Rabin not Anderson (more Yes content)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by slopeshoulder, Jun 24, 2009.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Yep...
    I mean, take a look at Jethro Tull.

Same revolving door of great players.

Same great oeurve, start to current, IMO.

And, back to Yes, any love for Peter Banks?

s.
    j

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I thought I remember reading somewhere that when Jon first showed up to their rehearsals Trevor was like WTF is this guy? He didn't recognize him until he started singing. Could this possibly be true? If so, it's hilarious! :D

-Austin

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Sounds apocryphal. I mean, c'mon...

4. Xabiche

Xabiche Member

Feh. 90125 is a fantastic album as-is.

Why so butt-hurt over what others choose to do?

5. shredhead7

shredhead7 Member

Changes is Yes' best song and it isn't because of Anderson's bridge (although the contrast in vocals is pretty cool).

6. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I judge an album by how it sounds and not by who happens to have played on it;)

I dug all the Rabin era stuff, but then again Rabin is one of my fav guitarists/composers!

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

A wee bit OT-
    Early Yes has been credited with filling music colleges everywhere.
    Perhaps the most influential band ever, at least, in making 'rock' musicians look at their craft and songwritng potential.

8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i guess i am in the minority. while i do indeed LOVE steve howe, and the 70s YES as much as anyone. -- 90125 was an EPIC album, and i liked Rabin's guitar playing BETTER. and his vocals. and his songwriting. and his production skills......

9. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

Right on:rockin:rockin:rockin

10. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I have to say that though Rabin was certainly strong enough to carry the whole thing himself, that moment with the contrasting vocals is an absolutely shiver-inducing point in the song.

That song blew me away the first time I heard it, and that moment in the tune still gives me the chills to this day.

11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Cinema was Squire's side project... he was also working with Anderson on a Yes reunion tour without a supporting album. There was numerous issues surrounding Howe's availability as well as Bruford's versue White. In the end, they had already laid down several "Cinema" tracks... so they just added Anderson's voice to several of Rabin's songs (those are the ones with both of them singing lead). Did it save Yes in the long run? I doubt it, but did it catapult the band into #1 status for future tours etc? I would say so.

BTW... I'm a huge fan of the band and I've seen 12 Yes concerts, which is almost every tour since the 90215 release. Oh yeah, a bit of trivia... where did the name 90215 come from? It was the catalogue number of the release...so they just used it.

12. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

100% with you.....that song still gives me chills:

live at Hollywood Sportatorium:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSVsl3hQ46Q

13. Bren

Bren Member

I think he did a fine job on the first two albums, and his dismissal had more to do with diverging interests rather than his playing ability. (Banks wasn't keen on the extra orchestration of Time and a Word, while the two kingpins were.) His standout moment is probably that "Astral Traveller" solo, which even Howe has praised.

----
    www.jazzshelf.org

14. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Ummmm ..... 1968 (67?) to early 2000s was definitely a long run ... even with all the weird twists and what not. It's only in the last few years that their albums have started to disappear from the Best Buys and other CD stores ... but then the CD stores are disappearing, too.

I would love to have seen them put out a few more truly great albums and tours, but it seems like Jon Anderson's health has as much to do with their rather recent fade than anything else.

There's a DVD of them performing at Montreaux in 2003 or so and they are just great in that one IMHO.

My YES faves are the 70s classics, but I love the Trevor Rabin era as well ...

I'm probably a little different in that my favorite of the "classic" albums" is Going for the One and my favorite Rabin album is Big Generator.

I'm also a Buggles fan so I really enjoy Drama.

But I'm weird that way ... I even liked Tormato. :facepalm

:banana

15. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Yup.................(Looks at gooseflesh on arm), there it is again. :eek:

Sometime after 90125 came out I saw a full-length Yes concert on TV. I had only heard the hits on the radio at that point and was astounded at how great Rabin was. He was totally on fire on his extended guitar solos.

Not only was he a fabulous lead singer whose guitar chops rivaled pretty much any of the shredders of that time, but also a great songwriter who could really write a signature riff.

Owner of a Lonely Heart, Changes, Love Will Find a Way, all great signature guitar parts.

