Rack Delay Recommendations

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Aruntang, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Hi guys, I have a CAA OD-100 Classic coming in and I am looking for a great rack delay to use in it's loop. I am looking right now to spend around $750 to $800 max, so I would probably be looking at used pieces.

I have the Lexicon PCM-41 and PCM-42 in mind but don't know what the differences between the two of them are. TC-2290 is out of my range at the moment. I just want a musical, lush sounding delay. I would like it to be fairly easy to use as I am likely to use a few different settings depending on the gig requirements.

Any recommendations?

So far....
    Lexicon PCM-42
    Lexicon PCM-41
    Lexicon MPX-1

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Roland SDe-9000 or mxr 1500... two of the cleanest rack delays ever made. If you want something slightly more guitar-oriented (i.e. less squeaky hi-fi) i would look into chandler's rack delay. they can be had on the cheap as well.

3. MrSage

MrSage Member

I love my TC D-Two delay. It's a 2290 on a budget.

4. simeon

simeon Member

yeah, +1 for the D-Two!

buy two!

5. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Thanks guys! I am looking at the D-Two at the moment.

What do y'all think about the Lexicon MPX-1? I like the idea of having reverb and delay in the same unit.

6. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

For that price you can get a used GForce. Its real easy to use.From what I've read, The MPX is a bit difficult to program and has patch lag.

7. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Look around for a used Line 6 Echo Pro, they go for around $500-$600 if you can find...it's a tremendous unit for the money and it's extremely user-friendly. Seen in a lot of professional guitar rack systems.

The D-Two is a great piece based on the TC 2290, very pristine delay sound, goes new for around $500.

Symetrix 606 Delay...very hard to find but well worth it. Sounds amazing!

My choice would be to get an Eventide Timefactor($400)and put it on a rack tray. Top notch delay sounds, very easy to program, has MIDI, and it also has a great Looper/Recorder. Eventide also has the best customer service out there.

8. les

les Gold Supporting Member

I have an MPX-1, which is a great unit. Reverb, chorus and delay are unbelievable!

The only complaint is that it is a bitch to program.

9. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Does the manual walk you through the basics of programming the unit?

10. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Find an old Lexicon PCM series

11. riker4208

riker4208 Member

Another for the TC D-two. These go for 200 to $300 used. The presets are killer for guitar too. People are going to "discover" this one.

12. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Get a used PCM80. You can find them used for 700 and you'll have a great reverb unit too.

13. guitbeef

guitbeef Member

My vote is for a used Rocktron Multivalve. Has internal mixing to preserve analog signal, so it it won't convert all your signal to digital (unless you choose to). The rotary in it is also great IMHO.

14. Deaj

Deaj Member

Is your CAA's effects loop parallel or series?

15. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

+1 on both points. Patch lag and a cast iron bitch to program, although there are some PC editors to be found online that help. But the patch lag is a deal killer for guitar use, IMO.

16. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

I've got the Replifex, which is the same unit without a tube in it. I've been using it for years and I like it.

17. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I've always wanted a G-Force...not enough money though. From what little time I've spent at hugeracksinc I'd say that the G-Force and PCM80 would be great. The Eventide Timefactor would be great if you would rather spend less though, from what everyone on here says.

18. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

+3 on the MPX-1. Nice unit, but takes a lot of needless brain drain IMO to program/tweek it, and I thought the lag between patches was really bad (like over one second, IIRC)

19. pala

pala Member

I really like my PCM41 in my amp loop and my PCM70 pan delays and circular delays are amazing in my stereo rig.

20. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Thanks guys! I believe the amp has a serial loop, and you can buy the Suhr minimixer if you want to use as a Parallel loop. I'll check out the G-Force for sure.