• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Rackmount Delays... need recommendations

nibus

Recently I have decided to move to a rack based setup. After seeing pictures and video of my band playing live I have realized that I am pretty much always fixated around my pedalboard because of tap dancing.

Right now I have a Timefactor that I was just going to throw in a rack and control with MIDI. What I am wondering, is if for the same amount of cash (preferrably under $500) I could end up with a better rack mount delay.

Of course if I had unlimited funds I would get a 2290, but that's just not feasible.

I've heard the D-Two is good. Is it comparable to the Timefactor? Also wondered about the Line 6 Echo Pro.

Advise appreciated.

jfromel

There is a guy here in Seattle that has a 2290 for $1300 also one on -ebay ending today for under $900 but the midi does not work.

I also really like the Korg SDD-3000, or a Roland SDE series

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
If you're running stereo, and like the BBD chip analog tone in a delay, I really dig my old Rockman Stereo echo. It still works great! But, it's only half a rack space, which is a bit of a bummer.

Ted Witcher

I had the D-Two in my rack. Used, very inexpensive. Doesn't sound like the TF, just different, but it does sound good. Sounds like the Nova Delay, actually. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the old Roland SDE series. The 2500 and 3000 are phenomenal sounding MIDI controllable delay units that cost way less than the Eventide/TC/Lexicon units, and get comparable tones.

mobis8

I use the echo pro... I like the versatility of it, the delays sound great, and the midi function is good but I have horrible volume drop issues. You either need to set it to be used with only clean, or only dirty because one or the other will make you clip, or volume drop.

I e-mailed good old bob keeley; you know... old man keeley's boy? They said the echo pro can't have the DL-4 volume mod either... different type of circuit I guess...

So I would stay away from that unit if I were you. The only workaround which I am going to probably have to get is a line mixer to run it parallel in my loop... Jury still out on if that will make me keep it or not.

nibus

Check out the old Roland SDE series. The 2500 and 3000 are phenomenal sounding MIDI controllable delay units that cost way less than the Eventide/TC/Lexicon units, and get comparable tones.
How do they compare to the Korg SDD-3000?

nibus

bump

Looking at a D-Two pretty seriously for my main digital delay.

Any other suggestions?

Does the Line 6 Echo pro have the same models as the DL-4? What about volume drop issues?

nibus

do you need tap tempo?
i would just use the timefactor.
what does it not do that you need?
Yes I need tap tempo -

The Timefactor is good, but I want a bit more flexibility with modulation and delay quality. Basically as close to a 2290 as possible.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
I'm currently using an Ibanez AD202 analog rackmount and a DeltaLab Echotron, both early 1980s tech. I keep them in a four-space rack right next to my pedalboard and work the knobs while playing.

I absolutely love the sound, but I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE unless you want to head in that direction...

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
Very favorably! I did a session in NYC years ago. The producer had a SDD-3000. I brought my SDE-2500. After checking out sounds thoroughly, we found the 2 units to be extremely comparable in quality and tone. Wound up using the Roland on the track. I personally like the Roland SDEs better than the Korg SDDs, but others will differ. Just trying to hip you to saving some $$$ and getting a stellar delay unit. Good Luck!

nibus

Very favorably! I did a session in NYC years ago. The producer had a SDD-3000. I brought my SDE-2500. After checking out sounds thoroughly, we found the 2 units to be extremely comparable in quality and tone. Wound up using the Roland on the track. I personally like the Roland SDEs better than the Korg SDDs, but others will differ. Just trying to hip you to saving some $$$ and getting a stellar delay unit. Good Luck!
Thanks!

IvIark

I'd be tempted to just use the Timefactor as well. TC make some great gear but there's something about Eventide delay that I love, and if the Timefactor captures it something like the Eventide rack products, then I'd choose it over TC all day long. I'd happily choose an old DSP4000 over the 2290.

never-enough

as far as i rremember you cannot control the tap tempo function on the D two via midi, i have a couple friends that ditched the unit for that reason.

i dont have a time factor, but i have been considering one for a while now.
one of my friends is picking one up next week so im waiting for his report, but it seems like the flexibility is there if you dont mind spending some time tweaking it.

Ted Witcher

There is a jack for tap tempo control on the D-Two... I used a Boss FS-5U to do it. I also used my RS-10/Axess RX1 to do it, too, I seem to remember, so maybe it can work with MIDI. Can't remember how, though.

lanny

I find the SDD3000 a bear live, no MIDI or TT but a preamp circuit that's hard to beat. I rarely ever use it for delays, opting for the M13's delays instead. An SDD w. TT..that would be fantastic.

never-enough

There is a jack for tap tempo control on the D-Two... I used a Boss FS-5U to do it. I also used my RS-10/Axess RX1 to do it, too, I seem to remember, so maybe it can work with MIDI. Can't remember how, though.

as far as i know it can accept beat clock or take the external tap but you cant use a cc for tap tempo.
i could be wrong though.

pmtrub

I use the echo pro... I like the versatility of it, the delays sound great, and the midi function is good but I have horrible volume drop issues. You either need to set it to be used with only clean, or only dirty because one or the other will make you clip, or volume drop.

I e-mailed good old bob keeley; you know... old man keeley's boy? They said the echo pro can't have the DL-4 volume mod either... different type of circuit I guess...

So I would stay away from that unit if I were you. The only workaround which I am going to probably have to get is a line mixer to run it parallel in my loop... Jury still out on if that will make me keep it or not.
I've been using an echo pro for years, and I'm very happy with it, super versatile, and midi control on every parameter. I like the sound of it even more so after putting a dummy plug into the extra output to avoid the mono summing.

I haven't had any issues with a volume drop. I'm using mine in front of the amp, is yours in the loop?

Trending Topics