1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

R8 tuning issues - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MikeMcK, May 16, 2011.

1. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I thought I was done with Les Pauls a long time ago, but over the last few years I've played a couple of Historics and decided I wanted one.

I found this: [​IMG] 1998 R8 originally shipped to Yamano. I spent time checking it out, but...

I've noticed a little instability in the tuning. I blamed new strings, but I have about 10 hours of time on them. The previous owner used the same guage strings, so I'm not thinking it's the nut. I intonated it myself but I've been doing that for years (mostly Hamers) with no issues. Any ideas?

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Most likely the nut is binding or the strings aren't wound properly. Do you hear any pinging when tuning?

3. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Yes that is most often the reason. A good setup and proper restring will most likely fix any tuning problems you are experiencing.

4. MikeMcK

Hmmm... I know the pinging well from when I first move from .010's to .011's and all my guitars needed nut filing. The seller had .011's on it too (though I did replace strings and intonate). I probably change a set of strings a week and can't remember the last time a string slipped.

Thanks, though.

5. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

You got sticky nuts

6. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Can you be a bit more specific? Are all the strings giving you trouble, or just one in particular?

7. MikeMcK

Good question: all of them. I have to tune up the same way I did when I used trems... the more I adjust a low string the further out the high strings go and vice versa.

8. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Humm......that doesn't sound like the Nut. I'd be concerned that something is Tweaking under string tension. Is the bridge solid? What about the Tail Piece?

Is there any way to place a Flat Edge on the neck when you sting the guitar up?

Any way to gauge if the Bridge or Tail Piece is moving at all?

Are the bushings fit snug into the headstock? This is really a curious situation...

9. MikeMcK

I think this one's going to be looked at by an expert, but thanks for the replies.

10. wes37

wes37 Supporting Member

Les Paul tip...after tning a string to pitch, lift the string out of the nut a little and then set it back and check the tuning. Keep adjusting til it's in tune. Repeat as needed after tuning all strings.

The peg head angle often pinches the string into the nut.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I stretch the strings on my LP every time I tune. It stays in tune all night, but you have to stretch while you tune and keep stretching till it stays in tune.

12. wes37

wes37 Supporting Member

And you might want to top wrap your strings....lowers the tension between the tailpiece and bridge.

13. MikeMcK

Thanks guys. I should have been a little more clear at first... it's my first LP in many years, but have had a half-dozen Hamers (same scale, headstock pitch, bridge types) for many years.

Could just be the nut after all. I'll let someone smarter than me figure it out. :)

14. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Any temperature swings? Is it in a cold(ish) area and your hands warm the strings/neck up? I have had this happen on all types of guitars.

15. sarge40

sarge40 Member

Put a bit of pencil graphite in the nut slots. Helps with pinging nuts.

16. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Is the truss rod loose?

17. Aran

Aran Member

/this

You might also want to try some Big Ben's Nut Sauce or graphite, although that can stain your nut which is why I went with Big Ben's. One other area is the tuners too. Some of them Reissue tuners are kind of crap from year to year.