R7 and R9 Les Pauls

Souled Out

I am embrassed to say I don't know the difference between and R7 and R9 Les Paul. Any help is appreciated.

Unburst

R7='57 Historic Reissue, Goldtop.

R9='59 Historic Reissue, sunburst and flame maple top.

In real terms the difference is the fancy top on the R9 and a $1000 price hike.

matte

Unburst said:
R7='57 Historic Reissue, Goldtop.

R9='59 Historic Reissue, sunburst and flame maple top.

In real terms the difference is the fancy top on the R9 and a $1000 price hike.
And the gold paint on the R7 adds a serious bump in the top end. Just axe Rev Blly G.

Johnnytone

Silver Supporting Member
Also keep in ming that Gibson uses the lightest wood for the R9s, then the R8s, then the R7s. FWIW.

Souled Out

Thanks for the education. My Historic is a 68. I had WCR Goodwoods, Buzz Fieten Nut and RC electronics installed and can't put it down. I had thought R7 or R9 might be some kind of other upgrade I didn't know about. Sounds like I may have to get an R9 and leave it alone. Thanks

bobeau

Johnnytone said:
Also keep in ming that Gibson uses the lightest wood for the R9s, then the R8s, then the R7s. FWIW.
Both the neck size/weight are generalities. My R7 is 8.6 lbs., and another one I tried that day was 8.7. There were 8 R8s at the shop and only one was lighter than these.

johnspeck

Rusty G. said:
Not all R7's are goldtops! I've got a FLAME RED R7 that's incredible.
FWIW, my R7 is both. It has the standard Goldtop, but looking closely, you can see the flame underneath. The control cavity shows the maple top has great flames. I've seen another on the LPF that is so obviously a flametop that it might get refinned.

Also, my brand-new R7 was lighter than the (also brand-new) R8 I tried, and just a little heavier than the R9.

bobeau

johnspeck said:
FWIW, my R7 is both. It has the standard Goldtop, but looking closely, you can see the flame underneath. The control cavity shows the maple top has great flames. I've seen another on the LPF that is so obviously a flametop that it might get refinned.
Mine too, wild flame in the control cavity and I can just barely make out the flame thru the finish, has a center seam, etc.

I love the goldtop though - I mean I've always wanted a goldtop more than anything. I hope my finish fades into the wood like that one on the LPF so it's a Goldburst, lol.

Trending Topics