Rack Delay recommendations

Marioverkill

Silver Supporting Member
Strymon Timeline has analog dry . It also has a level boost function you could use for solos if you are not setup with a boost yet. The best way to keep delays " out of the way ' is to to use a Ducking Delay( Strymon has this) . You can adjust the level of the delay to lower while you are playing and then swells up when you are not playing or in the empty spaces.

littleb

Silver Supporting Member
If you go for total sound preserveration,you can't beat a mixer.Thats what Bob b,Rjm,and other builders know best.
If you're running thru just 1 mere pedal like a timeline or flashback 4( dry thru in this one?) You'd be fine.
Now,having said that I believe it was from 89- 95' I ran my quad preamp straight into my tc 2290 out to my 295 to speakers.I bought the 2290s foot controller,but I did use a mesa abacus too.worked perfect..lead boosts and all.This worked great for the shred, racer x,type thing I was in then....anyways,that was a long time ago

ctreitzell

How about programming it with MIDI to bypass it ?? it's easy? hard?
I don't have an H9, yet know plenty about midi...
remote controlling any parameter or group of parameters, which is midi control-able via the manufacturer's design, is as "easy" as applying commands to a button/knob/fader/switch which is designed to send midi commands...which is very easy once you learn to jump thru the hoops of applying those commands.

General MIDI is decimal numbers, so that is quite easy.
SysEx MIDI is hexadecimal which is more challenging.
Control Voltage is a thing, too...

Acquisition of a capable midi footcontroller and however you need to power the controller and also which method to feed the MIDI info to the devices you want to control is another research topic and shopping trip(s). Whether you opt for 3pin DIN and power supplies all the way up to MIDI over multi-pin XLR with cables with phantom power or go wireless requires some research for you to choose the system which works best for you :)

H9 is a pedal...couldn't you just push buttons on the H9? Or would you prefer to rack the H9? I suppose longer audio cable runs could be detrimental to tone?

you could use wireless midi over bluetooth...

jb4674

Eventide H9 or TimeFactor should do the trick. Looking at a rack delay unit is overkill, especially if you’re only going to use minimal delay.

looper309

Gold Supporting Member
I'd probably try something like tuner>phaser>Timeline>rack preamp. The Timeline gives you tons of delay options, many with modulation, pitch and reverb.
Put a Timeline on a shelf or board along with a Morningstar MC6 midi controller. Imagine having your 6 most used delays labeled with their own instant access switches. Plus capacity to add looper switches, line up banks for song sets. Simple, series, scalable.
For delay trails when switching, the Timeline uses a buffered output, so there should should be a clear, strong signal going into "front of amp".

pfrischmann

Gold Supporting Member
Hello everybody, this is my first thread here, I hope one among many in the upcoming future.

The main reason why I'm writing this is because I am seeking for advice regarding a near future purchase of a rack delay.

My rig is based on the concept "less is more" so yes, I have the next stuff...

Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp IIC+ modded.
Mesa Boogie Simul Stereo 295.

I have a "pedalboard" with just a Polytune 3 mini and an Mxr phase 90, nothing else.

I am thinking about adding a delay into the equation, just to give some "space" and thickness to solos... ok but the thing is.... I usually play very fast thrash/death Slayeresque kind of solos (yes..I know what you are thinking) so the amount of effect I would want to add is very tiny... (am I right?)

So..all in all... I would be looking for some rack delay equipment, with a very set it and forget it philosophy... you would rarely find me tweaking it, also, I don't need any other effect, no reverb flanger chorus etc...

Any help on this ??

Enormous thanks in advance.
Do you want just one delay time (say 400ms) or two times (250ms in the left 500ms in the right)? with that true stereo or mono?

Here's what I would say. Series will affect your tone the most. If your amp can run a parallel loop, do that. With a minimalist approach, I'd personally suggest the Roland SDE 1000,2000,3000 units. or the Yamaha d-1500's. The Rolands are my favorite and built like tanks. You can get the SDE-1000 or 2000's very cheaply. They do not store presets but it sounds like you don't use presets. Nothing sounds as good as the non DSP delays. IMHO of course. Because they are not very hifi, they basically have built in ducking.

Last edited:

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
With a minimalist approach, I'd personally suggest the Roland SDE 1000,2000,3000 units. or the Yamaha d-1500's. The Rolands are my favorite and built like tanks. You can get the SDE-1000 or 2000's very cheaply. They do not store presets but it sounds like you don't use presets. Nothing sounds as good as the non DSP delays. IMHO of course. Because they are not very hifi, they basically have built in ducking.

Just for the sake of accuracy, the SDE1000, 2500 & 3000 do store presets; only the 2500 has built in MIDI though.
Simple custom MIDI control boxes can be used to add MIDI capabilities to the 1000 & 3000 for preset recall if you need that.

dave86Shred

Do you want just one delay time (say 400ms) or two times (250ms in the left 500ms in the right)? with that true stereo or mono?

Here's what I would say. Series will affect your tone the most. If your amp can run a parallel loop, do that. With a minimalist approach, I'd personally suggest the Roland SDE 1000,2000,3000 units. or the Yamaha d-1500's. The Rolands are my favorite and built like tanks. You can get the SDE-1000 or 2000's very cheaply. They do not store presets but it sounds like you don't use presets. Nothing sounds as good as the non DSP delays. IMHO of course. Because they are not very hifi, they basically have built in ducking.

Oh it would be mono, I guess I have enough with 200ms, mostly there would be always fast parts..

I had a ROLAND SDE 3000 in the past which I reeeeeeeeeeeeally regret selling...maybe retaking it back seems my real option here... isn't it?

MarcoR

As a long time rack user with very complex routings, midi control and all the things we talk about in this forum I will tell you... If you're not a rack guy, and want simple, sounds amazing and analog dry through, save yourself all the headache and simply get a Source Audio Collider. Glorious delay and reverb!

HellraiserJohnny

"How do you define. . Real"? - Morpheus
Gold Supporting Member
I built a rack rig for shows and rehearsals and I use Lexicon MPX 1, Rocktron Intellifex and a Yamaha SPX 90. I run the rig W\D through a modified 2X12" cab or a Stereo JCM 900 - 1960 B cab. There are not many tones I can't get and I can even do circular delays.

Eike

I think a Lexicon MPX G2 could be a nice addition to your rig. It has an analog dry path, and an analog gain stage.
Even if you do not plan on using the other fx you would have them available as well an analog gain section for tube screamer etc.

Besides that you could also get a midi controllable delay Pedal. I.e. Strymon, Eventide and Free the Tone.
For as simple as possible I like the Eventide Rose, which also has an analog dry path.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom