rack gear... anything else out there?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eleanor296, Aug 28, 2008.

1. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

Well....I'm looking to get a small rack for the effects loop of my channel switcher. I need midi-capability to switch fx with channels.
    Basically I just want some reverbs and delay (tapable). But what's out there either doesn't seem to be up to snuff audio-quality wise (Lexicon MS200 I think is what I was looking at) or seems rather flimsy from what I've read (G-Sharp).
    Only other option right now is the G-Major.... anybody got experience with that unit?

Or, even better, anybody has suggestions as to what else is out there? Cause I can't really find anything with the major retailers. Google wasn't a great help either so far.

Thanks!
    ~Andy

2. IvIark

IvIark Member

The G-Major would be great though if you want to switch amp channels as well because of the built in relay control. One thing about the G-Major (and all TC rack products afaik) is that it doesn't sound at its best unless you use both left and right outputs. If you go mono in / mono out you lose half the effect field and so some sort of mini mixer or at the very least a y-cable will make a big difference to the final sound.

3. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

ah, thanks for that!
    Yeah... guess the G-Major would be pretty cool, though I'll only need reverb and delay.
    My amp does MIDI so I'm not worried about that.

4. IvIark

IvIark Member

The M-One is pretty good as well. Lots of reverb options and up to 4 simultaneous 5 second max delays so it offers quite a bit more than the G-Major and you'll probably find one cheaper. It has lots of other effects too so it may be worth looking out for.

5. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

It really depends on how flexible you want to be, how many presets you think you will use, and how much you want to spend.

Here are a couple of things:

The TC G Major is a great entry level effects unit. It offers a number of modulation effects (chorus, phaser, flange, vibe), good delays and reverb. I think it sounds and works good in a mono rig. A little fragile and the jog wheel has a tendency to break but I had one for 3 years with no issues. They can be found for about 300.00.

The TC G Force is the older but bigger brother of the G Major and has superior effects (including pitch modulation), lower noise and an easier guitar oriented interface imho. It is used in a number or pro rigs and by everyone from Andy Timmons to Steve Vai. They are selling between 800-900.00 but I can hear the difference.

The Lexicon MPX-1 has great reverb and delays but has a noticable lag during preset changes. This can be addressed with a mixer if necessary.
    A little difficult to program but worth the extra effort. They can be found for about 300.00.

I hope this helps.

Matt

6. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

I like the Lexicon... I really don't want the lag though. hmmmm... don't really want to shell out the bucks for the G-Force... seems a little overkill. Thanks though, Matt!

Anybody else?