Rack Gear Cases

fenderbender4

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm completely new to the world of rack gear but am looking at getting a multi-space rack for some rack gear and drawers for pedals. Should I opt for something like Calzone or Anvil? Others that people would recommend? How much do things like that even cost? Thinking of something like a 12-16U size.

OilsFan

Silver Supporting Member
Cost is all related to how much protection you want/need. If you're just gigging locally occasionally you could get by with a cheap carpeted rack if you wanted. After that on the expense scale would be a regular road case or SKB type case. Then for the most protection/money would be shock mounted SKB type or touring type case with foam insulation inside. You're talking a few hundred to a grand for the case depending on how nice it is.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure if the larger, plastic SKB cases are like the smaller ones. But, the four space one has one really bad problem with it. It has a lip where the molding is flanged so you can clip the back cover on. This flange makes it so that the only way you can get any cables into it is using 90 degree ones. Which is a real PITA!

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
I have really liked what I have gotten from Roadcases USA actually. U have a 2 space rack and large pedalboard case. Prices are reasonable.

c diddy 5000

Check out audiopile.net. Good quality, reasonably priced cases in various configurations. SKB never did well for me. I hated the plastic exterior. Always bent and flexed too much for my taste. The aforementioned site also has reasonably priced sliding shelves. Check it out and compare to the crazy overpriced stuff out there on the net. Weight and overall size do need to be taken into consideration tho. You really need to find a balance between what you will need, future growth, and what you can transport.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Years ago, I gigged with a rack rig. Had a total of 8 rack spaces worth of gear. Thought I'd be smart and buy a 12 space rack...that would give me some growing room and/or some ventilation space. I was playing in two bands, each with a separate practice space. I kept a 4x12 cab at each space, and planned to transport the rack back and forth. Great plan, right? Well, it didn't take long to realize it was a total pain in the ass to lug around. So I ended up buying an 6 space and a 4 space rack, and split the gear between the two. Made it a lot easier to carry them in two trips.

So, the moral of my story is to think carefully about how big of a rack you buy, especially if you plan to gig with it and you'll be the one carrying it.

Meriphew

I have a (pink) 27 space Anvil rack that's loaded with synth modules, sequencers, and drum machines. It has 3 or 4 (Middle Atlantic) sliding drawers in it. The whole case is extremely heavy, unless you have a couple roadies to help. I bought the case off of one of the engineers who had purchased it for transporting some of the gear used to record RHCP "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" album.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
I'm completely new to the world of rack gear but am looking at getting a multi-space rack for some rack gear and drawers for pedals. Should I opt for something like Calzone or Anvil? Others that people would recommend? How much do things like that even cost? Thinking of something like a 12-16U size.
Depends on your situation:
1. Are you planning to gig with it?
2. Do you have roadies?
3. How is your gear transported?

Racks get very heavy very quickly, especially with pedal shelves. I gigged an 8-space shock mount and that was about the most I could safely lift by myself. If I did it again, I'd split it into two racks with a multipin cable to connect them.

fenderbender4

Platinum Supporting Member
Cool. Yeah, I'm rethinking the size as I'd be moving it myself. Probably 2 X 6U cases. Ideally the most protection. Not going on gigs that require flying but want something that can handle any potential "extreme" circumstantial abuse.

Trending Topics