Rack set up. The Good the Bad the Ugly. . .

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by J D Miley, Feb 10, 2012.

1. J D Miley

J D Miley Supporting Member

Hello fellow Gear pagers.

I would like to hear from others who use a loops switching system and keep most of their Fx & pedals in a rack and access them via a Midi pedal.

I am in the process of re vamping my whole set up and want to finnally get it right . Get all my signals right , get rid of as much noise as possible (Hums, Crackles. etc)
    I would like to hear from those who got it togther as well as those still de bugging their rack set up.

My 1st topic. Rack Mount power conditioners. Such as Furman. I have just a standard Furman Surge protector Rack unit.
    Questions:
    Will a full blown Power conditioner help rid me of some of the noise & hums? ( I suspect that in my small six space rack that I am picking up some cycle noise from being in close proximity of my power.
    Question 2: should I get a slightly bigger rack so I can put some distance between my loop switcher, Power , and effects ? Will this eliminate some noise ?

Note, I have a ISP Decimator to cut down some of the Hiss from my high gain pedals. I am looking to get rid of noises other than the High gain hiss. Cut the hum noise down from the sorce instead of cover it up with the Decimator.

Cables: I have George L cables and I made a batch of Mogami cables. Sound and noise wise, neither seems to be better than the other.

Which loop switcher do you use. Voodoo Lab GCX, RMJ Effects Gizmo, CAE. etc???

2. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure which Furman you have, but a power conditioner is advised. I would also plug my amps into it as well, having your rig all plugged into a conditioner will help w/ noise issues.

As for cables, I would go soldered over solderless any day. In a rack situation, if a connection goes bad, it could be a nightmare trying to find the bad connection. Well I guess that could easily apply to a pedalboard as well.

When wiring your rack, segregate your power from your audio cables. I run the power cables on the left side and the audio on the right side.

3. robcollins

robcollins Member

I've found with a rack system, there's lots of small things you can do to get hum (and hiss) down to a minimum - here's some of them

Gear choice - some things are just better than others

Placement in the rack - power units furthest away from audio switchers for example

cable choice - solderless can be perfectly good

placement of cables -audio down one side , power down the other

Isolated power -for pedals

Noise gates / suppressors - a last resort

I will PM you some details of my rig and how its wired up :)