16. steve39stripes

steve39stripes 39 Stripes

Had to chime in on this one. I loved Steve Howe Yes as a kid when everyone was listening to newer stuff, but 90125 is by far the most influential CD for me hands down. If I was on a deserted island and could only have one CD this would be it (not sure how I would power CD player, but you know what I mean. LOL!). I have bought probably 15 different versions and formats of 90125 over the years. Trevor did such amazing things in the mix and the vocals between him, Anderson, and Squire are unbeatable. After hearing these songs thousands of times I can still hear fresh things in the mix and wonder how I could have missed them. Always refreshing to me and the "Leave It" "A Capella" version still makes the hairs on my neck stand up. Love "Big Generator too!

Got to hang with most of them a few years ago and was a blast!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  17. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

90125 left a BIG impression on me no doubt about that!

18. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

That's what I was saying... they already had a long long run. A post earlier put that question forth and I was rebuffing it (sort of).

I'm a HUGE Yes fan... love ALL their stuff. I actually enjoyed the Union Tour. Best of both worlds!!!

19. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

I've been a Yes fanatic for thirty years, read all the bios & countless interviews. I've never heard any mention of that scenario.
    The issue with Howe's availability would've been Asia. Bruford was very happily in Crimson and (to quote an Asia song), Never in a Million Years would he have gone back to Yes at that point.

Cinema was no "side project"! And it was almost completely Rabin's baby. Listen to his archival release, 90124, and you can see how fully-formed most of those tracks were as his solo demos.

I was in shock when 90125 came out, but still saw them a couple of times on that tour and, eventually, realized what a masterpiece it was.

Despite all the Yes alumni involved, there is very little that connects it to all previous Yes albums, (the awesome Dramaincluded) because they were always developed in a rehearsal room, with all five members shaping the music and elevating sometimes simplistic songs with their idiosyncratic alchemy. 90125 is largely more like the work of an excellent singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist, with some modern-edged prog-elements overlaid (like Anderson's voice!) to give it some continuity with all the preceding Yes albums, which were the result of a radically different process. The group being called "Yes" was purely a marketing move, just as Anderson,Bruford, Wakeman, & Howe suddenly became "Yes" again (much to some of their chagrin-Bruford's especially), courtesy of Arista records and the Union album. And read the credits. You'll see the army of session players that producer/uber-douchebag Jonathan Elias enlisted to replace Howe, Bruford, and Wakeman behind their backs. Guitarist Jimmy Haun (clearly a Howe disciple) apes his style so convincingly that I'd defy even the most ardent Howe fan to identify who's who. What a shocking lack of respect from an egomaniacal producer (Then again, on Talk, Rabin laid down plenty of bass parts, without Squire's knowledge, in the interest of expediency!)!

Let's just hope that Anderson recovers enough to rejoin them (he's already begun small-scale solo touring). Too bad that they don't seem to care for Moraz. Now, that's be a lineup. Or Downes. Anything other than the rather gimmicky inclusion of Rick Wakeman's son (who hadn't even listened to Relayer, for instance, because Daddy wasn't on it- he's admitted to actually being more of a Styx fan).

While no Beach Boys, they're still one of the best tragicomic soap operas in rock. Long may they confound us!

20. isfahani

isfahani Member

Certainly. Even though I was a Yes fan through the radio, I didn't pay too much attention to who was in the band until I really started playing bass. So I was surprised to learn that there was, in fact, a different singer on Drama - I wasn't paying too much attention to the singing but the music... Imagine that!

I was also one of the few punk rockers at the time (early 80's) that would own up publicly to loving Yes and Rush and Zep. I never got into the cult of Jon Anderson, I never really understood the big deal, and now it's 30 years later and I can still listen to Drama all the way thru... But I can't say the same about the two LP's previous to that.

I would also like to remind Steve Howe that there was very good group called Yes before he joined up with them, they had a very interesting guitar player named Peter Banks. Time and A Word is still in my 'top 5 Yes Albums of all time" whereas the Yes Album isn't...

Like the OP it's long been my opinion that they should have never gotten Anderson back in. I don't really see the point in speculating one way or another what would have happened after that with any of the bands.