R.I.P - R.E.M.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by wtdpblake, Sep 21, 2011.

1. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Wow... I wonder if the flop of the last LP had anything to do with it?? We still play about 7 or 8 of their songs today. Definitely the band that defined late 80s college radio for me.

2. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Good call.

And I'm a fan.

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

IMO a VERY graceful way of ending a venture that has produced some great music. There are many other bands who could learn from this and realize that the magic is gone and it is best to move on.

I look forward especially to seeing what Peter Buck does from here..........

4. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

They will be missed. They were a big part of the soundscape over the past decades.

5. Release

Release Member

I suppose it's time. GREAT, great band.

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I'm glad I got to see them live one last time at Madison Square Garden - even if my ulterior motive was to see Johnny Marr play with the opening band, Modest Mouse. REM still had the energy up, good on them, and best of luck to 'em all.

7. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

Wow, they certainly left their mark.

8. B Money

B Money Member

while not a huge fan, I respect R.E.M. as a group of talented musicians that seemed to really want to produce something meaningful and lasting.
    Kinda like when Soundgarden called it quits, they realized that it was time to stop and do something else, and not tarnish the legacy of what they had created together.
    Kudos to R.E.M. for staying alive for three decades in an industry that thrives on chewing up and spitting out the flavor-of-the-week artists, and here today, gone tomorrow trends.

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I agree. Also interested in Mills and Stipe's subsequent work.

One of the most important bands of my life personally.

One of the most significant bands from the 80s forward -- offering a veritable blueprint for taking indie/college success and translating a personal path to mainstream success during the period. They were a band of such seminal impact that they cast a large shadow over American indie music from at least the mid-80s till that "alternative nation" revolution in the 90s. Seemed to consistently follow their own muse and refashion their sound while maintaining an identifiable sonic signature.

To borrow Peter Buck's phrase, simply a must.

10. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I used to like them. I think with any band these days thats popular they can see the big bucks in a reunion gig 5 years down the road. Its actually easier and better financially to do this than to take a "hiatus".

11. monty

monty Member

Great band, had to happen.

12. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Damn, this sucks. I actually like a lot of their newer stuff. I like all REM, though. But I really do like a lot of their newer stuff. I think Stipe has really grown as a vocalist and lyricist.

13. saneff

saneff Silver Supporting Member

I can remember, as the socail chaimran for our fraternity, gettign REM for one of our fraternity parties. If I remember right, they were like maybe $1500.

14. FredW

FredW Member

15. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

ITEOTWAWKI... and I feel fine. They're doing it the best way to do it, in my opinion. =)

16. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson is Tio's favorite Silver Supporting Member

this

17. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Good point. I didn't think of that angle. It would certainly make for bigger reunion tours. Only time will tell (and their bank accounts) whether they'll seek the reunion cash grab.

18. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

+1.

Yeah, Peter Buck is all over the place. I recall watching an interview with him that was in a documentary about Robin Hitchcock. What Buck said a number of time was that he really enjoys making music just to make music.

The more off the cuff, the better. He really didn't like arena rock or having to rehearse for a tour and things like that. He likes to come in, leave his mark and move on to the next thing.

I wish them all well in what ever they decide to do next.

19. jmczaja

jmczaja Member

Awesome band but it was time.. BTW, Peter Buck's work with Robyn Hitchcock (another of my favs, especially the Soft Boys) is pretty good!