Radial JDX

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by rokpunk, Mar 1, 2012.

1. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

Well, after reading up on the Radial JDX box, I finally took the leap and ordered one. Any of you guys use this box live or in the studio at all? My plan is to use it live to get a second (or third) guitar sound. It's similar to a DI box, only it goes between the guitar (or bass) head, and the cabinet (works with combos too, with some short jumpers). So, it doesn't interfere with the guitar tone, but it gets the engineer another signal to work with and mix in with a mic'ed cabinet. you could, in theory, not even use a mic, but I bought this so that I'd have another option. So when I get a hotshot guitarist on my system, I can mic him with a 57, a Royer 121, and this Radial JDX. If I can't get a killer guitar sound after all that, I quit.

http://www.radialeng.com/re-jdx-using.htm

2. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Any update?.. have you used it yet?.. let us know how it sounded compared to mic'ing... I may get one if it sounds better than a mic

3. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

i use a palmer pdi-09, it's a very similar box (except it can handle direct signals as well)

you should be able to use both this AND a close mic, with very little phase issues.

if you're GOOD, you can blend the jdx signal with a room mic, and get a really nice fat wide sound.

i've also used this setup to capture bass tones, that of course favor low mids because of the tuning of the box for guitar, and blend THAT with a nice DI from a mic preamp or compressor.....

4. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Subscribed.

Batsbrew - can you use the pdi-09 without going to a speaker and not damaging your amp? You can't with the Radial JDX.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  5. AudioEcstasy

AudioEcstasy Member

In my experience anything Radial is spot-on.

6. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

yes, i use the pdi directly from my pedals!!

or, a direct or line out from a preamp, or modeler, whatever.

but ANY tube amp has to have a load.

there is no way around that.

when i'm using my tube amps, and not allowing full volume out of my cabs, i use a Weber Mass Lite attenuator to deal with that.

7. SteveO

SteveO Member

I use it instead of a mic 95% of the time when I'm recording at home. It sounds REALLY good.

8. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i bought a pair of JDX boxes and use them in conjunction with mics every show. they are good enough that i could lose the cabinet mics if i wanted to.

9. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

the sound guys i usually work with, end up preferring it, once they figure it out.

they're not the brightest bulb in the xmas tree, you know....

;)

10. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Anyone else using a JDX live?

11. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i've been using both of mine for 2 guitar rigs. i still put up a 57 for each, but 99% of the time i can work with just the jdx box's signal. it's that good. i'm about to invest in an in ear monitor system, and i think that's where i'll really notice the difference between the jdx and a microphone on the cabinet.

12. razmandi

razmandi Member

thats really exciting to hear -- im going to pick up a few and try these out.

how are you blending the JDX and the room mic and correcting any phase issues?

13. shredtheater

shredtheater Member

Love to hear about how this works for you when you get round to it. This sounds like a cool little box and the idea of having more control and consistency in sound at a gig is welcome. Not all sound engineers are created equal.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

It seems to be pretty typical for engineers to use a mic and a DI for bass guitar. I'm not sure how this relates to using this box with a guitar rig though. FWIW, I have given up and when I go into the PA with my bass rig I just use the out on my RBI. Always sounds good as long as the engineer does his job, which is most of the time.

15. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Not to diss the Palmer...I have one, I like it alot for what it does but I find most sound guys if given a choice will take a speaker sim DI over an open mic all day long. Okay, I might have exaggerated but back in the day I fought more than once with the band's sound guy to lose the DIs and break out some mics.

Palmer sounds good though.

16. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

well, the palmer is actually a cabinet filter, not a sim.

there is quite a difference between those two animals.

i've direct compared the palmer against a bevy of mics for live work, and the palmer always wins for me.
    the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages (of which i actually cannot find any)

17. sbrett

sbrett Member

I've been using a JDX for a little over a year now (live). It works great...to the point that I don't use a mic at all anymore. I also use in-ears, and I've found that maybe its not my favorite compared to a 57, but the consistency is great. My cabinet is extremely picky about mic position, and I dont have to worry about that anymore.

18. Mondoslug

Yeah? It's just a name...it's not way different than a Red Box IMO of course.

Again I like the Palmer, I actually had it in line once by mistake thinking I had that Mic input on. I got done recording & I was thinking sounds okay but my Naylor needs new tubes or something. When i was done recording i realized I had the Mic Pre on Line Input & the Palmer recorded instead of 57. I didn't care for it as much as the mic...I kept the tracks though. Palmers work well.

Hey, that's what makes the world go around.

19. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

well, of course it's different, it's a completely different design.

and sims, are totally different than filters.

20. Mondoslug

Well okay, I suppose my terminology is incorrect - neither of 'em are amp "sims". It's just what I call them trying to make the guitar sound like it's going through a speaker cab and not straight in direct for the most part.