R.I.P. Snooks Eaglin

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by unoguitar, Feb 18, 2009.

1. unoguitar

unoguitar Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. sinner

sinner Member

New Orleans Street Singer is one of my favorite CDs.

Rest well, Snooks.

Here's the amazon blurb: Versatile and transcendent, Snooks Eaglin is known for his electric R&B, as well as his acoustic folk classics. Billed in the mid-50s as "Li’l Ray Charles," this influential New Orleans guitarist can hold his own with just his voice and guitar, though he prefers playing with a rhythm section. Eaglin was first recorded by a folklorist who heard him on the streets of the French Quarter, and has since created diverse and unique music with influences ranging from traditional blues standards to jazz, classical, and gospel. Snooks Eaglin: New Orleans Street Singeris a poignant collection of his early work, and yet still holds true to his broad range and style. 32-page booklet, 25 classic tracks (including 8 bonus tracks not available on the original LP), 68 mins. of music!

3. Mark EL

Mark EL Supporting Member

So sorry to hear this! Was looking forward to hearing him in NO during the Fest, perhaps at the Rockin' Bowl.

Still listen to his decades old first album regularly via iPod - "Country Boy, Down in New Orleans". Interesting path from raw acoustic and 12 string country blues to his eventual eclectic electric persona.

One of a kind! Another original gone. RIP Snooks.

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

A great and a NOLA legend. RIP Snooks.

Mike

5. GOLDENSTRAT

GOLDENSTRAT Member

Oh man, bummer. Just about my favorite guitar player. RIP Snooks.
    fred

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I learned some jazz phrasing from Snooks. The last blues band I was in did Snooks' version of Bill Doggett's "Quaker City". His solo on Tommy Ridgley's "Heartbreak" is a classic. RIP, Snooks. And thanks for the great music.

Tom

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

truly,one of the originals...take care,Snooks...

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

total bummer, was in NOLA last month and vowed to return to see Snooks ... dammit.

9. Autopilot Slim

Autopilot Slim Member

10. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I was very fortunate to see him preform w/ Proffesor Longhair back in the early 70`s I didn`t realize how lucky I was until much later!

11. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Original is the perfect word. Like the country song asked, "Who's gonna fill their shoes?"

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

That's the saddest news. What an amazing musician. I'm already missing him.

13. stevebandworks

stevebandworks Member

Definitely one of my all time favorites. I saw him a half dozen times or so and he always killed. A completely unique player, and personality. He was first and formost an electric player though his discography may suggest otherwise. My favorite recording has been reissued on itunes as "The Sonet Blues Story - Snooks Eaglin with his New Orleans Friends". Great playing from the man and a fantastic rhythm section. Some truly terrible guitar tones, and one of my favorite records ever.

I'm gonna miss him - his music had a unique flavor, and I won't get that fix anywhere else....

14. Captain Midnite

Captain Midnite Member

What a musician! What a loss....

15. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

"H'lo Josephine,how do you do?"

Leo Nocentelli and Snooks,were the original guys,who beat,the 'Second Line' groove,into submission,on guitar...

16. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

Snooks was somethin' else, he was great. R.I.P.

17. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

damn. snooks was a bad man. gonna miss him.

18. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

Sad loss... one of those classic unique musicians that came out of NOLA.

R.I.P. Snooks

19. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

I was honored to have known Snooks when I worked at the Louisiana Music Factory on Decatur St. It was common to have Snooks hang out at the Factory when the fancy struck him, so it was cool as all get out to shoot the breeze with the man. I spoke with him on the phone innumerable times and he was quite a character, and he would want to listen to the most off-the-wall stuff. It got to the point where if I was off, I'd sometimes call the store and imitate Snooks just to bust my friends chops. The first time I'd heard "'a'ight" was from Snooks being playfull in the store.

I have so many great stories about hanging out with him and his wife backstage, I can't even start. I remember once we were chatting backstage somewhere in the warehouse district. We were all sitting down except for Snooks -who stood in the center and held court with maybe, four or five of us. I actually ended up "interviewing" him informally. He was forthright, and his stories were indeed incredible.

Good Snooks story: I was sitting at the bar in the Rock & Bowl when Snooks ambles up past me. Instead of being guided, he was guiding a dude through the bar. I turned and said "hey Snooks, what are you doing?" He said "I'm showing him where the bathroom is!":eek::D

R.I.P. Snooks my friend. You will be missed.

20. jawjatek

jawjatek Member

Aw, man. Hated to see this thread title. :cry:

RIP Snooks.