R.I.P. to the theory of "the tone is in the fingers"...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Mar 26, 2015.

1. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

SRV steps on stage and plays someone else's guitar, amp and pedals and it sounds almost a like a shredder doing a SRV impersonation. You can clearly see him frantically turning knobs on the guitar, followed by hitting pedals searching for a sign of life. Finally resorts to the wah, which only really compounds the thin, cheesy distortion sound going on. Nothing Stevie could do but riff out because there was no tone to be had.

Even the late, great SRV needed his refined rig to sound like SRV and produce his signature tone. And yes, I too can recognize his riffs. But this isn't about riffs. It's about tone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Member

I just had this "white window" problem myself the other day. You need to edit the URL between the

3. teledude55

teledude55 Member

shows up for me...yeah, SRV doesn't sound like SRV at all...That is obviously Buddy's guitar and gear...

4. Greentone

Greentone Member

Yeah, Buddy has had lousy sounding setups since the 70s. No one has any personality playing with that much fuzz.

5. SV5150

SV5150 Member

Ouch. Point made.

6. huutevar

huutevar Member

That phrase was corrupted anyway from the original phrase, "Tone is in your flangers."

7. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

"Tone is in the fingers" has NEVER been true, has only ever been believed by morons, and is instantly and demonstrably falsifiable even on the same rig with the same player.

8. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Tone is in the Transistors! It's scientific fact! Only fools and those who can't afford to go Boutique say otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  9. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

I always thought that was a dumb notion anyway. I don't sound the same playing a Telecaster into a Princeton as I do a Les Paul in an AC30.

10. Clifton82

Clifton82 Member

I thought tone was in the dollars?

11. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Why so extreme? Certainly the way we play and the techniques we use with our fingers will make us sound better.

I'm a decent player, and think my guitar gear sounds awesome. I've heard my guitar through the hands of someone far more capable than I, and it's amazing how much better it sounds...

12. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

I don't think you understand what is meant by "Tone is in the fingers".

The thought is that even if "you" have the same gear as, for example, SRV that "you" will not be able to just play and sound like him.

To get closer to the truth it has to be understood that "tone" is a conbination of both gear AND technique, with technique being both the physical approach and the physical nuance (or inflection) that the player brings. EVH and SRV both have different gear AND different techniques. If you have them play each other's gear they won't sound like the other person. They sound like themselves playing with a different tonal set up.

Some tones are basic enough for the general guitarist to pick up. Get a guitar with a similar pickup and a similar amp and effects and you're all set. Others take gear, technique, and a certain touch. SRV has, amount other things, a certain swing to his playing, while EVH, due to just him and his brother playing together, tries to take up as much space as possible with different approaches. You've got to stay pretty busy to cop the EVH tone as a whole.

I know some here when asked to suggest what gear a person should get for a curtains artists tone will say,"forget it, you'll never sound like him. The tone is in his fingers". That is only partially right and usually means they don't know how to achieve that tone.

I heard some SRV in that video. It was just masked somewhat by that terrible gear.

13. 7thString

7thString Member

Tone is and always will be, predominantly; in the fingers.

14. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Metal Zone strikes again.

15. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Then I hope you "predominantly" play a Metal Zone distortion through a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec with all the knobs cranked to 10 to play smooth Jazz.

Carry on...

16. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

To reinforce what Tmidiman said, what we see here is Stevie not being able to sound like Buddy even with Buddy's gear.

17. bluflames

bluflames Member

Video doesn't work for me.

And, for what it's worth I'd rather play like SRV and have a bad tone than the other way around.

I seriously don't buy the argument that technique has nothing to do with tone. If that were true, everybody would sound the same on a given rig or on an acoustic guitar. And they don't.

I think you can add enough distortion to cover up all of those little things that make a player sound great - but that alone doesn't make the statement "tone is in the fingers" untrue. Its like saying the car is more important than the driver because Sebastian vettel can't compete in formula one with a Ford pinto.

18. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

That's not how this test case is written. The test is, get a rig that matches anyone famous and try to sound like them. You can't. That is the test.

William Braddell likes this.
  19. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

Quite a clip though... It burns Us!

(Never really was a Buddy Guy fan...)

20. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Sorry, the rumors of the death of the theory of "The tone is in the fingers" have been greatly exaggerated.

And here, inaccurately stated and misunderstood.