rack reverb for my amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by takis, Nov 27, 2005.

1. takis

takis Member

hi i have one bogner cab with 1 V30 speaker and one fender bandmaster head 1965 that don t have effect loop and reverb.

i was thinking to have reverb through one rack.i don t care if this rack will have other effects.basically i want only reverb.

with a small search i did for racks with reverb i found these:
    -M3000
    -Eclipse
    -PMC91
    -Lexicon LXP-1 and LXP-5
    -Ibanez SDR1000
    -G Force
    -PCM 60
    -Demeter Real Reverb
    -Guyatone FR3000V Tube Drive Reverb Unit

which rack you recomment me?
    how i ll connect this rack with my bandmaster head that don t have effect loop?

thanks a lot!
    takis:)

2. Yek

Yek Member

You get great reverbs with less expensive rack units.
    Try an Intellifex or even better Intelliverb from Rocktron.

FX loop is a bit of a problem. You can have the head modded by adding a parallel fx loop, probably expensive.

If you want the reverb to go between guitar and amp instead, don't use a rack. The Line 6 Verbzilla pedal gets good reports, as well as the Little Lanei.

3. takis

takis Member

thanks yek!
    i will try maybe the line 6 pedal ;)

4. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

The verbzilla is nice. It beats the Boss & Digitech pedals IMO. Another solution for the Bandmaster head may be to get some kind of device like a hotplate attenuator. I had an idea to go from the speaker out of the head into the hotplate, then from the line out of the hotplate into any time based effects like reverb and delay, then into some kind of power amp and then into a cab. Your OD pedals could still go infront of the amp. Most people don't like the sound of reverb or delay combined with distortion goinf into the front of an amp.

5. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Your list looks good. The Demeter is something I have wanted to try. Nice analog option. The reverb on my digital wish list is the Yamaha SPX2000. It is priced right, has been highly praised, has evolved from a long line of respected verb units, and sports 24 bit/96khz.
    The Eventide you mentioned would be great, too. I happen to believe that you actually can't spend too much on reverb. Many create space, but realistic space, and not just slight variations on the same tail effect, is not easily achieved. Convolution reverb algorithms are all the rage now. Anyway, the Yamaha comes with a cool PC/Mac editor. I downloaded it just to get a sense of the parameter controls. Nice!!!

6. takis

takis Member

..stevie:p do you mean this solution that someone else told me?

***"I prefer a line out box(THD HOTPLATE) and separate power amp for fx. That way you can run the fender "hot" straight into the V30 for the full blues tone and still get a good fx sound. This way your fx rig will not affect your dru tone in any way. "

***"get a line out box(THD HOTPLATE) and run the fx separately. Either that or just have pedals in front of the amp. If you get a line out box you just connect that between the speaker out and the V30 and send the signal from the line out to your fx into a separate poweramp and to a separate speaker(s). "

so we are speaking about W/D/W set up if i understood correctly!
    i must buy one power amp(Marshall 8008, VS120/120 or a Carvin solid state POWER AMPS etc..),and one more cab e?

7. homerayvaughan

Yes, like that. but the way I stated would not be a wet-dry setup. Not the way I was thinking anyway. It would be a way to basically use your amp as a preamp, then send the signal to a separate amp/cab. You may still be able to, but not what I was getting at.

8. threm

threm Member

Then check the coming Bricasti Design Model 7 at around 3K. Believe I heard that one of the Lexicon 480 guys are behind the Briscanti company but I could be wrong.
    http://www.bricasti.com/

If money was no issue and keeping it at 1U I would go with the Quantec Yardstick for smooth reverb.
    http://www.quantec.de/menu_e/index.shtml

More on a budget the Kurzweil Rumour gets good reports.
    Roland R880 is a sleeper, poor mans Lexicon 480. ;)

Btw. I have an Intelliverb and I think the rooms are the strength of the box, more so than the halls and plates.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Peavey Valverb is nice too...

