Rack recommendations

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by campersand, Feb 24, 2006.

1. campersand

campersand Member

I have a G-System and I'm thinking of getting a rack to use with it, since my 2,000 cables running from the system to my amp kind of get in the way. Any advice as far as what and what not to get?

2. campersand

campersand Member

3. tfire

tfire Member

Maybe you haven't got any answers yet because your question is vague. What are you looking to do? Will you just put the G-System processor in a rack, or combine it with other units? If so, how many units and of what type? Is it advice about rack cases you're looking for?

4. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The Ibanez 400 series effects units are all analog, readily available on eBay, and sound like a million bucks...

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Roland GP-100.

6. campersand

campersand Member

Yeah, you're right. Let me clarify: I'm going to put the G-system and a pedal or two in the rack. I'm looking for advice on what brands/models of racks are high quality and which ones to stay away from. Thanks.

7. vinni

vinni Member

Tip:

If you put the processor in your rack you'll need a good quality but flexible CAT-5 cable.

Line6 has special high quality very flexible CAT-5 cable with the metal CAT-5 neutrik connectors. I replaced the housing with a black one! :cool:
    These cables are made for the Variax line of guitars.

Vinni

8. campersand

campersand Member

Thanks for the recommendation.

9. tfire

tfire Member

Cases

Unless you'll be doing heavy touring, you'll probably look at the mid-weight options, for which there are many suppliers. I've had good cases from discount suppliers in the US and the UK, and I've seen reasonable deals on second-hand gear on eBay.

Companies I've dealt with successfully include:
    http://www.discount-distributors.com/
    http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/index.asp

I'd avoid the moulded plastic cases. Even though some people have had success with them, I've seen damage to them and their contents that I don't think would have happened to an equivalent wood+aluminum traditional style case.

Buy an extra U or two of space, because once you get into the rack set-up you'll be quite likely to try adding another unit. If you downsize again later, you don't lose too much of the value of a case if you sell it on.

Power

A common power supply for your pedals is the Voodo lab Pedal Power II. There are others, from Burkey, for example.

A power conditioner like those from Furman and Samson will come in handy if you decide to power more than the G Sytem processor.

And if you go further...

My rack-gear journey started with a G-Major and a Boogie combo. Then it went stereo...other units got added...back to mono...preamp and power amp added...new amp in their place...other processors added...original switching system dumped and replaced by a Switchblade...changed to wet/dry/wet setup... etc, etc. It was a long and sometimes confusing journey that ended up with much better sounds than I could get before it all started. I wish you luck on your journey.

You'll find more rack-oriented advice at www.hugeracksinc.com than here. I recommend that you visit.

10. tfire

tfire Member

11. campersand

campersand Member

Wow, thanks for that comprehensive breakdown of info, tfire. That should definitely get me started.

12. campersand

campersand Member

One more question: I do plan on doing some touring. Would it be smarter to get a shock mount rack?

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Anna Nicole Smith, circa 1995

*edit* whoops, it appears I misinterpreted the thread title

14. campersand

campersand Member

ha, but seriously...
    Would it be going overboard to search out and pay extra for a shockmount rack or would it be a wise investment?