Radial Phazer and JDX - In Ear Monitor experience

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joemail75, Jun 1, 2015.

1. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Anyone have any experience using one or both of these units? I'm specifically looking for some thoughts on how it helps with guitar tone through IEM's. I have a buddy in Nashville who has used one before and says it does help give the electric guitar more life but so far I've been unable to test drive one myself.

2. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Crap. Nothing. Am I alone in my quest for better IEM tone?!

3. Misterpops

Misterpops Member

You're not alone !!!!
    I have a JDX as well as a Headload. If you don't have 2 sources...I mean one mic in front of the amp and the DI output of a JDX, the phazer won't phase anything :)
    For your IEM question, .....It's not better than micing an amp but....You don't have any sound leak coming from other instruments near the mic source. For the tone, you'll have the sound of Marshall cab mic with a SM57....pretty similar. For live situation, nobody won't notice the difference.

If you use a headload, you can have different CAB voicing passing from UK sond to US sound (Marshall to Mesa...alike :) ) You can also bypass the voicing with the heaload and add IR response in your DAW....like with Two-NOtes WOSIII....And the Headload is also a attenuator to make your amps woark hard even if you have a low volume output at the end !

Hope that helps !

4. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Love the Headload BTW. If you can mix a mic'd speaker and the JDX of the Headload, the Phazor becomes the crucial part to avoid phase cancellations or to add them required for a particular sound. Hearing the guitar signal out of a speaker cabinet and the JDX combined, be it mono or (better) stereo is an unreal experience. No modeling unit comes even close. The Phazor in the Headload convinced me that this unit is better and better designed than any other speaker simulation/attenuator/load I have tried, and I had them literally all. For studio recording I also use the uncompensated line out from the Headload and run this signal into my DAW utilizing IRs. Man, I am in heaven. IEM is all of a sudden fun even for spoiled guitar players.

5. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I love the JDX. Been using it exclusively at gigs for almost two years. Even bought a second one to do stereo.

For IEM, it sounds just as good as having your cab miked, but consistent every time. There is a slight "in yer face" quality to it, but attribute that to there being nothing else bleeding into the mic, just 100% guitar signal without a high noise floor.

Having the Phazer or headload is brilliant if you want to record at home using two sources (the JDX and a mic). That's exactly what I do, but I don't have a Phazer, I just use a plug in on the mic channel to align phase of both. The JDX obviously serves as my close mic and I place an LDC in the middle of the room, about where I stand, at head height. Takes me 2 minutes to set up and start recorded. When I mix, I basically stereo spread the JDX slightly, mess with a stereo phase plugin on the room mic, levels to taste. It sound great as a wide guitar signal and folds to mono brilliantly. The room mic plays a very important role in this situation, but the JDX is primarly the sound.

The results are like this: