Rack Gear Cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bilbal, Mar 1, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

So I have recently switched back to a rack rig after buying a Triaxis and a 2:90 power amp. This afternoon, I realized how a bad cable (not broken just over-used and weak) can screw things up. I am wondering what the best cables would be to outfit my entire rack.

thanks,
    Bill

2. PRSkeeto

PRSkeeto Member

Roll your own. Seriously. It's easy. Even if you've never soldered, it only takes a few tries to learn.

It's the best way to keep a rack tidy and minimize any noise issues. Get some Mogami cable and Switchcraft ends and have at it. For power cords, cut them to proper length and replace the ends.

3. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Also, you may want to route your audio cables on one side of the rack and your power & MIDI cables on the other. In my experience that helps to cut down on RF noise quite a bit.

4. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

+1. I started with Mark's Mini Lava ELC cable kit (with no soldering experience), and now I can make cables out of pretty much anything. Takes no time at all to learn, and in the long run it'll probably save you a ton of time, money, and hassle.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Mogami will do a good job. But the recommendation to check with Lavacable/aka Lavaman is definitely good advice, he knows his cable.\

TheGrooveking