Racking My Pedals - Axess Electronics or GCX Switchers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KennyM, Sep 28, 2005.

1. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Voodoo Lab GCX or Axess Electronics loop switchers?

Decided to put my pedals I use for recording into a rack system and was wondering what others found to sound the best. Both seem to use high quality relays so I wouldn't think audio quality would be much different. I know the included buffers might make a difference, but I don't really need those. I have buffers I already prefer.

Any opinions?

Thanks,

Kenny M.

2. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

I prefer the sound quality of the Axess switchers.

Terry

3. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

Axxess hands down, the GCX is not transparent and is prone to RF with overdrive & compressor pedals.

The GRX4 is compact and can fit on the same shelf, not mention you have selectable buffer outputs. The GCX has one buffred input and a very cheap power supply.

The axxess can run off a pedal Power or seperate Boss power supply.

The axxess has no popping or clicking in the signal chain and
    there is no tonal loss when the loop's are off. Mario is awesome to deal with and will help you out if you are in a bind.

4. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

For me, I went with the guy that invented all this stuff. Bob Bradshaw! My Bradshaw rig is by far the best gear investment I have ever made.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you need a real industrial unit, 360 systems used to build a balanced 1/4" 16X16 matrix switcher-can be used with mono or stereo pedals (no mixing build in but you can do that from outside), radio quality sound...

7. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Here's another vote for the Axess GRX4. I have two, got them last year. They get the job done and they are problem free. And yes, Mario Marino wrote the book on customer service.

However, I understand that the GRX4 is hard to get these days. Axess has very limited production of them right now.

And no, mine ain't for sale!

8. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

So I should get the GCX then? :D

I was hoping this not to be true as I already have a GCX that I bought used 5 or 6 years ago because it was such a good deal. Just never got around to using it until now.

I'm actually needing more than the 8 loops/ switches, which is why I was considering another loop switcher. I'm keeping a Pete Cornish pedal out on the pedalboard which has a buffer in it that I think sounds and feels better than the ones in the GCX or the Valvulator I have. Since I don't need the buffers in the GCX or Axess units, I thought the two would sound about the same. I guess I'll pick up one from Axess and compare.

Thanks for all the input.

Kenny M.

9. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Soundsculpture Switchblade GL is what you need. 16 loops.

Jeff