Rack Gear Users - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bilbal, Feb 29, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

Hey guys and gals, I recently made the transition back to a rack rig upon the purchase of my Mesa Boogie Triaxis and 2:90 power amp and I need a little help. Today I received my equalizer. My question is this: where should I put it in line with my other pieces? I have the Triaxis and 2:90 as mentioned and a BBE Sonic Maximizer and lastly the EQ. I have yet to buy my FX unit or a compressor. With that in mind how should the pieces be put in order? I'm assuming the BBE is last before the power amp - correct? Right now I have the eq after the Triaxis but before the BBE. Should I be eq'ing the guitar (put the eq first after my guitar) or should I have the eq after the Triaxis the way I have it now?

Thanks. Any help and maybe the chain you all use would be a great help.

Bill

2. nnajar

nnajar Member

does the triaxis have a switchable series effect loop? But my first question should be, why do you feel you need an external eq? the tri offers a lot of tone shaping on its own. you might even be better served to put the eq before the triaxis input, but the depends on what kind of gain you're using and what sounds you're going for. for clean sounds the eq before the input would be more effective.

and ditch the bbe. seriously.

N

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

The Triaxis has an effects loop: 2 return, 1 send. I don't know how to hook the eq up to it that way. Ditch the BBE? I use it because it really accentuates the lows but I am definitely willing to listen to reason. I have been away from rack stuff for some time and I'm not getting it back as quickly as I thought I would.

edit: changed effects loop verbage

4. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey bilbal,

I would not use the BBE Sonic Maximizer at all. I don't like what it does to the tone of the preamp or power amp. I would hook up the voicing jacks (half drive, deep, & modern) to the Triaxis preamp switching systems to alter the voicing of the power amp. You'll get more natural bottom end from your guitar rig. All it takes is just a few patch cords and some programming to be able to utilize the 2:90 voicing on the power amp.

Guitar George

5. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

The BBE should not be needed if you have EQ (for the most part).
    Include the EQ in your Triaxis' loop and experiment, and have an impartial soundman or musician you trust listening as well. IMHO: find your tone/sound before you amplify it (hint, hint).

6. devbro

devbro Member

I used aTriaxis /2:90 for years and I would also recommend you ditch both the EQ and BBE - you don't need them. As suggested, hook up the voicing jacks to the 2:90 the deep mod is really fat.

When you get an effects processor, don't use the loop - it can be noisy when it's engaged and it's slower. Come out of your Triaxis in mono, into your effects and come out of your effects in stereo to the 2:90. You can also place a volume pedal between the Triaxis and processor to act as a quasi-master volume. It makes no difference in sound compared to using the loop.

Here's a hot tip: If you get a decent processor, you can control volume using midi CC messages and not send your signal through the volume pedal at all. Many processors allow you to control effect blocks and volume using midi CC. All you need is an expression pedal. This way the processor acts like the master volume and your tone is left intact.
    :dude

7. photios

photios Member

sorry, nothing to add to help your technical question...I'm just glad to see another rack user...maybe racks will make a comeback? Congrats on your new rig...the power and flexibility of a rack over a head has me seriously addicted to my rack rig right now...I havent used my heads for a gig in months now.

8. bilbal

bilbal Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess I approach my rack the same way I did my other rigs by having too much when less is always more. As soon as I get my 2:90 back from repairs, I'm gonna redo the whole thing and get rid of anything that is not essential to my tone.

thanks again
    b

9. PRSkeeto

PRSkeeto Member

I have to agree with the others: lose the EQ and BBE, between the onboard EQ, Dynamic Voice and voicing switches on the 2:90 you'll be more than fine. Skip the loop too. I'm not even sure why they put one in. The fx should go between the preamp and power amp anyway.

10. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    If you are going to use the BBE, it should go before any delay or reverb, so preamp, then BBE then effects. As to if you should use it or not, play through it and make the decision. Some people like them some don't, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes, don't let others words impact your likes and dislikes.

TheGrooveking

11. jspax7

jspax7 Member

That's how I ran mine. Your FX out level can be used as a global preamp master volume.

Voicing switches add to the versatility.

BTW, did you mention what FX processor you plan to use with this? And what style of music?

I used mine for Country, and Classic Rock. Very versatile unit.

Less is more. Lose the BBE, and EQ.

12. bilbal

bilbal Member

I haven't decided on a multi-fx unit yet. I would love to get into a top shelf piece like finding a 2290 or an Eventide or something of that quality. However, funds dictate that I will more likely be looking at one of the more moderately priced TC Electronic pieces. How about some suggestions now that we have opened this can of worms?

As far as the BBE goes, I'm surprised that it is not a piece held in higher regard. I really like the affect it has on my tone. It brightens what needs to be brightened and the bass explodes out of it. It is one of my favorite processors to date. Oh well...to each his own I guess.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys - I appreciate it. :BEER

Bill

13. vinney57

vinney57 Member

The BBE is a horrible, horrible thing. There really is no point in using a decent pre-amp if you are going to mangle it with a 'maximiser'. Eventide Eclipse would be the processor of choice.

14. devbro

devbro Member

If you are dead set on the BBE, do not do as previously suggsted and run it before your processor. It should be the last in the chain before the 2:90.

Regarding processors. I had a TC G-major and hated it. Extremely nasaly sounding chorus and the reverbs were average at best. If you're on a budget, the Intellifex (black face) has lush 8 voice chorus that sounds stellar in stereo and the Replifex (discontinued) has a great assortment of very analog sounding effects. I still have mine and one day if I ever go back to the rack, it will be my go-to processor. All these can be found on the used market for a few hundred bucks.

good luck......

15. bilbal

bilbal Member

How are the delays in the intellifex? In another thread I asked about the Soldano Space Box for reverb. Any thoughts?

16. devbro

devbro Member

Intellifex delays are good but the Replifex is better. If you like Chorus, get the Intellifex.

17. nnajar

nnajar Member

lexicon mpx1 is a highly useful processor for a guitar rig.

N

18. Dave L

Dave L Member

I´ve had my fair share of true rack rigs (with separate pre- and poweramps, along with plenty of outboard processing) thru the years, and I still have a rackmounted Rivera TBR head hooked up to a Rocktron Multivalve. I honestly really dig racks, and I´m gearing up to build something around a Boogie Studio preamp I´ve got coming in.

Anyway, if you don´t want to break the bank when shopping for a good effect-unit, the Rocktrons are the way to go. I´ve had a bunch of units, including all three Rocktrons and most of the affordable and semi-afffordable TC and Lexicon stuff, and the ones still with me are a Replifex and a Multivalve.