in the thread, it's so I can try to learn something because it's probably me that doesn't get it.

I try not to feel a need to tell people how bad I think their favorite artist is. It contributes nothing. It's a lot like when someone posts a pic of themselves and their spouse somewhere - even if I would think they were ugly as roadkill, I try to have the good taste not to say it.

8. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

we're telling you why they're "forgotten". for most people they were never really "there" to begin with, just some "college rock" band that sounded pretty limp. i don't think i've ever met anyone that actually listened to them.

nobody said anything about how "bad" REM is, just that they might not have had the impact on most people that they did on yourselves.

9. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

Sorry... I checked out of this thread for a while and I don’t have the will to read all of the recent posts.

If I understand it, a bunch of people came in to say how important R.E.M. was to them and how, in their opinion, the band has been a major influence on the music of today. And a bunch of other people who don’t like the band came in to say, “No. You are wrong.”

That about right?

OM Flyer and deeohgee like this.
  10. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Blackmore's Hat, OM Flyer and A-Bone like this.
  11. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Right? Not really a matter of opinion.

12. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

Southern Gothic brilliance. I've always thought that the best R.E.M. sounds like taking your shoes off and dangling your feet in a cool stream in the heat of summer somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

deeohgee and joelster like this.
  13. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Yes, that's a pretty accurate summary. I'm noticing from other threads that several of the same "No you're wrong" folks seem to mistakenly think that voicing a negative opinion of a band somehow gives them authority.

Or as Eric Hoffer once wrote, "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

14. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

And guess where you're going....

"Self-appointed judges judge more than they have sold." - Cobain.

15. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Well, no surprise there. LOL

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  16. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i've always thought they sounded like an awkward girl in middle school, going through that stage of trying to "find herself".

i do hear their influence on Kurt Cobain though, for sure.

17. Droliver

Droliver Member

R.E.M. wasn't a really "super-band" for 7-8 albums to me. It wasn't until their 7th album (Green) where they could sell out a small stadium show. They had a 2-3 yr window with AFTP and Out of Time where they looked poised to be all time greats for a moment, being peers with U2 and Springsteen, before falling off the radar commercially and critically quite quickly.

They had a great career in the pre Napster era, but it just seemed they were going to doing bigger things for a minute

18. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Interestingly, five of R.E.M's albums after Automatic For The People charted in the U.S. top 5: Monster hit #1; New Adventures hit #2 (and #1 internationally); Accelerate reached #2; Up hit #3. All of them went Gold and/or Platinum. That's hardly "falling off the radar," IMO.

And I think it's important to note the radical changes that the music industry was undergoing at that time. In short, Nirvana happened, and suddenly the "new wave" had grown old.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    chrisjw5 and A-Bone like this.
  19. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Got into them deeply in late 80s, after my infatuation with U2 waned and I hit college.

Loved all the IRS stuff, got out at Monster. Saw them a few times in the late 80's, early 90's.

Stipe's singing and lyrics hooked me, loved how he was at times incoherent in the early years. They got big, got political, got away from the "little band" feel, and the jangly guitar parts were shelved. Still love them though, they have so many good songs, Murmur is probably my favorite from them.

I'd love to front a REM tribute band, my daughter said "I sound just like that singer" when I was warbling through "Driver 8" in the car last week..

A-Bone likes this.
  20. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I cut my teeth on Peter Buck's jangle in the 80s! Can I be your guitarist?

PRW, jiml and A-Bone like this.