R.I.P. Col. Bruce Hampton

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
So sad. Lots of memories with that man.
Time is Free, Bruce.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
RIP. I dug the old Aquarium Rescue Unit.

One of my favorite Col. moments was his appearance in Sling Blade.
I used to quote that poem "I stand on a hill..." every time we would do a mic check before festival gigs. Someone would always hoot their approval.

RIP Col. Bruce.

BTW, I have a new regret in never seeing ARU live. If you have a favorite artist and are waiting to see them live, don't wait. Life is too short.

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
ARU in the early 90s was the stuff. They would commonly open for larger bands, and as their set was finishing up, they would often have a couple guys from the headline band sit in, then another, all the while ARU members would leave the stage mid-jam one by one until the bands had transitioned without a break.
Bruce used to love to talk to fans before/after shows, guessing people's birthdays, or home towns, doing parlor tricks, generally blowing minds.
One of the strangest yet sweet people I ever met.

beanbass

Woah - one of my buddies played his afterparty that night in Atlanta. He 's been playing bass & mandolin with the Col.

Last edited:

Staticbuster

Such a bummer. I've seen ARU, plus seeing The Colonel sit in with dozens of bands over the years. His energy and good will will forever be missed. Sad day.

Smashies

Gold Supporting Member
Holy s*** that's awful! He will be missed. Loved his music, especially with Aquarium Rescue Unit.

sws1

Real sad. And an eloquent way to go out I suppose.

On the other hand, I watched the video on YT. He fell down and was laying there for 3+ minutes (maybe even more) before anyone approached him. They all thought it was some sort of joke. If it was in fact a heart attack, perhaps he could have been saved if people reacted quickly. Not finger pointing at all, just commenting on one specifically tragic part of the story.

Seth L

I had the great pleasure to see The Hampton Grease Band back in the day, also The Late Bronze Age many times, and The Aquarium Rescue Unit as well. A true legend.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
He used to come through here with the ARU pretty frequently (we're not far from Atlanta) and it was always a great show. Seeing Jimmy Herring and Oteil up close in a small club was amazing.

taez555

RIP.

But man... what a freakin' way to go out. During the last song, on-stage, at a benefit concert for your own birthday. Literally playing guitar right up until the last moment. I know it's sounds horrible, but That's freakin' awesome.

Tim Bowen

Hampton Grease Band and Eric Quincy Tate definitely get a chapter in the history of southern rock. Glenn Phillips, guitarist for Hampton Grease, plays my little town regularly and will be doing a show here in a few weeks. I expect he'll be paying tribute to the Colonel for a while, wonder if some of the old HGB material will be dusted off.

Bruce was one of a kind, and an Atlanta institution. A band I was with called the Fashion Clowns split a bill with him at a club near the Varsity in downtown Atlanta years ago, can't remember the name of the joint. Bruce was a calculated nut of course, but also very kind and gracious. At the gig he was wearing a pair of overalls with a bra on outside of the overalls. What a goof. He will be missed.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom