Rack mounting pedals. Need ideas please...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsm, Feb 10, 2012.

1. rsm

rsm Member

After many delays, I finally have my G-System rig how I want it. If I put everything on the floor, the footprint is huge so I decided to rack the G-System "brain" and my pedals. Trying to keep the rack as small as possible, so first up is a 2U rack with a 1U Furman and 1U GS brain.

The pedals fit on a half-deep, 19" shelf (doesn't slide) that I'm loading into the back of the rack so the pedal and brain connections are as close together as possible...problem is connecting the pedals.

If I make the patch cables long enough to take the pedals out of the rack without disconnecting, they bunch up when I put the shelf in, get twisted, take up room and hit my pedal controls; if I make patch cables short, I can't reach into the rack to connect them.

Any recommendations? Yes, I can get a 3U or bigger, 4U may let me have a sliding shelf and front mount the pedals, but I want to keep the rack rig as small as possible. Patch bay? Again, that is a bigger rack.

I'm going to keep trying the short patch cable approach, maybe tack them to the shelf so I can keep them in place when I disconnect / connect the pedals to adjust...

2. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Either you resort to a 4U rack, or snake your cable from the brain to the fixed shelf. When you make your patch cables, make them long enough so you can manipulate the effects for switching out etc. I would suggest running the cables from the brain and then running them to the right of the rack and in front of the fixed shelf and to each effect in custom lengths. Then use zip ties and zip tie cable mounts to secure the cables, but give enough slack from the cable mounts so you can remove the cables from the pedals. Yet still keeping the cables secured and neat.

3. rsm

rsm Member

Thanks! As soon as I read this, it seems so obvious that I obviously didn't think of it! :bonk Almost pulled the trigger on a 4U but thought I'd wait a day or two to see...

I have zip ties...thoughts on where may I find the zip tie cable mounts?

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Home Depot sells them along w/ zip ties.in the electrical section.

5. rsm

rsm Member

Thanks again! Got the stuff at Home Depot today.