10. takis

takis Member

thanks for the answers!
    one silly question:

can i use the thd hotplate as an effect loop without using a power amp?
    for example,i want to see if i can put the reverb rack at one input of THD and from one output of THD, to send it and the fender bandmaster head...
    i m not speaking aslo for W/D/W set up..i ll listen my tone from the bogner cab(overdrive pedals and reverb rack).

thanks
    takis:)

11. homerayvaughan

No - the guirar amp at this point would be used like a "preamp", but it's not just the amp's preamp being used - it's the whole amp. You would need a separate cab/amp. A cheap way could be a Tech 21 Power engine - has a 12" speaker and a 60 watt (I think) amp built it.

I think it would be set up like this:

guitar>amp>hotplate in>line out>reverb>power amp>cab

12. Cokemachine

Cokemachine Member

I guess the first thing to look at is what type of reverb are you after? I like to separate reverbs into 2 categories - spring and digital.

For spring reverbs, the Soldano Surf Box is tops in my books. Huge range of reverb tones on hand from splashy Dick Dale reverbs to very non-springy, smooth ambient reverbs. It has both line level and instrument level inputs, which makes it very versatile. It's no longer in production, but the Space Box is a Surf Box without the trem and vibrato effects. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper!

For digital reverbs, the Lexicon units are tough to beat. I’ve never been a fan of the TC reverbs. I'd look for a PCM-70 before stepping into a PCM-91. Don't get me wrong, the PCM-91 is awesome, but I just found the reverbs on the PCM-70 more appealing.

To take things a step further, look for a LXP-1 with the Audio Upgrades mods. These mods will get you reverbs on par with the PCM-70. I have one and it's a great little unit. The main drawback with the LXP-1 is that it needs the MRC midi controller to do any deep editing of the alorithms. The flip side to that is that I've never needed to do any type of tweaking that necessitated the MRC.

I'm selling my LXP-1 and moving on to an Eclipse. I like the Lexicon reverbs better, but I'm trying to simplify my setup by replacing my stand alone effects with a multi-effects box. I tried the TC & Lexicon multi-effects units, but found the Eventide covered most of the effects that I am replacing the best. I’m replacing my Lexicon LXP-1, PCM-41, & PCM-42 rack units, as well as my Fulltone ChoralFlange, Guyatone MD3, & Boss PS-5 on the floor with the Eclipse.

13. psykobzi

psykobzi Member

I'm in the same situation. My setup is all seted in a rack but I had only PCM70 before to get a D-TWO(delay). It sad the PCM70 can't get delay/reverb in the same time. So now, I'm curious to know what unit would be the best All in One unit. I'm not 100% satisfied with the D-Two. Can PCM 81 or 91 (or80-90) or Eventide (Eclipse??) be a best move. All my gear is set Parrallel/ noiseless. I like Tap tempo too.

PS: Switcblade 8b ready to go...

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You've got two possible solutions:
    Reverb in front of the amp-something like a tube reverb unit (Fender, Valverb, Clark, Soldano, Guyatone) or a digital pedal works well in this context. Some great guitar sounds have been made with reverb into guitar amp.

Reverb after the amp-either getting the Bandmaster modded with an effects loop (probably cost you a couple of hundred) or using the wet/dry concept.

If money isn't much of an object, the higher end Lexicon, Eventide and TC stuff is really sweet, if it is a problem the older 16 bit boxes are still pretty good sounding.

15. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Find a used lexicon lxp-1...

16. lanervoza

lanervoza Member

i support the Kurzweil Rumour, in case you wanna check it out.

17. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

I use an Alesis Nanoverb in the loop of my VHT UL for reverb. It is a small 1/3 rack space unit that gives me what I need and I just velcro it to the top of the amp. I have never run it through the front of an amp so I don't know if it would work for your situation.

18. dhs

dhs Member

If you want real springs, try the Furman RV-1 (or RV-2 if you need 2 independent reverbs or stereo). They are footswitchable and the RV-1 can be had for around $150 used. RV-2's are harder to come by. Both units have EQ.