r 'n b acoutsic guitar?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by madog, Jun 9, 2008.

1. madog

madog Member

I have been playing an r'nb gig for about a month now and I have a breedlove that I think sounds a little thin and brittle for the style. I would like to have a more robust and bass-responsive acoustic that can fill up a room. I was thinking a good martin would be nice but I have also thought about collings and santa cruz guitars. Any suggestions?

2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've been using my Collings CJ in my R&B based trio with great results. It has a K&K and I run it through my Genz Benz Shen Pro and it sounds fat. That being said, my Composite Acoustics dread with the same pickup gets a very similar result, so it's as much about the electronics as the guitar. My old Bozeman J45 did a fine job in this arena and I'm sure a Martin D15 would do so as well (a real sleeper that you won't be afraid to take to a bar). Hard to beat the big bodies for a big sound.

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

If it's plugged in, try keeping your guitar but get a preamp that has a nice EQ on it - i know, sounds funny when talking about acoustic, but since it's plugged in, it's not a bad option.

If it's a small room that is unplugged or miked up only, get thee to a Gibson J45, oh yeah. Those cowboy guitars can bring plenty of bass, but still has that dry response that RnB likes - go dread 'hog on the wood for sure even if it's not a J45.

4. madog

madog Member

Yeah the guitar is always plugged in. I have thought about the J45, but i wonder about the electronics. Does the pickup system sound good?

About the Collings... what is a K&K and did you have to install the pickup system yourself or does it come stock? I am practically brand new to arena of acoustics. I've always done electric gigs... Thanks for the help.

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Collings don't come with pickups as far as I've ever seen. You can install the K&K yourself but if you've never done it it's probably best to have a luthier do it for you. I use the Pure Western Mini in both guitars and it works great for low to medium volumes, but will feedback at full band volumes (ie bass and drums). But at the lower volumes it is a very natural sounding system and requires no batteries inside your guitar which I prefer, and they cost all of about $80. You don't have to use a pre for the pickup but they sound a little better if you do. A lot of folks like the Baggs para DI, I use the Carl Martin Parametric EQ and it's a very flexible piece in a very tough stompbox format.

If you want a pickup that is the most feedback resistant at all volumes a magnetic is a great way to go. Not quite as natural but very good options are available. I used Sunrise pickups for years but these days I prefer a Baggs M1 active. Many folks like the Fishman soundhole pickups as well, and you'll see both on a LOT of big stages these days. The combo of a K&K (which is a contact pickup) and a magnetic sounds oustanding.

The other critical part of your chain will be how you amplify it. There are two basic aproaches; use an acoustic amp (which is esentially a mini PA) or go directly to the PA. I bucked the idea of an acoustic amp for years but recently bought a Genz Benz Shen Pro and it has been working out extremely well. I have 200 watts of headroom, tube pre's, two channels and a direct in which does a great job for my digital piano. Acoustic guitars and vocals sound outstanding through the amp. I can run lines out of the amp to the PA for bigger venues so the amp becomes a personal powered monitor. I also can run my V-Stack Tweedy pedal (could be a Pod, Sans Amp, whatever) into the line in and get a very passable electric guitar tone so I have a backup for my electric amp. A heck of a lot of bang for the buck, not to mention the tone of the amp is excellent. I'm able to get this much use out of the thing because of the power and the 12" speaker. And it's still a one hand carry. I wouldn't get anywhere near this much use out of a 60 watt acoustic amp with 5" speakers.

Amplifying acoustics is more complicated than electrics, but in the end the gear is really good these days and you can put it together pretty easily. Hope this helps.

6. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

:agree Collings and Santa Cruz are outstanding builders if the price is within your budget, definitely great guitars to consider!

OTOH a Martin 000-15S with a K+K min would do well as an r'nb guitar for a very modest price. Plenty of bass with an awesome blues sound. :AOK

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  7. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

jgm has a good suggestion.

Plenty of Larry Carlton acoustic vids on Youtube that demo the use of a magnetic.

I would double it with the piezo, and also consider heavier strings or just heavier G,B, & high E.

Hears a clip with my Breedlove, piezo only, through a processor-preamp, light guage strings, and as you mentioned..the high end notes are on the thin side.

[​IMG]

http://www.atozclean.com/Media/AcoustaThang.mp3 [​IMG]

I would expect the aforementioned mods would cure it...for much less than another guitar. Not my main guitar though, so I'm not eager to change it.