Thanks a bunch!I do not profess to be an expert on the subject but this is what I know:
The G0 was based on a 1960 Les Paul from their Hollywood GC hence the G0 serial number designation as opposed to the R0 serial number.
- The R0 has a flamed top and the G0 has a plain top (there are exceptions).
- The R0 has knob pointers, the G0 does not (exceptions).
- The R0 has reflector knobs, the G0 has amber knobs (again there are exceptions - 50th anniversary run, etc.).
- The G0 from 2010 on has the coil splitting feature.
- There are variations between single ring and double ring tuners.
- The large majority of G0's came in the iced tea/honeyburst/tak burst finish. Eventually the CS started putting out a variety of finishes for the G0.
- Serial number designation, R0= 0 ####, G0= G0 ####.
- The G0 is no longer in production
- The G0 sold at a substantially lower price point than a R0 - IMHO the best value in a Gibson CS Les Paul.
I heard a rumor that they did make an R2 years ago but extremely limited numbers. And I'm not talking about the tribute's made in 2009 or so. This was either a late 80's or early 90's run. I have one of the tributes and it's a fun guitar.probably a prototype kit and phone logs to the name sake as case candy?