Race To The "Bottom". 18" Powered Subs <$600. Do not want to save for a better one !

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Baminated, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

I play mostly bars now in which they want to one night me to death, and not share fairly in the spoils of their $10K-$15K till (confirmed to be true). Therefore, they are making it impossible for me to afford a QSC rig, or gear in that comparable range.

If they guaranteed a bunch of future bookings, didn't cancel, and upped the pay in exchange for us keeping the crowd, I would be able to develop a plan to get better gear.

Don't want to spend more than 6 bills, so I have settled on getting the following, the Behringer B1800D or the Carvin LS800.

Please no, "just save up for something better" - i need something quick, new w/warranty, and really could care less about stellar, out of this world, miracle sound quality. I'm not doing gigs for audiophiles , or live sound gurus. If the venues don't want to pay for great quality, then they won't get it, it's that simple.

Mainly trio & quartet work playing variety of covers, Top 40, Dance, Rock, Hard Rock, Reggae, Pop

Bass , Drums, Guitar, sometimes keys filling in for bassist

Venues are mid sized, but have their ambient speakers we feed into through the board

Soooo, these are the two I am looking at:
    Carvin LS1801A

& Behringer EUROLIVE B1800D-PRO

The max SPL is 127 db for both (not on carvins site, had to call)
    I'm leaning towards the Carvin, but is 700W program/1400 peak enough ?

I plan on using it for the kick mainly, and just a little bleed for the bass, because the bass is going into the board for the ambient mixes

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. SteveO

SteveO Member

I would choose the Carvin over Behringer any day of the week.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Having had warranty work performed by both companies... Carvin! By a loooooong shot.

4. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

You're not not going to get stellar with any music store powered sub. You're also not going to get meaningful specs. You need to listen to them To hear what they're actually capable of. That being said, out of those two, without hearing either one, I would just go with the Carvin as it's less likely to break. Behringer is garbage equipment. Disposable sound.

5. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

please just keep saving... (sorry, it's the audio engineer in me).
    how about something used? you are asking an awful lot....think about it...you want an 18" speaker in a cabinet with an amplifier. $600 won't even buy 1/2 of a decent pro quality amplifier. that being said, you can buy junk (ie. Behringer, B-52, etc..), or you might be able to find a used pair of MPro JBL subs or something along those lines. the thought of it hurts my head, though. i wish it was the kind of thing that you could save up, or take a loan out, and buy something decent.

6. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

oh, and pay no attention whatsoever about the specs on low end/consumer gear. they are just numbers and mean absolutely nothing. really.

7. Baminated

Baminated Member

I appreciate the input by all, thanks much. My overall strategy is that this bar basher gear will eventually be a "B" rig for when I get a better system, or a rehearsal room PA, etc . . I can only work within my means. Do I want my current ghetto setup to be like this the rest of my meager career ? no, I do not, but i gotta get something good to go now unfortunately.
    Good quality powered 18's are just not coming up used on CL or ebay, and I am tired of waiting :-(

8. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

how about a passive sub and an amp?
    you actually might be better off going this route since there will be a lot more available on the used market.

9. Seektone

Seektone Member

Anyone think the EV elx118p would fit the bill? I'm thinking of getting one of these myself.

10. Baminated

Baminated Member

11. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Now you're on the right path. I started with a couple B#*#$*er's 10 years ago. With careful placement, 1/2 hour of eq tweaking and useing the aux fed method, I was able to get them to sound like wet beer farts under a blanket.

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Me too, but I'd look for something used first.

I've never heard one, but I've heard Proel makes a great sub for the money. This one is 15", but I wouldn't let that scare you. I use 15" Yorkvilles and they sound great. A good 15" will serve you better than a lackluster 18"

http://www.proaudiostar.com/proel-flash-15sa.html

13. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

14. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Could have gotten it new for that.

15. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

That is absolutely not true. The powered Yorkville subs crush.

I wouldn't buy either one of those subs. To the OP save your money. The QSC's aren't even very good unless you are doing dj stuff or very small rooms.

16. Baminated

Baminated Member

I saw all the new ones for 750 ish to 800 ???

17. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

MAP Pricing. Pick up the phone.

18. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I just bought a used cabinet from Music123 yesterday. They came down about 20% on the phone from their eBay price. Oh well, it's done now and still wasn't too bad a deal.

19. Baminated

Baminated Member

ahhh **** - new to the pro audio game - that's right - they can't advertise lower on the web. Either way, EV's can take serious punishment - been using them for years -