1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

R6 goldtops

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frank62, Aug 20, 2005.

1. frank62

frank62 Member

i have decided to get a new goldtop. doing some searches i found that some have 60s necks, some 59 necks and some are all gold. now what was the neck on the original 56? while maybe not "correct" i think i would like the thinner neck. found some from 1500-2000 in as new shape. who has one of these? tell me about yours.

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I found the 56 to be CLUB like. HUGE...........while the 54 while being big, is very playable. Maybe the best LP I ever played. The wrap around bridge also sustains forever.

R4..........:dude

3. frank62

frank62 Member

to be more clear i found several R6s with different necks and finishes, some all gold, some goldtop, some fat necks and some thin necks. i assume the the R4s and the R7s can be had this way as well.

4. Rich

Rich Member

R4s are special order now. 6s and 7s can be light mahogany back or dark mahogany back, but no all gold. Never came that way as a "standard" reissue-- must have been a special deal.

The necks do vary but you cannot just buy with a 50s neck or a 60s neck like you can with a production LP Standard. Kind of luck of the draw with the Historics unless you actually do a true custom order and pay for it.

5. cycler

cycler Supporting Member

to be honest, the only R6 i have played is the one i own...the neck is huge, but not uncomfortable by any means...once i start playing i dont even notice the neck size...

6. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

My 02 R6 neck is fat, but not nearly as big as my R8.
    Great guitar, by the way.

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

My 2005 R6 has the biggest neck of all my guitars. I would probably use the word "huge" to describe it, as well.

8. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I'm about to buy one within the next week, I can't wait, I've lusted for it for a few months now. Man I miss having a guitar with P 90's and for it to also have a baseball bat neck? I'm gonna be in heaven!

9. mitch

mitch Guest

I got a 96 from Billy bling, I was playing her for about an hour last night, recording on my home 12 track, and although a little noisy, what a great sounding and feeling guitar. Neck is fat, but fast, and the tone is raw... great guitar to have in the arsenal...

10. jetlag

jetlag Member

My 2003 R6 had a ridiculously huge neck. I called it a "clown shoe" neck. Overly exaggerated - and I say that while owning a real '56 goldtop and also gigging quite a bit with old archtops that have big necks. The R6 made my old harmony archtop's tree trunk feel small! I've played R6's from earlier years that had more reasonable sized necks - a 99 for instance. I think the neck profile varied quite a bit year to year.

11. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

The two R6's that I have owned have had large necks - that being said, they really do have some variance in them. Best to try a bunch out and decide for yourself. I would not however describe the necks as small by any means - certainly much larger than any of the 59 Historics I have had, much less then 60 re issue.

-- Barr

12. Calloway

I just got my R6 today, my first Custom Shop Les Paul, I had a 336 for a time, but I finally realized I'm a Paul guy, only after 10 years! Man is this thing great, the neck is huge, just enough to where it isn't impossible. Great sustain, and the neck P 90 is just awesome. What a great guitar, its nice to have something with P 90's in the aresenal!

13. karmadave

karmadave Member

Save yourself about $1K and buy a Tokai LS80 Goldtop with P90's. I've owned mine for about 6 months and it's awsome! The neck is medium ('59 profile) and it's under 9 lbs. Most R6's I've played have HUGE necks and tend to be on the heavy side. I'll probably get around to upgrading the electronics, at some point, but the pickups sound great. Blues tone for days, especially thru my Tweed Deluxe clone. If you must own a Gibson fine, but the Tokai's are nicer IMHO...

14. frank62

frank62 Member

i had a 68/56 for a long, long time and it got stolen. i was so sick about it i stayed away from les pauls for almost ten years. kind of like when i lost my wife i could not look at women that reminded me of her. anyway elsewhere on the forum it seems some "experts" have been saying there are no good gibsons. that they won't stay in tune and you can't record with them. who are these guys anyway? i just do not see how anybody can say gibson les pauls are not any good. i am old and i have seen lots of guitars come and go. one thing for damm sure..gibson les pauls will be around long after all the current "master luthier" jive ass copies have landed in the pawn shops. i really don't friggin care if so and so can build a "better" guitar it is not a gibson. i am going to chicago in the morning and won't be back until i get a brand new junk gibson R6.

15. karmadave

karmadave Member

Take it easy :) I am no expert, and I know that there are some quality-built newer Gibsons out there. I own a '59 Historic ES-335 myself that is absolutely awsome (after spending some $$$ on bigger frets and nicer pickups), but after having played a few R6's, I just didn't like the neck sizes or care for the heavier weight. If that doesn't bother you, then fine. To me, a guitar is about playability and tone. If the neck doesn't feel right, I won't desire to pick it up and play it. My friend has an awsome R8 that he recently sent to RS to have the neck shaved, so that's always an option.

Please don't discount the Japanese guitar brands (Tokai, Edwards, Orville, etc.) They were building quality repro guitars back in the '70's before Gibson "got it" and started offering historically accurate Les Pauls. If having "Gibson" on the headstock is that important than by all means, buy one and enjoy! My reply was not meant to flame Gibson, just to point out that we as consumers DO have choices!

16. Scott_F

Scott_F Member

I bought a used 98 R6 and it has a nice fat neck on it, but not overly so.

Paid somewhere around 1700 for it I believe.

17. Calloway

i am going to chicago in the morning and won't be back until i get a brand new junk gibson R6.

MidWest Buy and Sell has one for $2000 I almost drove out there to check it out, but I found one here in town new for very little more.

18. frank62

frank62 Member

small world. wayne and ron at midwest buy and sell are old friends. i used to live around the corner. wayne dosen't know it yet but he just sold an R6.

19. Calloway

20. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

my have things changed, the necks on the R6's now are quite nice :)