R4 - intonation problem?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by katarzis, May 19, 2006.

1. katarzis

katarzis Member

anyone experienced any intonation problem with the 54 goldtop?
    thanks.

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'm sure someone has had a problem with intonation issues with any kind of non-intonable bridge.

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Not really, in all honesty it depends on how fussy you are about intonation, which I guess depends on the type of playing you do. Mine is pretty spot on and I never notice it out when the drummer comes in. Besides the benefits of the wraptail outweigh the small intonation problems.
    Wrap tails just rock!

Keep in mind I am one of those guys that never noticed any big whoop over the Feiten system.

4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I recently got an R4 Oxblood Les Paul with the wraptail. My findings are the same as Mr.Hanky's.

INCREDIBLE guitar.

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

I'm with Mr. hankey. I love my Brockburst Cloud 9 R4. I think it's my current No.1. Intonation is just not an issue.

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I have a 54 goldtop and a 54 oxblood. You do have to intonate the wraparound itself via the setscrews. After that, it intonates very well, at least with my string gauge (11's). When using a tuner on stage, it tune the g and b stings slightly flat and make sure the d string is not flat. That has worked well for me for years.

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

It's well worth trying different string brands and gauges to improve intonation.

They're not all the same with respect to the way they intonate - core size v wrap size.

Can you be more specific about the nature of the intonation prob? Is it the high string(s)? Low String(s)? What gauges and brand are you using now?

Steve (shallbe) is right about the set screws - start there.

I think the tone of a wraparound tailpiece and the feel outweigh intonation issues. Don't be discouraged - I thin the intonation issues are solvable.

Good Luck, Dana

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

If you ever want to feel a guitar "come alive" replace a Badass or a similar intonable wraparound with a standard wraparound. I had small intonation issues with using 10s on my old 58 Special, so I replaced the bridge with a Schaller. After a while of it not really jumping out at me- I replaced the stock bridge on it and BAM!

9. Mr.Hanky

Yeah, I love the feel and tone of the wraptail.
    It has this immediate attack,response and sustain that my two TOM's lack.
    Has a bit more zing to it as well, a sustain and single not monster.

10. katarzis

katarzis Member

Thanks all!
    Dana - i don't have a R4 - yet.
    i'm about to buy one and just want to be sure about it.
    thanks!

11. dlacx

dlacx Member

Ditto. My Oxblood is a monster!

12. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

FYI: If you are truly concerned/have an issue with intonation, TonePros makes a wrap-around bridge with individual adjustable saddles for Gibson guitars.

13. Legend

Legend Member

Another R4 Oxblood user here, and mine intonates up just perfect with a set of 11's.

14. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Has anyone here actually tried the Tonepros wraptail in comparison to the stock unit? I've got Tonepros stuff on all my guitars, and was going to get one for my new CHAMBERED R4. The stock wraptail certainly has an immediacy about it, but in a three-guitars-plus-bass band intonation becomes a concern. Besides, this guitar is one of the most incredibly resonant axes I've ever played, and I'm thinking the combination of intonatable saddles and locking studs will further enhance the Tone. Anyone care to share their experiences here? Thanks again as usual for your help!-Eric

15. Mr.Hanky

I only have a tonepros bridge on my 82 custom and it is nice. I put the pigtail stuff on my R7 and R4. Some have said that the pigtail wraptail intonates better since it has a ridge on it, unlike the smooth wraptail that Gibson provides.

[​IMG]

16. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I'm a very happy R4 owner. Mine is also a Cloud 9 (chambered).

No intonation problems that I have run into, but then I have not had a chance to play it in a band situation.

I don't think my bandleader would appreciate a P-90 LP since my current band plays old Bennie Goodman style swing music.

:AOK

17. Mr.Hanky

Oh, then you need one of these.

[​IMG]

Maybe with a Floyd though.

18. alainguitars

alainguitars Silver Supporting Member

I have tried the tonepros and the pigtail on my R4 and also have an original 53 with the original tailpiece. The pigtail intonates better than either the gibson or the tonepros. If your issue is with the lower strings being flat at the 12th fret, Steve will make the ear cutout a little deeper. Having the ridge on the tailpiece also helps a little bit. I would also suggest getting the deeper studs per the originals. Gibson is making their studs shorter than the originals.
    I would think a p 90 equipped chambered guitar would do Benny Goodman quite well if you kept it clean?

19. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I totally disagree... I had a '57 Junior a few years ago, which I put a Badass on. It massively improved the tone - really not a small difference, it was noticeably more resonant, powerful and defined. When I sold it, the guy who bought it put the original bridge back on, and it went back to sounding less good. Possibly one reason was that the correct height adjustment for the Badass on that particular guitar was with the height posts down hard onto the body, but I'm not sure if that was the only factor. Either way it certainly didn't "come alive" with the old bridge... quite the opposite.

20. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've owned/played a number of wrap-tail guitars, both vintage and new. No intonation problems at all, and as Steve says, the sonic benefits of the wrap tail far exceed any perceived intonation issues...