R.I.P. Col. Bruce Hampton

Staticbuster

That video is brutal. It'll be shoved in the faces of everyone on stage...I can't imagine how they feel. Knowing just the little I do of the Col. I could see him "falling out" on stage and being "revived" by the music...I gotta believe that's what everyone thought was happening. I just really can't fathom how they must feel.

zzzezums

Gold Supporting Member
Although I agree that he left this world doing something he loved and while being adored, that video footage is horrifying.

Tim Bowen

I met him several times. Tim, I dont know if you know Kerry Marchman, the guitar repair guru... Kerry's a pal of mine, I live nearby, and Kerry used to do Col's guitar work. I had the fortune to goof off with him and Col Bruce together. What a character he was and he really knew how to bring out the best weirdness in anybody.

A real loss for the Atlanta music community... we dont have many musical heroes here that arent rap or hip hop, so this one really hurts

Yes, Kerry's a friend. He posted a photo on social media of a headstock repair he did for the Colonel. Kerry has worked on many of my instruments, and would be doing more if I were still in the metro area full time.

Indeed, a huge loss.

jjboogie

Supporting Member
I was at the show last night. From the get go the energy was absolutely amazing! Bruce sounded the best I've heard him in years. He was so energetic and there was just magic in the room. Absolutely magic. Haven't felt that vibe at a show in a long time. Unfortunately I had to leave just before the encore. I am kind of glad I left on a high note. Bruce died doing what he loved most surrounded by his closest friends. Amen to that. That being said I do find it disturbing that he laid there for three whole minutes before anyone really checked on him. It is possible he'd still be alive if someone were more aware. RIP Colonel Bruce.

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Silver Supporting Member
To think that the musicians on and around that stage would have knowingly let the man they loved and adored die in front of them is really absurd.
They pulled it all together to have a celebration for a man who has done some much to elevate the musicianship and the music that they pour out. He was a teacher, a mentor to everyone around him and more on that stage. Those guys on stage knew him well enough to have expected him to get up and I can only assume that "wow he is really getting into it!" was only replaced with "I can't believe I didn't realize what just happened!"
Someone had said that only Gustav could pull something like that off, "going out at the finale of the birthday party all your friends threw for you, doing the one thing you loved with the people you loved!"
I just hope that those who were there can come to the same conclusion and know that Bruce would not want them beating themselves up with the what ifs, but to just continue on with the celebration!
Rest In Peace

jjboogie

Supporting Member
I spoke with both Oliver Wood and Tinsley Ellis who performed last night and knew him personally for decades. They both were sad and amazed and grateful all at the same time.

It was time for Bruce to transition and it did so at just the right time. Very poetic. Beautiful even! Yes sad too but that's part of the human experience. No one's fault. It was an incredible celebration.

Last edited:

jjboogie

Supporting Member
To think that the musicians on and around that stage would have knowingly let the man they loved and adored die in front of them is really absurd.

Not sure if you are responding to me but that was not my insinuation at all my friend.

Last edited:

beanbass

They still had an after-party? That's cold, man.

Or was it one of those fake ones that clubs have after a concert?

i doubt that they had the party after that. I should have worded it differently , as "was supposed to play the afterparty". He played a regular Thursday night gig with Bruce, and it was this band that was supposed to play the afterparty.

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Silver Supporting Member
Not sure if you are responding to me but that was not my insinuation at all my friend.
No, you do not come across that way. I feel that your humbleness and humility are apparent in the posts and threads that you share with us. I really appreciate guys like you, Kimock and Pete sharing your world up here with us! It's great insight into a world that most of us rarely see from the inside.

But the Colonel's passing has received way more news than the buzz leading up to the event. It was on a radio talk show this morning, but they mostly talked about the rock star going out on stage aspect of it after a brief history lesson that focused on the who's who on stage with him that night.
So I've been reading a lot about it in different forums and there seems to be a few folks going on about "I can't believe they didn't do anything." And I'm just like come on, really.......
Someone called it poetic, and this is really the best word to describe it from Bruce's standpoint, but I just hope those near and dear to him will realize that as well.

jjboogie

Supporting Member
i doubt that they had the party after that. I should have worded it differently , as "was supposed to play the afterparty". He played a regular Thursday night gig with Bruce, and it was this band that was supposed to play the afterparty.

They went on with the after party at Terminal West. Bruce's current guitarist Tyler Neal who is a really great guy and awesome guitarist led it. He believes Bruce would have wanted it to go on and I agree.

From what I hear the it was a great celebration for Bruce.

Blazes

I read somewhere that Col. had the habit of dropping on stage to entertain the public during his concerts, probably the cause of the inaction of the people around...We can see that the guys seemed to enjoy and laugh about his fall ... ... Unreal situation ... Sad !!

cubistguitar

Col Bruce was a real hoot, I am saddened but I can't help but think about my one close up run in with the madcap Col.

He was at a small local dive with the Fiji Mariners , they were really killing it and Col was playing some sick noise and clang thru the smallest Crate tube amp, one of those V series I think. I had just started using just a Pro Junior cranked for my live rig - I felt some connection to the approach. They were in a small green room taking a break and I just had to break in with a couple of friends of mine and try to make conversation. I told Col. that he was killing it and asked about using the small amp. Then I interjected that I had seen Marc Ribot on Waits Big Time with just the tweed champ and was inspired. He laughed and said he knew Marc and was responsible for him being f**ked up. He said Marc told him he had dropped some acid when he was a teenager and went to the Hampton Grease Band show at Madison Square Garden. During the show, the Col. hit a golf ball off the stage into the crowd, Marc said he was struck right in the forehead and forever screwed up. Ha! Not sure if I believe all that, but I loved it. I also offhand said his noisy guitar-ing reminded me of another hero Derek Bailey, he turns to the band mates and shouts " I told you, you should listening to Derek Bailey!" I cracked up again. It's fun meeting someone as strange and beautiful.

RIP or go ahead and make trouble in the afterlife too, thanks for the happy memories and jamming music Colonel.

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
Tried to see him several times when I lived in Athens back in the day. 1:30 AM and still no show. I gave up. He would never show when I went. Either that or I grew impatient waiting till 2 AM for a show to start. Actually was going to give him one last chance, as my GF had similar experiences and really wanted to see him. We didn't go because of the current traffic debacle in Atlanta. Never did see him. But as others have said, what a way to go out!

GATraveller

Anyone who complains about the other artists not quickly checking on him have obviously never seen Col Bruce live. Do yourself a favor and watch some old YouTube videos of Hampton Grease Band, New Ice Age or ARU - he has always been a performance artist!
Fortunately, I had the privilege of being there for his final performance and it was incredible. It was like he was physically present at his own memorial service. RIP Col. - you will be sorely missed.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom