• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Rack Wahs, what are you getting for the $$$?

PFDarkside

Now that I’ve got a baby rack going I’m exploring add-ons. The Dunlop DCR-2SR is ubiquitous... However it’s $599 new and one of the 535Q, MC-404 or Petrucci wahs will cover very nearly all the tonal options for much less.

The two obvious things I see are multiple inputs (not applicable for me, not being a touring pro) and the nice short cable runs in the rack. Am I missing anything else? Any other compelling reasons to choose a rack wah over a floor based one?

Canon

Silver Supporting Member
Routing. Especially if you are wireless or want to put a tray of pedals in the rack

rstites

Probably not for your situation. I have one in the rack and enjoy it a lot. The EQing on it goes beyond any traditional EQ I'm aware of, but honestly I just tune it in to sound like my favorite floor models. It has a built in volume control that you can run off a separate pedal, which is nice, but probably not worth the cost. The major reason for the rack wah is to get it in the rack directly from the wireless unit, and so you can run multiple footpedal feeds to it. Both of those are really only applicable on a stage though.

racks4ever

i was one of those guys who wanted to sell it because all i was thinking was to make it sound like my favorite stomp models..
then i realized 2 major things and i believe that those are the main reasons the pros use it on both road and the studio:
1) it's the less noisy wah out...the noise floor is quite low compared to stomps
2) you can tweak it to sound like any of your favorite was models plus it can do so so many more..some center frequencies, the boost and Q tweakign plus the EQ section can give you so so many wah tones for many different applications...

i would love to add that it takes all kinds of signals really well and plays really well will every amp i have try it...that is not the same with stomps..

PFDarkside

Thanks guys, pretty much what I was thinking. If all you’ve got out front is a MIDI controller and wah controller, the signal remains local to the rack.

I’m kind of curious about setups like Jerry Cantrell, he’s got 90% racked, but he still has a little board for the wah and Rotovibe our front. He’s got a buffer to drive the line but it’s interesting.

JMMP1

I love the adjustable frequency centers. With the advent of the Petrucci wah, I can have my favorite one of those on the floor, but all of the adjustments on the rack are fantastic. Plus they have built in volume control, which can be handy if you need it.

JMMP1

Can it be controlled via an expression pedal through a midi connection?
Not directly. You might be able to get some sort of device that sits between a midi connection and the controller pedal input on the rack unit, but that’s probably a LOT more trouble than it’s worth.

PFDarkside

Just curious, can the Dunlop be dialed into settings similar to a lot of the “vintage” style wahs?

Also, can you modify the sweep caps? I’ve always thought the power ranges of the 535Q were way too deep. A set from the stock .010uF to the Jimi value of .022uF would be great...

Last edited:

Trending Topics