R4 and R6 do they have a maple top ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Strat58, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi I want to buy a R4 or R6 and have this question, have they both a maple top and what is the best of the 2. I have a VOS Junior and its got that dreadfull sitar effect due to the bridge, I realy don't want that again, I like the looks of a R4 but are afraid of the sitar thing. The R6 also looks mighty fine and its almost the same ? or has the R4 more sustain.
    Thxx you for your time.
    Peace Strat58

2. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

A junior that sounds like a sitar? Have you heard a sitar? HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN A SITAR?!?!

I'm just kidding bud, but on the real, my jr. doesn't sound like a sitar, if you haven't had it properly setup, you may wanna have someone take a poke at it, and if that doesn't yield the results you want, look into an aftermarket bridge with adjustable saddles.

That said, R4 customs--as in the fully bound w/a diamond headstock--have an entirely mahogany body, including the top. A goldtop r4 or r6 will have a maple top.

3. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

the VOS junior has that wrap around bridge right? The R4 will have that also.
    so you might as well get an R6. neck carve is not that much different between both.
    and i think both of them are maple top. i am not sure about the R4. but the R6 has maple top.

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

They both have a maple top (see link), like the original '54s and 56's did. Locust is thinking of the LP Customs of that era. The major differences are the tune-o-matic vs wraparound and the neck profile. Since you have a wraparound bridge now and don't like it, my advice is to get the R6 (tune-o-matic) and then get your Jr fixed. That sitar noise is not normal and can be repaired cheaply. Then you have the best of both worlds.
    http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...ibson-Custom/1954-Les-Paul-Goldtop-Gloss.aspx

5. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Yeah, I tried to explain that via differentiating the goldtop to the doublebound custom, but, you know, those stupid R-_ abbreviations

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

Here's my R4 & R6, side by side. Both have maple caps.

[​IMG]

7. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi thxx you for your help, yeah the Junior sounds great but its realy annoying those double sounds on the high strings, I have seen the bridge is leaning to the neck so maybe new studs to replace the old ones.
    Peace Strat58

8. mainsale

mainsale Member

...and a R4-custom, that is mahogany, top & bottom.

[​IMG]

9. Peteyvee

That's a sign that you need to get it fixed. My Hysterical Special with a wraparound sounds great...

10. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Whoaa thats a nice black beauty oh man if I could find that guitar here in Holland that would be a dream come true :)
    Peace Strat58

11. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Here's my VOS R4 custom and my Jr!
    [​IMG]

12. MarkMan7

MarkMan7 Member

One more perspective..My R6 in dark burst.

[​IMG]

13. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

How I fixed my "sitarish" Special. It now intonates properly, and yes, it's fugly.
    [​IMG]

14. Peteyvee

My Hysteric '05 '60 special didn't need no fixin'. It was fine after just a setup. FWIW: It came with the lightweight aluminum wraparound and I think it's purty. The neck looks a lot darker than that in person. Must have been the flash...

[​IMG]